U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 02:00 PM

3,945 posts, read 3,449,907 times
Two things (1) Just because the police are aware, doesn't mean they will do anything and it isn't necessarily their fault since the prosecutor needs to be the one that actually takes care of business which some don't (2) Just because they haven't made busts, doesn't mean the drugs aren't there and the situation could be worse if they are going with "hands-off".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 04:23 PM

2,226 posts, read 1,130,152 times
To those posters who keep trying to change this thread into a comparison between crime in cities and crime in rural areas: Shu Tup.No one cares what happens in cities. Let city people deal with their own situations.This thread is ONLY about meth and other drug problems in small towns and rural areas.If you feel compelled to make a comparison between cities and rural areas, start your own thread.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:00 PM

713 posts, read 549,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
We considered the greatest house in a town of 400 but I was told by the realtor that there was a lot of drug activity and we would have to be comfortable in "looking the other" way in order for it to work for us.
Your story is the first time in my adult life that I have heard of a real estate salesman making a disclosure that would jeopardize his or her commission. I will get on my knees and give thanks in public, the day I get such professional advice from a real estate salesman!

I have bought and sold nine houses during the course of job moves. Every real estate salesman I have ever dealt with, spoken to, or been hustled by either did, or attempted, one or more of the following:

lied about comps - covered up (whatever it was - knowledge about significant property or area faults) - - did not submit offers, in a attempts to drive the price down - presumably with the intent to buy the house themselves or through an accomplice before flipping it a month later - pimp their brothers - steal from customers' houses and blame it on the crowds passing through during the "Open House" - steal womens' underwear and resell it on ebay (there's a thriving secondary market among pervs in used women's underwear) - first show me absolutely overpriced dogs, in order to encourage me to offer a ridiculously high price on a more liveable overpriced dog - promise me that RE will go up forever - promise me that I will come out ahead by taking on an additional $200K in debt because I can write off the interest on taxes - look at me in panic when I ask them 'yes, but what happens when the prices tank, and I get stuck with $200K more in debt than the house will sell for'? - in order to make an extra $1 at my expense.

They have also lied with a straight face about the math - else they were too dull to comprehend it. The ones I have spoken with after the onset of the Great Recession are still attempting to convince me to take on that extra $200K in debt, interest payments, property taxes and insurance, because it will make me rich. How? Fact is, I benefit (via income tax deduction) only 33 cents out of every extra dollar of interest payments I pay out (my marginal tax rate, from the tax tables). .

I witnessed these circumstances in Upstate New York, CT, Dallas, Houston, and Metro DC, so I conclude real estate salesmen act like this wherever they are and under all circumstances. The main point on the "Ethics" portion of the RE licensing exam is to never disparage another RE salesman.

An honorable real estate salesman? Prior to hearing your story, I would have said "No such thing". Thank you for shining a beam of hope into these troubled times!

Old 11-19-2013, 12:22 PM

21,654 posts, read 27,573,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Your story is the first time in my adult life that I have heard of a real estate salesman making a disclosure that would jeopardize his or her commission. I will get on my knees and give thanks in public, the day I get such professional advice from a real estate salesman!

I have bought and sold nine houses during the course of job moves. Every real estate salesman I have ever dealt with, spoken to, or been hustled by either did, or attempted, one or more of the following:

lied about comps - covered up (whatever it was - knowledge about significant property or area faults) - - did not submit offers, in a attempts to drive the price down - presumably with the intent to buy the house themselves or through an accomplice before flipping it a month later - pimp their brothers - steal from customers' houses and blame it on the crowds passing through during the "Open House" - steal womens' underwear and resell it on ebay (there's a thriving secondary market among pervs in used women's underwear) - first show me absolutely overpriced dogs, in order to encourage me to offer a ridiculously high price on a more liveable overpriced dog - promise me that RE will go up forever - promise me that I will come out ahead by taking on an additional $200K in debt because I can write off the interest on taxes - look at me in panic when I ask them 'yes, but what happens when the prices tank, and I get stuck with $200K more in debt than the house will sell for'? - in order to make an extra $1 at my expense.

They have also lied with a straight face about the math - else they were too dull to comprehend it. The ones I have spoken with after the onset of the Great Recession are still attempting to convince me to take on that extra $200K in debt, interest payments, property taxes and insurance, because it will make me rich. How? Fact is, I benefit (via income tax deduction) only 33 cents out of every extra dollar of interest payments I pay out (my marginal tax rate, from the tax tables). .

I witnessed these circumstances in Upstate New York, CT, Dallas, Houston, and Metro DC, so I conclude real estate salesmen act like this wherever they are and under all circumstances. The main point on the "Ethics" portion of the RE licensing exam is to never disparage another RE salesman.

An honorable real estate salesman? Prior to hearing your story, I would have said "No such thing". Thank you for shining a beam of hope into these troubled times!
Any profession that must spend ad money to convince customers of how ethical they are, is clearly not.

If their stereo-type included being ethical, then it would not be included in the propaganda.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:42 AM

1,273 posts, read 934,516 times
Last couple months been dealing with people addicted to Meth. What do I expect 417 is known as the Meth Capital.

Found something I never thought of. People putting Liquid THC in E Cigarettes Makes you wonder every time you see one now

brushrunner

Old 12-06-2013, 11:01 AM

856 posts, read 349,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Potter Valley?! I finished High School there. Class of 83. Meth cookers moved in there now to. Thats a SMALL community PV is. All the haunts of my youth are being dumped on by meth. (Sigh)It's
Woosh for a second I thought the poster was talking about Lake County, Florida. Then I saw Potter Valley and redwoods..

Speaking of Lake County, Florida. I fell in love with the area and began subscribing to the local paper. Meth labs, meth labs...that paper doesn't talk much about them, but the Orlando Sentinel and a couple of other local papers do.

While visiting the area I mentioned my meth labs concerns. I was told not to worry, the meth labs wouldn't affect me! Hmm..

NVPlumber, I'm a girl who loves to hike alone, at my own pace, to take photos. It breaks my heart that the Ocala National Forest is full of meth labs, meth labs, meth labs, although it is downplayed ;(

Yup they're ruining it for us.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:51 PM

257 posts, read 165,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Don't paint the entire Midwest by your location. There are still plenty of very nice rural areas in the Midwest that are not overrun by meth heads. My area is very rural and we do NOT have a meth problem, and no, I don't have my head in the sand. We came back to the Midwest after living in the Northeast for quite a long time; one of the reasons, was to get away from the meth labs and meth heads in the rural areas we lived in out there.
Nothing to do with my location, not the origin of my comment.

Meth related crimes are rarely reported. You DO have meth addicts in your area, and most likely, some meth labs too. I don't care where you are.

Living in a rural secluded setting? Make sure you have a gun, make sure you have a secure (steel door with lock) place to run to, absolutely accesible from your bedrooom, and make sure you have a gate chime and auto lights. An absolute must in any rural midwest area, no matter what you hear....or no matter what you don't hear. Crime reports in local papers rarely if ever mention the intent of the crime. Its the new PC thing ya know. You'll find this out elsewhere.

Yes, they have meth labs and addicts all over the place. You are right about that.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:39 PM

21,654 posts, read 27,573,754 times
The nearest town's newspaper has a 'police report' column. It lists all sorts of goofy things the PD responds to; which is mostly parties and drunk driving or mis-use of license plates. Though it also lists every call the PD gets for barking dogs and prank phone calls. It is a college town. their PD focus's a lot on underage drinking. So far they have not run any stories on meth use or meth labs, not since we have lived here [6 years].

Today the nearest city's paper had a write-up about meth use state-wide. Apparently there have been 'problems' statewide, 6 busts over the last year involved meth in some manner. So I guess it is a problem here too. Not in my town, or even county, but statewide it is.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:53 PM

12,142 posts, read 21,562,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Nothing to do with my location, not the origin of my comment.

Meth related crimes are rarely reported. You DO have meth addicts in your area, and most likely, some meth labs too. I don't care where you are.

Living in a rural secluded setting? Make sure you have a gun, make sure you have a secure (steel door with lock) place to run to, absolutely accesible from your bedrooom, and make sure you have a gate chime and auto lights. An absolute must in any rural midwest area, no matter what you hear....or no matter what you don't hear. Crime reports in local papers rarely if ever mention the intent of the crime. Its the new PC thing ya know. You'll find this out elsewhere.

Yes, they have meth labs and addicts all over the place. You are right about that.
If you feel you need a gate, a gate chime, safe room, loaded gun, automatic lights, etc... and they are a MUST in any Midwest location you are either totally paranoid, delusional, or a complete fool. Never said we don't have meth addicts here, said there isn't a meth problem here. Which there isn't. You can believe what you want but I will assure you, you are wrong about MY area of the Midwest. Anywhere you go now there will be a few people who are meth-heads, but this area doesn't have a problem like many rural areas with meth labs all over, and meth-heads roaming around looking for anything not nailed down so they can score another trip. Not everyplace in the Midwest is a hell-hole like you describe, if your area is, then it might be time for you to look at relocating, but don't tell me my area is a crap-hole based on your perception. I don't have blinders on, don't have my head in the sand, not ignoring anything; sorry to burst your bubble about how bad the Midwest is.

Oh yeah the reporting in the paper. Our local paper posts photos and complete details of everybody arraigned in the County, and their crime; including drugs. No PC papers here covering up peoples crimes. You must live in a complete crap-hole.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:27 AM

10,691 posts, read 3,969,234 times
Sadly, I keep track of some old friends through the Wisconsin court system web access and I noticed an ex gf from 15 years ago was picked up with meth and a syringe. Saw her briefly 2 years ago and didn't look right, looked 10 years older than she was. There is a little girl involved. Makes me sad. She's from rural ND (where I think she picked it up) and is now in SW WI (where she has some family). Infuriates me. I hope this gets cleaned up, but this stuff is worse than coke or heroin, as it is cheaper and can be made by anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living