U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 08:57 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,428,048 times

Advertisements

"The hay is a mix of brome and alfalfa, plus a fair bit of weeds like Canada thistle.[/quote]

That tells me that the property is an old field that was seeded to alfalfa and forgotten. With some work, it can likely be put to the same uses as the surrounding fields. Boarding horses is a very profitable use for land around here. Another alternative would be to rent it out to a farmer that can develop it into cropland.

uh
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 09:00 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,684,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Thank you for all the answers. Much appreciated. I haven't done a soil test yet, but I am surrounded by canola, pea and lentil fields, so I think salinity or pH shouldn't be too big of an issue (unless I ended up getting the short end of the stick!).

The hay is a mix of brome and alfalfa, plus a fair bit of weeds like Canada thistle.
Though there have been salt tolerant varieties of alfalfa developed, I would suspect that there are likely no salinity issues if the alfalfa is healthy. Alfalfa will tolerate alkaline soils rather well, brome spp. somewhat less.

I would suspect, as uncleharley suggested, that it was seeded to pasture by a previous owner (alfalfa/brome being a very common forage mix), perhaps as pasture for horses.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living