U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 05:49 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,030,446 times

Advertisements

I've posted regrets on selling our isolated Farm and several said how hard it must have been to give up such a way of life.

I mentioned this to my wife, that is very happy now living still in a rural area but very close to people being a Tourist area so many people 3-4 months a year. My Son says people here have a City Mentality. She says well they never lived this life and have no idea how hard it is.

In her defense she was a Jane of all Trades such as Carpenter, Plumber, Electrician, Paramedic, Fire Fighter, Mechanic and Butcher. Has walked many times miles in and out when the road became impassable, or just had to stay put because it was so difficult just to walk.

Me I'll admit I'm hard Headed and you can't tell me I can no longer do something because of my age or health.

Just saying something to consider before thinking of moving into the middle of nowhere.

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 06:53 PM

5,435 posts, read 10,047,086 times
Yes, I hear you. I've seen various folds dream of a rural lifestyle only to move closer to amenities as they age and don't want--or cant--do the long drive into shopping and medical care.

Me, I long for isolation and wild nature, but have found I do need human and social interaction, too. We moved from a big city to a town of 5500. I have the quiet, the peace of less congestion, but can walk or cycle to everything I need.

When I hear the siren call of the wild, we go and rent a place in nature's beauty, far from the madding crowd for a week or so. Then I wallow in the wildness, but on the 7th day I found myself once again longing for community, and back home we head.

As much as I'd like to believe there is an Eden for each of us, it's not apparent that there is one. Each location contains certain elements of Eden. Hence, we're always seeking. My take on it, anyhow.

But my conclusion is that the more Nature, the better. We were not meant to exist happily in concrete jungles.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:18 PM

7,841 posts, read 7,495,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
I've posted regrets on selling our isolated Farm and several said how hard it must have been to give up such a way of life.

I mentioned this to my wife, that is very happy now living still in a rural area but very close to people being a Tourist area so many people 3-4 months a year. My Son says people here have a City Mentality. She says well they never lived this life and have no idea how hard it is.

In her defense she was a Jane of all Trades such as Carpenter, Plumber, Electrician, Paramedic, Fire Fighter, Mechanic and Butcher. Has walked many times miles in and out when the road became impassable, or just had to stay put because it was so difficult just to walk.

Me I'll admit I'm hard Headed and you can't tell me I can no longer do something because of my age or health.

Just saying something to consider before thinking of moving into the middle of nowhere.

brushrunner
The biggest reason that I will probably not move back to my family's original farm when I retire is that the area lacks amenities that I think an older person should consider: proximity to health care for self and pets; good EMS; some kind of public transportation even if it's only taxi service; proximity to restaurants/socialization/entertainment especially in the winter; support network of friends/family to help out in times of need. It's not an isolated place, but it isn't a convenient place in that it's about 4 miles from a small town of about 2500. It's about 25 to any kind of real shopping and at least that to medical services other than a small emergency care facility (the hospital was destroyed by a flood about 4 years ago).

I'm thinking that what I may do is replace the small old camper with a larger one, and put in a well and septic so that I can stay out periodically from May through November.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:09 PM

Yes where we use to live I had to have an ambulance, it took hours to get me out, they finally got a Pickup back to me.

Had a neighbor get he arm ripped off by a Horse, had to drive her miles to get Life Flight out.

Now we live 7 miles from a town of 10,000 with about all we could need including a nice Hospital.

brushrunner

Old 11-24-2013, 08:43 AM

14,530 posts, read 11,954,295 times
There are certainly drawbacks to being out and away from things. Emergency medical help is a biggy, and we do dangerous stuff, every day, risking serious injury as a matter of course. That's not a matter of choice, thinvs have to get done. It's not for everyone, for sure.

My lady love lives in a nearby city. Carson City. As our relationship grows, the subject of where to li e gets discussed a lot. We agree an in between location will be the final choice. It's doubtful that cattle, horses, chickens and such will be a part of it all. To much time and expense involved, and an old injury is keeping me out of the saddle anyway.

She is a rural bred gal, so being out a bit doesn't bother her, but, we both need closer proximity to certain amenities that town offers. Besides, I would be happy living anywhere with her. Changing up a lifestyle to get the best of both worlds, or as close as possible, doesn't bother me a bit. Where she is, is all the scenic beauty I need. .

Yep, we country folks are a different breed. We work hard, play hard, and are practical. We also love deep, and are no strangers to compromise. I'm bout ready to hang up my spurs. What's waiting on the other side of that is where I want to be. Besides, as we all know, you can take the guy/gal out of the country, but ya can't take tbe country out of our heart. Plus, waking up to her each morning will be a damn sight more pleasant than waking up and having to wake up to the chore list. Lmao

Old 01-04-2014, 09:59 PM

2,713 posts, read 2,331,954 times
I agree with many here about being near medical care the more we age. It brings to mind something I saw many years ago, and has stuck in my mind.

My wife and I were on vacation on the road, and a good ways outside of Silver City New Mexico, late one evening. We came upon a line of cars that were behind an ambulance with lights on. At an intersection the ambulance turned off the main road, and there was another ambulance coming to meet it. My wife turned around as I drove, and watched as the first ambulance turned around, and went back the direction it came, and the other one did the same, heading in the direction of Silver City. This was before I had retired, and I told my wife when we retire we must be near a medical facility. I cannot imagine having some serious medical issue, and being relayed by two ambulances to a hospital. I often wonder what the situation was with the two ambulances, and what was the outcome of person/persons they were rushing to medical care with?

Old 01-10-2014, 03:34 AM

9,967 posts, read 19,297,501 times
We get a lot of folks moving out to the islands from the city. They all say they want to get away from it all. Most times they get too far away from everything and don't last real long before they go zipping back to some sort of community. They buy someplace that takes a 4WD and an hour to get to town and then wonder why they hardly ever go to town or have friends visit.

We used to live about fifteen miles out from a small town of 2,250 and several years ago moved "into town". It is just so much nicer being in town. Everything is now within bicycle distance or a very quick trip by car. We find ourselves doing a lot more things and going to a lot more gatherings since everything is so close. We are now on a smaller lot, but it's only gone from a half acre down to a quarter acre so it's still just a house lot. We are on the edge of town, though, so there's still cows just a half block over and it's still very "rural" feeling yet town is right there.

We save so much money in gas and now my DH can come home for lunch everyday so he's eating better and saving money. We can also buy fresh foods at the farmer's market instead of stocking up on stuff that stores better. The difference that fifteen miles makes is huge in our lives, one would think that if it were forty or fifty miles the difference would be even bigger.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:33 PM

399 posts, read 564,320 times
My only problem being in a rural area is how Ive noticed neighbors (think) they know everything about you, and keep up on what you do. Maybe I'm just not out far enough away.

Old 01-16-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeach View Post
My only problem being in a rural area is how Ive noticed neighbors (think) they know everything about you, and keep up on what you do. Maybe I'm just not out far enough away.

Must be because we never seen but handful of neighbors in 17 years. Where we're at now I can't figure how my neighbor knows so much unless he sets looks out the window all the time but he is head of Homeland Security in the area.

brushrunner

Old 01-16-2014, 05:30 PM

5,181 posts, read 6,005,280 times
Some excellent points to consider on this thread.

Where I am planning on retiring it is 2 miles to a gravel road, 9 miles to a paved road, and then about another 6 miles to a town of 6000.

I know it can be rough up there, my father bought the land before I was born so very familier with all its quirks.
One friend of my father was riding with him one day up there and a grizzly spooked the horse dumping the friend. He hurt his hip so bad he couldn't stand on it let alone ride out, so my father had to ride nearly 3 miles to a phone, then wait for the EMS, and while they had one of those 6 wheel things for going anywhere, he still had to put a rope on the front and use his horse to drag them part way up so they could get to the injured man. Took about 4 hours all in all, and the injured man had to listen to that griz huffing around the edge of the meadow the whole time. He had a gun, but who knows?

My wife's grandfather was gored by a bull and bleed to death before they could drive him to the nearest medical help.

It happens.

Really rural life can be dangerous, and it is one of the things I have to consider as my wife isn't in the best of health. We are several years from retirement, but if we try to live at the cabin year round it will mean a major road building and I will need the equipment to clear that road when the drifts are 10+ feet deep.

I am thinking an option is to rent a small place in town for the worst of the winter so we can be close to medical care for her if necessary, and we could do our socializing then.
It would only be about 4 months of the year we would have to live close to town, I guess I can handle that, even as iconoclastic as I am
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living