U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 03:28 PM
khw khw started this thread

9 posts, read 33,160 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My husband and I are currently in the house hunting process and we are trying to determine about how many acres are needed to not be able to hear loud neighbors? We currently own 3 mostly open acres in a valley next to our neighbors which is a LARGE family with constant loud bass music that is driving us insane, it rattles the windows with all the windows and doors shut and the a/c running, we cant sleep 4 to 5 nights a week or have any peace when we aren't trying to sleep! If we step outside I'd say its equal to being in a club, I can sing along and can also talk loudly and not hear myself over the music. (we've tried talking to them, then calling police over and over for 3 years and it never gets better for more then an hour! so we have no choice but to move, we also know that we can sue them, but we feel its better to move and be done) We live in southwest Virginia and have a lot of mountains around, we are looking at houses in our price range with 5-8 acres, and I know wooded acres will help the most but what about uphill vs downhill? I've read conflicting ideas on this.

We know this isn't enough to never hear anyone, especially with loud bass but we want the best buffer we can and we want to be able to be in the house with windows and doors shut without clearly hearing bumping music. We don't really mind other noises, lawn mowers, leaf blowers, dogs, its just LOUD music. We are also looking for a house in the middle of the acreage so we get the best possible buffer and checking out the neighbors at different times of day, but current neighbors can change at any time.

Thanks for any advice on the uphill vs downhill and any advice on what else to be looking for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 05:46 PM

3,857 posts, read 5,384,197 times
You're going to think I'm exaggerating, but I think fifty acres is a good start. If you are lucky to find a dwelling in the middle of that acreage, that's only twelve or so acres in any direction as a buffer from neighbors. Look for something that borders a state or national forest or river. I speak from experience. A few acres doesn't cut it. Neighbors can make your property worthless, as you've found out.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:01 PM

9,439 posts, read 5,972,011 times
Sound can travel a long way, when I sleep outside at my in-laws farm I can hear cattle lowing from 1/2 a mile away. You'd need 600 acres to have that much distance in all directions.

Trees will help buffer the sound, but you're still going to be looking at dozens if not hundreds of acres depending on how loud the neighbors are. If you can buy/build near a quick stream the water sounds can make a background noise to help cover other sounds.

5 acres can sound like a lot of land, but if it's square you can have a neighbor only 200 feet away, close enough to hear some people talking, loud music would easily carry that far. That said, most neighbors aren't as bad as your current ones so moving even to another few acres somewhere else is likely to improve things for you.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:11 PM

No sirron, I don't think you are exaggerating. I totally believe it! Neighbors can make your property worthless, we are asking $20k less then similar houses in the area because of the zoo going on next door.

We started out looking for 20+ acres but we just can't afford it, we have to have internet for work which is already a challenge in this area, even slow broadband is hard to come by. Then to find somewhere within a hour commute to town (we currently drive 45mins) You are looking at well over 300k+ for even a dated rancher. We aren't opposed to a total remodel either, but we just don't have that kind of money for a house, as much as we want to be alone on a huge farm, we don't want to be house poor either. We are going to either have to rent, which after this nightmare I'm not opposed to at all, or we have to settle for the best buffer we can afford, which seems to be under ten acres

Old 08-18-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Sound can travel a long way, when I sleep outside at my in-laws farm I can hear cattle lowing from 1/2 a mile away. You'd need 600 acres to have that much distance in all directions.

Trees will help buffer the sound, but you're still going to be looking at dozens if not hundreds of acres depending on how loud the neighbors are. If you can buy/build near a quick stream the water sounds can make a background noise to help cover other sounds.

5 acres can sound like a lot of land, but if it's square you can have a neighbor only 200 feet away, close enough to hear some people talking, loud music would easily carry that far. That said, most neighbors aren't as bad as your current ones so moving even to another few acres somewhere else is likely to improve things for you.
Thanks, I didn't think about the stream covering sounds, that would help. I know we aren't going to get totally away from sounds but it sure would be nice if they were dampened.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:34 PM

2,713 posts, read 2,331,677 times
Some people have no consideration of others, and that's a shame. But human nature being what it is, people with that sort of personality are almost everywhere, so I guess finding good neighbors is simply a roll of the dice. Even if you moved to the middle of 500 acres, there's a possibility someone, near you will insist that their lifestyle is more important than anyone else's, and so, there, again, your little paradise is gone. I don't know any foolproof way to determine the quality of neighbors before you commit other than picking an area, and driving through it at different times to maybe get the feel of what the neighborhood is like. Although this isn't a guarantee of a quiet area, maybe you might see something that doesn't set well with you before you commit. We lived in our little paradise for 26 years, and then overnight people moved in next door, and started a salvage/resale business in their front yard. Needless to say we got out before our property value went into the negative. You just never know about people. Good luck on your search.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
Some people have no consideration of others, and that's a shame. But human nature being what it is, people with that sort of personality are almost everywhere, so I guess finding good neighbors is simply a roll of the dice. Even if you moved to the middle of 500 acres, there's a possibility someone, near you will insist that their lifestyle is more important than anyone else's, and so, there, again, your little paradise is gone. I don't know any foolproof way to determine the quality of neighbors before you commit other than picking an area, and driving through it at different times to maybe get the feel of what the neighborhood is like. Although this isn't a guarantee of a quiet area, maybe you might see something that doesn't set well with you before you commit. We lived in our little paradise for 26 years, and then overnight people moved in next door, and started a salvage/resale business in their front yard. Needless to say we got out before our property value went into the negative. You just never know about people. Good luck on your search.
I agree, I'm so sorry you had to go through that too! We actually drove by this house for almost two weeks before we made the final choice to buy, I stalked this house all different days of the week and times of day, my friend also lived near the house and she would check it out on her way to and from work. It turns out that our neighbors were on vacation out of the country for about a month during that time. If they had been home we would have never bought the house. So you really just never know.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:38 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,030,188 times
This was my place for years and could hear my neighbor hollering at his kids.

brushrunner

Old 08-18-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
This was my place for years and could hear my neighbor hollering at his kids.

brushrunner
Man, brushrunner that is disappointing! How many acres was this?

I think we have decided tonight with some research and the opinions here that unless we can buy hundreds of acres we might as well not stretch our budget to buy only 20 or so acres. I think we will focus on a nice house on a private wooded lot with a buffer in a good location and hope that our neighbors aren't this loud and are just normal people who might listen to a little normal level music without bringing subwoofers out on their deck for days at a time. Honestly, I think just not having to look at them and whatever disgusting mess their house is will bring our blood pressure down, because right now I can't look out most of my windows or go on the deck without being forced to look at them. It would be really amazing just to sit outside for a few minutes a day and hear any nature sounds that aren't coming from speakers. haha

Old 08-18-2013, 10:34 PM

5,685 posts, read 8,703,119 times
You don't need hundreds.... You just need to be SURROUNDED by hundreds.

I've got 80 acres, but it's surrounded by hundreds.

Nearest neighbor is about 1/2 mile.

I hear occasional gunshots, a truck in the distance, or a chainsaw.

Nearest neighbors have dogs, and I don't even hear them.

My dad once almost bought an Aframe on 1.5 acres... But it was backed up to tens of thousands of national Forrest,..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living