Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 04:54 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times

Advertisements

we,ve always had john deere when I was growing up and I own a john deere on my own small farm which I work part time

however , a case dealer has opened up down the road where as the JD dealer is a little further away , I realise that the green tractor is an American icon but to the tractor owners on this site , are other makes on a par in your opinion , case is supposed to be more or less identical to new Holland and NH are the second best seller globally after JD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 05:22 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Kubota has a pretty good reputation.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:34 PM

74 posts, read 151,785 times
The best tractor is the only green one. OLIVER!

Old 09-22-2013, 08:32 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
They all have their ups and downs...like asking which pickup truck is the best...depends on what you are going to do with it.

Everything I have ever owned has been under 80hp and I've had good luck with the older MF...easy to work on,cheap to buy and although no tractor part is cheap,MF does seem to be a bit cheaper than others in my experience.

Kubota does make a good tractor,but they are kind of narrow and choppy feeling to me in this hilly area(owned an L35TB 4x4..great machine,ridiculous parts prices)..JD makes a decent tractor,but you are paying for the name and the color(like a Harley..buying the name) and woe unto you if you break something major and end up at a dealer for parts.

Older AC was a good tractor,but a lot of 2nd and 3rd gear problems and used parts are getting more scarce in my area....there are still an unusual amount of David Brown tractors left in this area..not a fan.

I guess its just up to what you use it for,what horsepower you need,what you can afford and what you like..again,kinda like a pickup truck...I would like to have a Big Bud just to garden with

Old 09-22-2013, 08:38 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
I have 20 aces and have use older Fords. Here's one of the many 8ns I've had in the past few years. Although, my health has slowed me somewhat in recent years, in my retirement I got into restoring these tractors as a hobby.

The Ford N-series tractors are extremely easy and inexpensive to repair but I would not recommend one unless you are at least minimally proficient mechanically.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1951_8n01b.jpg

Old 09-23-2013, 01:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
best tractor make

Pretty open for WHAT you intend to use / need in a tractor.

I get good service out of a '70's Kubota, but my '50's Farmall was fine while I had a FLAT farm.
I LUV may Case Dozer (70's also). 1 gal / HR
My tracked Bobcat (T300) is NICE too, but VERY spendy to operate and fix. 4 gal / HR

I also like this CASE for hillside work.
http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/...1&d=1200741734

Different tractors for different folks / needs!

Old 09-24-2013, 02:08 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
They are all the same, and yet different.

There is no single best.

I have a Massey-Ferguson.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:17 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,404,759 times
A couple things that are as important as brand.
Dealer service and support.
Ergonomics. Some tractors "feel" right, others don't.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:46 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by circleg View Post
The best tractor is the only green one. OLIVER!
I have known many loyal Oliver owners.

However, years back I went to a farm auction where the retiring farmer had 4 nice Olivers and all said................." recently overhauled "......on the auction bill.

As the tractors were being auctioned off, I commented to a stranger next to me that I had never seen all the tractors in that good mechanical shape ( " recently overhauled " )

An old farmer behind me tapped me on the shoulder and softly said............" There are only two kinds of Olivers. " recently overhauled " or " needing an overhaul"

Old 09-26-2013, 06:21 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,078,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I have known many loyal Oliver owners.

However, years back I went to a farm auction where the retiring farmer had 4 nice Olivers and all said................." recently overhauled "......on the auction bill.

As the tractors were being auctioned off, I commented to a stranger next to me that I had never seen all the tractors in that good mechanical shape ( " recently overhauled " )

An old farmer behind me tapped me on the shoulder and softly said............" There are only two kinds of Olivers. " recently overhauled " or " needing an overhaul"
Lmao...and he called it about right too.

I know a guy who comes in my shop all of the time that has two Row Crop 77 Olivers right now he's "fixin' to fix"

I had an Oliver OC4 that looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor and I ended up working on that heifer more than running it...cool little crawler,but...................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living