U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2014, 01:16 AM

17 posts, read 28,643 times

Advertisements

Boy I can write a book on this! I have all my life loved the state of TN. About 8 years ago we were going to a family reunion in said state and had a few days to kill before so decided to look for property. Long story shortened we wound up buying a foreclosure of a double wide trailer on 9 acres on the side of a mountain in a very small town (just over 900 pop) The home was on a road that literally when we first drove up to see the place my jaw dropped to my knees. My first thought was METH LABS! However the property had a stunning view and a structurally sound home so we bought it. The neighbors have never bothered us and we don't bother them, except for one time..... I had my grand-daughters up for a visit and she kept wanting to meet a little girl who we occasionally saw down the road. We walked on down and I knocked on the door (now mind you not one person on that road ever came to welcome us)and the lady of the house finally answered the door. I introduced myself and explained that my grand-daughter was wanting to meet the little girl...well I have never been treated so rudely that I can recall. It was hurtful. So yes I would advise to greet your new neighbor and don't assume anything negative about them. Even our double wide trailer is one of the three nicest looking places on the road because we work at it and we enjoy working at it. I have a live and let live attitude but we have been referred to as "high falutin'" and "high rollers" at times by job estimators which was said in jest but told us that we probably weren't really welcome. It is sad but I just wanted you to give your neighbors a fair shot.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 07:54 PM

15,144 posts, read 15,198,298 times
Maybe you should send them a message....you ain't welcome carpetbagger:

Family Guy - Kermit The Racist Frog - YouTube

Old 02-21-2014, 12:15 AM

3,388 posts, read 5,541,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
It isn't your place to say whether or not the house needed to be rehabbed.

Let this go. I'm sure the new buyers know what kind of neighborhood they are moving into. No one blindly just buys a house without knowing anything about where they will live.
You are joking right?!

There are posts all over this site of people asking a few questions before and sometimes AFTER they purchase property well away from them.

Also "flipping" rural homes is a big market now, and some of the people that buy these properties have NO CLUE about living anywhere but on 5th Ave in downtown NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I must admit really loving the people who plant flowers, and find them consistently gone! There is this one woman, who every year, for the last two years, has planted vegetables, new trees, trying to make her home "perfect", yes, it is...perfectly delicious to deer! She now has fencing around the new trees, and flower beds, fenced over the flowers!

She is now looking at spraying her trees with some sort of deer repellent, and asked SO about it, before we sold his house....we told her, "We love deer, that is why we live here...". Crazy. They move to the sticks for wildlife, then try to get rid of it!
I love deer too, it goes great with taters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The OP needs to move to a subdivsion with an HOA. Then she can get on the board and dictate landscaping and everything else to her neighbors. She apparently lives in a not very pretty residence and doesn't believe her neighbors have a right to anything better. This is not about a rural lifestyle; this is about playing bigshot.
I'm amazed that someone from Wyoming would take such a stance, since the state is essentially a large rural area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
What they do on their own land is none of your business !

They have done nothing off their land to offend you, yet you are obsessed with imagining that they will.
It's a real threat. I have personally seen what these idiots do. First, they are all sweet and curious, then BAM complain complain complain. Complain about your tractor, complain about your cows, complain about your cattle dogs barking and chasing away coyotes in the middle of the night, complain you don't mow and manicure your pastures (FYI manicures are for HANDS not lands!), then complaints about guns during hunting season, then complaints about how bad the roads are during winter, then complaints about how unfriendly you are for not going out of your way to plow their road/driveway, etc.... and on and on and on.

The problems only exponentially grow worse the more of them move near you; next thing you know your property taxes are more yearly than you paid for the land to begin with, you are forced to comply with their citified rules/regulations, and if you can't you have to move, and take all your messy nature/country stuff with you. They just want to live in the country in peace with their kelly green lawns, curbs, sidewalks, no livestock, no wide animals invading their gardens, flowers, garbage, no tractors, no smells, nothing but nice sterile living.

BAH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Truthfully? I've actually seen people who were so desperate, in the middle of a years-long drought, to have the requisite "green" lawn (this in an expensive neighborhood in a time when if you actually had a green lawn all of your neighbors knew that you were taking more than your share of water and a green lawn became a Bad Thing as a result) that they astro-turfed the ENTIRE large yard, front and back.
I've seen people spray paint their lawns and dead evergreens, lol!

Old 04-02-2014, 12:08 PM

186 posts, read 295,490 times
I agree with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I don't at all understand the bashing and attacks on OP here. He expressed a concern. That's how he feels. What's the point of other posters saying that they feel differently? How is that helpful?
I am surprised to see the bashing and some of the responses don't seem like they are coming from someone residing in a rural area. I get what the OP is saying, there is a certain esthetic in the area that creates uniqueness and character for the people who live there and have probably lived there for a long time. Someone coming in and clearing all the trees and creating a cookie-cutter house doesn't fit the esthetic and it does throw everything off. It also creates anxiety as to "what next".

In a way, it does speak volumes about the new neigbor, in that they aren't really considering the overall "feel" of the area by clearing trees and whatnot, especially if it's heavily wooded. You have every right to be concerned about what else they will be bringing along.

I can relate in several ways, I will soon be moving into a house in a rural area on a street that only has a handful of other houses. Several of them are farms or acreage that has remained within the same families for over 100 years. The seller of the house was the original owner of about 45 years, when they bought the land from the neighboring farmer. At the inspection, it was recommended that I remove a couple of large old oaks that were dangerously close to the house, and whose root systems could become a nuisance in the next couple of years. I cringed at that idea, and will probably try to figure out a way to keep them, but it does present the possiblity of a tree coming down on my roof. The reason I'm telling you this is to consider that maybe the new neighbors had to clear some trees, but plan to replant in a safer area.

also, consider that they may be urbanites or suburbanites who really long for a rural lifestyle, and will eventually assimilate, but right now they are just doing what they've always done in the cul-de-sacs. Or maybe they are idealists that may be in for a rude awakening and will quickly move out. You never know unless you talk to them and find out what their intentions are. In either case, stand your ground and if you are close with the other long-term neigbors let them know and lead by example. Show the new neighbors by example how things are in the area and don't feel intimidated or that you have to change anything you're doing. If they don't like it they can leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Tell them about the current character of the neighborhood and how much you enjoy it and don't want it to change. In fact, encourage other neighbors to go over and express the existing neighborhood point of view. The more of the current residents who visit them, and keep visiting them, the better! Hopefully you'll find out there won't be a problem. And if you find that there WILL be a problem - keep going over there and talking with them. Keeping the communication lines open can prevent bigger problems in the long run.

I feel for you - I loathe that suburban weedkilled sterile look myself.
I somewhat agree with the above tactic, but rather than telling them what your idea of the perfect neighborhood is supposed to be I would recommend asking them about where they lived, if they like the outdoors, etc... make it about them and you will learn a lot.

Again, I am facing a similar situation. The seller of my new home has nephews that live in the house down the road and they were really concerned about me as the buyer...whether I liked the woods, nature, etc. I've had a really nice conversations with the seller and she knows that her house/neighborhood/location, etc. is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Any changes will be to personalize the home over time, but I love the home for what it is now...

Old 04-05-2014, 05:41 AM

1,864 posts, read 1,337,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
True, I couldn't care less what they do with their property, they can cut down every tree, not my business.

Maybe it is nothing and they won't bother anyone and can live in their one-house HOA wannabe subdivision. It's just an odd choice. There are many fine subdivisions in the area for that type of taste. I suspect they want the benefits of rural living along with the aesthetics of suburbia. If they can keep on their lot, good enough. They will be a lone duck though.
Reading your posts reminds me of why I moved away from the small town I grew up in.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:21 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,453,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane
The house across the street has been on the market for a while and is sold. I have no idea who bought it. It had been purchased and "rehabbed" by an investor, then resold. It didn't need to be rehabbed, it was quite nice before. It is still empty but the buyer has been sending workers over a lot. My concern is the new owner seems to be doing even more work on the house, including cutting trees and doing some things that seem over the top and out of character for this neighborhood.
I feel for you...... He will probably MAKE IT UGLIER and think its better!!

Good luck my friend!

Old 04-05-2014, 11:47 AM

5,048 posts, read 6,392,001 times
I wonder if he liked your live and let live area.

And his idea of a dream home was the perfect suburban home he had strived for in his old hoa...only on some land, some rural surroundings, less expensive so he could afford to really do the house up as he had dreamed of, and no hoa and a feel, instead, of live and let live.

Have you met the owners yet?

Old 04-12-2014, 06:08 PM

7,188 posts, read 2,499,279 times
It has been a couple of months since this thread started - I hope the OP comes back and tells what happens when the new owners move in!

I lived in a rural, very wooded area once. Only neighbor we could actually see was an older gentleman, and we could really only see a corner of each property. Anyways, we sold, new owner takes down EVERY tree on the property. Old neighbor is out mowing one day, and so is new owner. Old neighbor 'bout has a heart attack - turns out the new neighbor is a nudist/sun worshipper, and is mowing nudely. I have always wondered if the old guy listens for the sound of a mower before he goes out to mow now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living