Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 02:27 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times

Advertisements

Heavy equipment operators seem to be in small towns and in high demand. Also highway workers are everywhere. Our town of 4,000 still needs hospital workers, lawyers, therapists and there are many government workers. And good mechanics. The guy with the tire store is always busy.

What they don't need is more art galleries, retail shops, restaurants or masseuses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 09:13 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Where I'm from theres a lot of manufacturing. We have 3 Sargento plants, Land o Lakes, John Deere, Ariens, Worthington, Hennings Cheese, maybe not all in Chilton but a short commute can get you some pretty good paying work.
Then there's always grocery and fast food.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:57 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Always remember about small towns/rural areas...........if any self employed business was profitable, why hasn't any locals doing it ?
There's typically a variety of reasons other than the (perfectly legitimate) "lack of work" you cite.

An example that comes to mind is the local butcher shops:

When (if) my health improves I intend to get the training, there's 2 in my area, they are both scheduled for months, and quite frankly.... they suck.
People just use them because there's not a better option.

I do a little now.... I don't want to do it for a living (I could) but I'm just going to do it for free meat.

Large shops.... heavily regulated.
Mobil butcher shops are a FDA exception.

Loopholes+ 'dirty jobs' etc = opportunity.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:23 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Around here, medical and associated support services. The hospital systems have internal IT, finance, and various other support staff. We have one Fortune 500 chemical company that has a lot of engineers. Schools require people with degrees.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:42 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Two good fields to be in if you want to move out of the big city is education and medical.

Many smaller cities within driving distance of living real rural have schools and clinics/hospitals/ nursing homes.

In my former state, once you are about 4,000 pop + you will have all that I mentioned.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:47 PM

45,331 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Two good fields to be in if you want to move out of the big city is education and medical.

Many smaller cities within driving distance of living real rural have schools and clinics/hospitals/ nursing homes.

In my former state, once you are about 4,000 pop + you will have all that I mentioned.

Except getting a teaching job in one of those types of areas can be almost impossible.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:12 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Except getting a teaching job in one of those types of areas can be almost impossible.
You paint with too broad a brush.
I served two terms as an elected school board member in our school district.

Many teachers were hired from outside the district who had no connection to anyone with in the district.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:47 AM

45,331 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
You paint with too broad a brush.
I served two terms as an elected school board member in our school district.

Many teachers were hired from outside the district who had no connection to anyone with in the district.

More of an available openings issue was what I was thinking, although what you mentioned can also be at play.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:56 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
The thing about teaching in rural areas and small towns (which I've done, and was also a K-12 student in a small town district with parents employed in small town districts and a parent who has served over twenty years on a rural consolidated school board), is that the openings tend to be irregular. There generally are people who are from the area who intentionally plan to teach in the area, who sit in positions for years. There are young/new teachers who wouldn't necessarily choose the location, but take the foot in the door/first teaching experience, but small town life isn't ultimately for them. Overall, the teachers who have local connections are the ones most likely to stay for the long term.

Salaries can be lower, depending on circumstances, but so is COL, generally. There are politics of identity involved, often...not just in getting the job, but in dealing with students and who's related to who and who's parents are what in the community, which is magnified more than it is at a larger system, where there is more anonymity, and parents who are community bigwigs or notorious on the other end of the spectrum are more dime a dozen.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:05 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The thing about teaching in rural areas and small towns (which I've done, and was also a K-12 student in a small town district with parents employed in small town districts and a parent who has served over twenty years on a rural consolidated school board), is that the openings tend to be irregular. There generally are people who are from the area who intentionally plan to teach in the area, who sit in positions for years. There are young/new teachers who wouldn't necessarily choose the location, but take the foot in the door/first teaching experience, but small town life isn't ultimately for them. Overall, the teachers who have local connections are the ones most likely to stay for the long term.

Salaries can be lower, depending on circumstances, but so is COL, generally. There are politics of identity involved, often...not just in getting the job, but in dealing with students and who's related to who and who's parents are what in the community, which is magnified more than it is at a larger system, where there is more anonymity, and parents who are community bigwigs or notorious on the other end of the spectrum are more dime a dozen.
Our Daughter-In-Law landed a good job teaching at her hometown high school. Wages are not high, but still pretty good given the low COL. She was renting a nice 3bdrm house for $450/month. We thought she was doing very well for herself until she married our son, who is in the Army. She had never left the state, and had a good career lined up in her hometown. She had to quit that job though to be with him somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living