Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 09:21 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
City people should stay in the city.
If they come out to "the country" to escape the city and rat race, then they need to leave "the city" behind and not try to change things. Don't rock our boat or screw with OUR way of life.
We don't want McDonalds or 7-11's. And we don't mind self hauling our garbage either.
We like trees too. Assimilate or stay in the city.
You live in an unusual area. I'm twenty miles from town of 9.000, but a garbage truck (private company) comes every week. There is a McDonald's in town although I've never been there. I do, however shop at Walmart regularly. If Cody didn't have a McDonald's, the closest to me would be 120 miles.

Rural living needn't mean deprivation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 09:19 AM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
We have private Carter's if you want pick up.
I have no problem self hauling. The savings is well worth it.
No more cans or debris in the streets on pick up days. Its nice.
I have all the shopping I need within a half hour. We do have a chain grocery store in town and gas stations nearby, the essentials. We have what we need for every day living.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:11 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,019 times
Quote:
We have private Carter's if you want pick up.
I have no problem self hauling. The savings is well worth it.
No more cans or debris in the streets on pick up days. Its nice.
I have all the shopping I need within a half hour. We do have a chain grocery store in town and gas stations nearby, the essentials. We have what we need for every day living.
Where is in the Basket on Long Island, if that is where you live. I don't know of anywhere on Long Island that is rural.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
Where is in the Basket on Long Island, if that is where you live. I don't know of anywhere on Long Island that is rural.
East end of the island. The twin forks. Rural.
I dont live in the basket anymore.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:18 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,303,849 times
^The ignorant part of me having never been there, would immediately dismiss any part of long island as being rural. However I remember reading about this guy who has s 70 foot diameter 45 high geodesic dome on long island and his property looks fairly rural considering how close it is to one of the world's biggest cities.https://www.6sqft.com/long-islands-g...-in-the-world/

I love domes so I can really appreciate this guys house. I live in several domes myself. I have a 31 foot diameter, a 23 foot diameter, a 20 foot diameter and two 16 foot diameter domes all made from metal and recycled materials. I'm currently fabricating a 48 foot diameter dome right now that will go up this summer. It will then be connected to all the other domes. A very crazy biodome type structure.

Anyways, domeguy on long island has cool digs. If you ever see him tell him I'm a huge fan.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:45 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,019 times
Quote:
East end of the island. The twin forks. Rural.
I don't live in the basket anymore.
I have been looking into Eastern Long Island, found out a friend has distant family in Greenport, I have only been to western LI.

Taking your garbage to the Transfer Station made me more aware of how much garbage we produce which is how I honed my recycling skills. Although without curbside pickup illegal dumping would skyrocket.

My family has property on Long Beach Island (LBI) NJ since the early 70's and have lived in the area since the 60's. LbI was mostly a barrier island while I grew up and now every inch if it is developed. They had a strict development law to keep it Mom and Pop stores but over time it has been relaxed. Now we just wait till the summer's over to go there after tourism season.

I spoke with people that grew up on the island after Sandy and they said there was never a need for flood insurance it was just expected that when your house washes away your on your own which was fine. Now there are these huge monster houses every square inch. I am more for the the small cottage, where here to be outside not hangout and watch TV.

The McMansion craze is over and now it's the tiny house craze. Whats the matter with a 1'500 sf cape or ranch with some style and a yard to playin?

I think the only way to curb the divide is through education to know the world around you and to find your strengths outside the bubble you grew up in. Not learn about the world through the internet or a Twitter post.

Old 02-14-2018, 06:56 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
You live in an unusual area. I'm twenty miles from town of 9.000, but a garbage truck (private company) comes every week. There is a McDonald's in town although I've never been there. I do, however shop at Walmart regularly. If Cody didn't have a McDonald's, the closest to me would be 120 miles.

Rural living needn't mean deprivation.
Interesting what you consider "deprivation". What people consider deprivation when they move to rural areas and think they MUST have (chain restaurants out the wazoo, street lights and "security" lights, lots and lots of shopping, sidewalks everywhere) could be a large part of the problem.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:19 AM

People are brainwashed into believing they *need* certain things.
It's a bunch of horse crap.
I get the "how can you live without" this or that or "I could never live like that" nonsense from people all the time. Like I live like an animal in deplorable conditions. Moving away from that shallow and soulless mentality is the best thing I ever did. Wish I had been in a position to do it sooner.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:49 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Quote:
I get the "how can you live without" this or that or "I could never live like that" nonsense from people all the time. Like I live like an animal in deplorable conditions. Moving away from that shallow and soulless mentality is the best thing I ever did. Wish I had been in a position to do it sooner.
You live a short distance from NYC, Long Island. You're in the most densely populated section of the country. You do not live in a rural area.

I live 20 miles from a city of 9,000, 100 miles from the nearest interstate, 120 miles from the nearest city of over 100,000 (it's the largest city within 500 miles), and 500 miles from the nearest major metropolitan area. The average population density of both Wyoming and Park County is 4 per sq. mile. That's rural.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:24 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Well, we are carefully trained to be a society of consumers, after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living