Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 07:07 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,324,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Of course there are......surprises..

Any contract that only has a minimum price is full of surprises,

You are contradicting yourself............again.
Not at all......at least to those who read....or, listen.

Even our Amish customers understood that.

Do you REALLY think anyone who take a million dollars worth of equipment on a job without a minimum charge??

The dairy farmers we have drilled for need water.......in a hurry.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:20 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,570,374 times
No expert in drilling wells, but information is out there.

Water Facts #6 Protecting Wells with Sanitary Well Caps ...

According to this, sanitary caps and grouting are used to prevent surface contamination, but grouting adds $500 - $1000 to the cost of a new well.

Going by that information but not knowing the specific sanitation regulations of your area, and the difference in price quoted, it would seem that a concrete pad would be part of the reason that bid was less than the others.
If the county sanitarian allows pads instead of grouting, it would be a way to cut corners on cost, but may lead to e-coli contamination of the water supply.

It appears that according to the study, concrete slabs are poor protection as they crack and allow contamination, but are cheaper to install, but provide minimum protection for the owner.
Existing wells are very difficult to grout, so it would be cheaper to grout the new well than to install the concrete pad and have to repair later.

Like I said, not my field so I am only guessing based on the PennState study.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:25 AM

29 posts, read 40,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
No expert in drilling wells, but information is out there.

Water Facts #6 Protecting Wells with Sanitary Well Caps ...

According to this, sanitary caps and grouting are used to prevent surface contamination, but grouting adds $500 - $1000 to the cost of a new well.

Going by that information but not knowing the specific sanitation regulations of your area, and the difference in price quoted, it would seem that a concrete pad would be part of the reason that bid was less than the others.
If the county sanitarian allows pads instead of grouting, it would be a way to cut corners on cost, but may lead to e-coli contamination of the water supply.

Like I said, not my field so I am only guessing based on the PennState study.
Thanks MT, I will research that more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.