Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 09:55 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Columbia, MS or Mississippi State? Quite a bit of culture in both places. Knoxville, TN is another.
I've lived in Knoxville for 20 years, I must have missed a bunch. While we do have events, and festivals, I think there are no more than most other cities or counties. I've never heard of "Bluebell Alabama", but then again, we don't pay a lot of attention to things "Alabama" in Tennessee. Has something to do with the SEC (and/or football) you know.

Knoxville is not exactly rural or small town either. Pop about 400K. Football games usually around 100K.

Just found this....
Much of the pilot episode of “Hart of Dixie” was filmed in the lovely Wilmington, North Carolina, which you may have recognized from CW staples “Dawson’s Creek” and “One Tree Hill”. But since then, they’ve brought filming back to Los Angeles and have recreated the fictional town of Bluebell, Alabama on the Warner Brothers lot. [LiveTheMovies ]

If you’re a fan of the HBO series “True Blood”, you probably recognized the exterior of the Rammer Jammer as the same that stands in for Merlotte’s. That’s because this exterior is on the Warner Brothers backlot, which both shows use for filming. [LiveTheMovies ]

"Elvira Mistress of the Dark" was also filmed on this lot.

Right nearby, in the “jungle” area of the WB backlot, is a little shack used as Wade’s cabin. It was used as a cafe in Million Dollar Baby and has been seen on “Pretty Little Liars” and “The Mentalist” as well. [LiveTheMovies ]

If you're a fan of “Pretty Little Liars” or “Gilmore Girls”, you might have noticed the town square setting from the parade scenes (episode 102) in “Hart of Dixie” — that’s because it’s all the same town square! That’s right: Stars Hollow, Rosewood, and Bluebell are all the same with some different set dressings. [LiveTheMovies ]

Last edited by Barking Spider; 01-04-2015 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: found info on filming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 03:22 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,120,976 times
It's not so much one town as the area. In Western North Carolina the festival season runs from early spring to late fall with one or more towns having some kind of festival almost every weekend, and most towns have a weekly gathering at the local town center. For instance, Franklin, NC has "Pickin' on the Square" every Saturday evening from Memorial Day through October, in addition to it's festival lineup ... Town of Franklin North Carolina - Calendar of Events . And this is just one town out of many in the area who have similar calendars. So, even though BlueBell doesn't exist, you can get pretty close to the idea of it, just look around!

Last edited by Last1Out; 01-08-2015 at 03:41 AM..

Old 01-29-2015, 01:32 PM

1 posts, read 7,675 times
Natchez mississippi has everything including the nasty uppity bells

Old 02-06-2015, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 7,600 times
Default Definitely!

I live in Fairhope, Alabama. Part of Baldwin county, which is about 15-20 miles from Mobile alabama which is mentioned in the show frequently! Mobile bay actually runs through Fairhope, Alabama and is where most people fish off Fairhope pier. Fairhope and a majority of the surrounding areas are much like Blue Belle, though Blue Belle itself does not actually exist. The furth south of Alabama you get the better it is! Come down and visit

Old 05-28-2015, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 7,164 times
I'm glad I'm not the only one doing this search haha! I just started watching the show and I also fell in love with the sweet little town. But I guess it started when I watched Once Upon a Time. They basically have the same type of town

Old 10-17-2015, 11:12 PM

11 posts, read 29,512 times
Default Maybe the makers of the show know

It's possible that the writers of the show were basing it on a town they knew. I know it's a leap, but I might ask them. I miss the show so much that I am looking for such a town to move to. The only small towns I've lived in were very depressing and the people were, too. I would love to live in such a town as Bluebell, where everyone cares for one another. And they have Celebrations about everything. Having Wade, Lavon and George there wouldn't hurt either.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:36 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Keep in mind that "festivals" aren't really for the residents in most cases but to draw in tourists to spend money at the businesses.

We have "events" almost constantly during the summer (concerts, movies on the beach, campfires on the beach, wine festival, farmer's market and classic car show every Friday, dragon boat races, being a stop on various motocross and bicycle runs, Bay and harvest fest until this year). So many that we're looking to cut back.

There is impact to residents from all of those ranging from street closures to traffic to people parking in the residential area and blocking driveways and streets to litter. Not to mention the staff time for organizing all of it.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:44 PM

11 posts, read 29,512 times
North Beach Person:I live in Hampton Roads/Virginia Beach area and we also do a lot of things to draw tourists. And of course the residents are not too thrilled by having the tourists in town. I don't really consider myself a southern small town like in Blue Bell which was in the Deep South. Also, some small towns have all of these events just because it draws the town together. Not all towns have tourists like we do.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,998 times
Would love to find a town like Bluebell, Alabama to live. Are there any around? Love the atmosphere.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 5,842 times
Kings Mountain, North Carolina It is a very small lovely town. Everyone takes care of everyone. Lots of town activities and gatherings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living