Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:30 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I would not put the issues with the Emerald Triangle into the same box as meth.
Meth deteriorates the calcium in the body. Meth users rob people to get thier fix.
Meth addicts are unreliable and very sketchy and no way could anyone get a good employee out of them.

The marijuana trade has its dangers, but nothing close to the impact that meth has.
Oh....I totally agree. I was using the comparison more to highlight product production methods. Use of remote locations, public lands and such. The percentage of pot farmers that are willing to commit cold blooded murder, out of hand, is quite low, in comparison to the meth trades 100%.

I lived in the Triangle area for a few years. The hype about "vicious" pot growers is just that. Hype. Propoganda to justify the billions spent fighting that "war". There were some shootings when I was there. But, it was people trying to rip off a patch that started the shooting, every time. Not the growers themselves. Not that it matters much. Some old Hippy, growing a hundred plants, gets raided by some drunk "hunters" he's still the "bad guy".

These meth cookers ARE bad guys. Where some Trinity grower might have a rusty old shotgun, used mainly to scare off critters, cookers have serious hardware. And are stone cold about using it. Please don't mistake me. I fully understand the mentallity differences twixt a N Cal grower and a meth cooker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 01:43 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Quote:
I found that site your talking about.
OK, so I'm pretty handy with Google, but I am NOT finding a site that gives these type of specifics.

Can you guys share??

Old 08-12-2013, 02:02 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
OK, so I'm pretty handy with Google, but I am NOT finding a site that gives these type of specifics.

Can you guys share??
I PM'ed it to you.

It surprised me that my county even has one in it.

Sounds crazy to hear folks on here talking about meth labs being in so many places.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:28 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Well according to that site, my county has had two labs in the last 13 years and averages 1 seizure per year... The county to the north is 1 lab and less than 1 seizure. The county to the west has had no labs and 0 seizures.

So, near as I can tell, my original theory that it's not an epidemic in my area seems to be accurate...

Old 08-13-2013, 08:38 PM

I guess there are areas with meth problems and areas without. It is not a clear urban/rural thing.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:12 AM

130 posts, read 243,546 times
^ That is true but if I can let me try to put it into perspective I normally refrain from speaking on personal experience but on this subject I'll make an exception. I'm from Columbus and no not the one in Ohio the one in Georgia a common mix up but Id rather go ahead and get that out of the way. In my city there's an excess of maybe 190 thousand people maybe more it's the third largest city in the state, meth is here but it's not as prevalent city wide, it's more concentrated in neighborhoods by the bridges that can take you from and to Alabama, and more specifically East Alabama. Where I grew up meth wasn't really a big thing it was more or less powdered coke, crack and marijuana so like many others I was well aware and familiar with crack heads and the like more so then anything else in particular meth. It wasn't until I started going more and more to Alabama that I really came into contact with meth heads and meth in general. From a contemporary stand point it was like a early episode of Breaking Bad everytime Id go over there especially in specific parts of Russell and Lee County. In my opinion and my statement might seem insensitive but Id rather be straight up then sugar coat it, meth heads are far worse than crack heads but that's just my personal opinion. The part specifically I would be at was dubbed the meth capital of East Alabama, but of course I didn't know that until time progressed and it became more and more evident. I think what's sparked a rather resurgence in nation wide meth use and I might be wrong is the more common method now of shake and bake labs without getting into too much detail I'll generalize it for those unfamiliar with this, you basically take all the ingredients place them in a jar or a bottle usually a medium sized bottle and you shake it up and down so it can mix together. I see the potential of meth becoming a problem far worse than crack was in the mid to late 80s and 90s, because of the simple fact a meth head can make it more commonly with the method i described where as a crack addict or a heroin addict would have to go to someone selling it to get it which makes in my eyes makes the potential for a serious epidemic ever more possible. The health hazards from using it are obvious I'm sure everybody here has heard of meth mouth, matter fact I know someone in their 20s not that older than me that has to use dentures because his mouth has basically rotted permanently from using it for so long. Which to me is crazy but most users will tell you whereas smoking crack might last a few minutes the high on meth can last anywhere from the entire day to a week and I've seen it happen and honestly I wish I was lying. Though for the most part it appears to be a rural and small town problem nationwide in America I don't think it'll be too long before it becomes a major city problem as well if it hasn't already.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross706 View Post
... In my city there's an excess of maybe 190 thousand people maybe more it's the third largest city in the state, meth is here but it's not as prevalent city wide, ...
That sounds like an urban problem, since you re describing an urban environment.

Quote:
... The health hazards from using it are obvious I'm sure everybody here has heard of meth mouth, matter fact I know someone in their 20s not that older than me that has to use dentures because his mouth has basically rotted permanently from using it for so long. Which to me is crazy
Wow, thank you for informing us of this hazard. I had never heard of 'meth mouth' before. Loosing your teeth is bad. That sounds horrible.

I googled it and those photos look really bad. It is hard to imagine anyone doing that to themselves.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:09 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post

I live in a town of 965 people, and used to work in a neighboring town of about 2000. I've been told which three men to stay away from because they are kingpins in the meth trade route from Canada - one of them is a city councilman. Could just be rumor, but . . . Meth is everywhere in Northern MN. It's in the pretty lake communities where rich people have summer homes, and it's in the mining towns.
I'm on 71, I suspect there is a flow of drug activity coming down from Canada. I have no real idea how much Meth impacts this community. I am quite sure I can identify much of the local activity, transaction wise, knowing what the traffic of it is. Cars that will circle and then quickly make their contact before a quick exit. It's a small town, it's obvious. Meth or Pot, who knows, but it's one or the other.

What is the impact on the town itself? Not much in the way of petty crime. What else besides those individuals participating in the activity and those immediately near them.

It's around but is it really any worse than in civilization? I doubt it.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:15 AM

130 posts, read 243,546 times
@Submariner I wasn't talking about my city though when I went into detail about meth google Lee County Alabama or Russell County to kind of get an idea of what I was talking about the areas I was speaking about which Id rather not name on here maybe have a population or 1 or 2 thousand maybe 3 and that's actually pushing it. But I'm glad it was a little informative, I thought most people knew about that.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross706 View Post
@Submariner I wasn't talking about my city though when I went into detail about meth google Lee County Alabama or Russell County to kind of get an idea of what I was talking about the areas I was speaking about which Id rather not name on here maybe have a population or 1 or 2 thousand maybe 3 and that's actually pushing it. But I'm glad it was a little informative, I thought most people knew about that.
Okay, cool.

I have seen pictures online of that condition before, but I did not know that it had a name. I dont think I have ever seen a person IRL that had such a condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living