U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 06:52 PM

9,435 posts, read 5,980,478 times

Advertisements

Supposedly 30db is a "quiet rural area" according to Noise Comparisons

We're in a rural part of the county well east of Seattle, my back yard is ~36db, if there isn't much wind and the birds are quiet.
In contrast the roof of the parking garage at work in Bellevue -yuck- (4 stories up) with no one around and no cars moving is ~65db, 8x as loud as home.

Unfortunately I didn't have the app installed when I was out there, but I bet parts of Owyhee County are down to 20 or lower, very peaceful.

So how quiet is your neighborhood? You can download a free db meter for your phone if you're curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 08:39 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,173,703 times
yep its very quite where I live. Compared to where I lived in adjoining suburbs its even quite. No loud music from cars etc. About the loudest it gets is neighbor mowing his lawn during the day.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:31 PM

624 posts, read 1,043,132 times
I live in a rural area in south central Va, paved road, sometimes however it's 4 hours before a car passes by my house. It's very quiet about 80% of the time, if there's any noise it's mostly from my dogs barking. I don't mind at all.

In the summer, the tobacco farmers get their gas fired barns going, and I can hear them 24/7, but they are at a distance, doesn't bother me .

Old 07-26-2013, 09:41 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,993,144 times
Quiet enough that we hear nature over and above humans. It's quiet, sedate, restful, beautiful and enjoyable. We cherish the serenity!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,544 posts, read 41,154,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
... About the loudest it gets is neighbor mowing his lawn during the day.
Mine too!!! I am ready to buy them a diesel lawnmower, but prefer a GOAT. I am very sensitive to noise pollution. (I appreciate coming HOME from working in Asia, I'm often in apartments in small rural towns with all night kareoke , or weekends in HongKong, Singapore, KL, Penang, Bangkok, ...)

I can faintly hear the train and barges rumbling along Columbia River (1,000' below me).

NO neighbor dogs, NO NOISE to speak of. A few coyotes at sundown. (yet only 20 minutes to Portland, OR Airport) I will admit to making the most noise in neighborhood but I'm SELDOM there. Occasional Trap shooting from the deck, grinding metal projects, planting flowers with bulldozer, and cutting 7 cords of firewood / yr.

The 'app' would not do me much good. No cell coverage @ home, and forced to be on 'dial-up' for computer access...no dishes or antennii allowed. (The joys of living in a federally protected National Scenic Area)

Old 07-26-2013, 10:48 PM

5,685 posts, read 8,713,347 times
The Crickets are INCREDABLY LOUD... and those pesky coons and skunks keep coming out about nightfall and making all kinds of noise.

Seriously, I occasionally hear a car in the distance, or a gunshot, or a chainsaw...

Old 07-27-2013, 11:47 PM

3,279 posts, read 4,211,624 times
It is wonderfully quiet, which is how I practically HAVE to have it. Neighbor's barking dogs raise my blood pressure to ER-visit inducing levels, & I'm pretty big on the desire of the avoidance of the noise of sirens, loud car exhausts, other's music, leaf blowers etc. At night in the summer, you hear crickets; in the winter, nothing. On occasion you may hear a gunshot in the distance from far-away neighbors apparently target-practicing, & that's practically it. Although we're about 150 yards from a busy-sh road, the woods screen out the noise to where you can almost not hear it at all, & you surely can't see it nor can they see you.

Yet, at the same time, the 1 one neighbor I do have, about 100 yards away with woods between us as a "buffer" zone, is a disabled veteran who, besides being unbelievably silent, also can hear very little, so if I make a bit of noise on occasion he's not apt to even hear it. So if I get frustrated & shout on occasion, it's no biggie, yet they never do any of that. My kids can play outside alone, nothing bothers them & they don't bother anybody. Behind us we have a "buffer zone" of about 60 acres of woods, owned by my landlord & the other neighbor never goes onto it even though they could, outsiders can't since it's the landlords, thus it's practically mine.

And to think I only pay $50 a month for this? You can't be serious. But it's the truth.

LRH

Old 07-28-2013, 12:46 AM

122 posts, read 297,344 times
I never leave home without my earplugs.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:47 AM

20,557 posts, read 20,564,275 times
We aren't as remote as we used to be but when it's the bird that has taken up residence in the tree out front that wakes me up every morning, it's quiet enough.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:28 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,032,705 times
Quiet!

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living