Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 06:13 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,672,801 times

Advertisements

We're having the worst drought in 40 years out here (No CA), so I was worried about the lush green weeds growing in one spot close to the irrigation line. I thought I had a leaky pipe.

I dug up the weeds and found instead two concrete boxes, one 16" sq and the other 18" sq, separated by about 8 feet. They both have heavy concrete paver covers. They both have 2" - 4" PVC pipes on three sides and both had standing water in them. I believe they are connected by the 4" PVC pipe, but I haven't dug out the 8 ft between them yet so I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any ideas about what these things are, why they are there, and why there's water in them? Why have two boxes? They are located very near the property line fence, so I can't explore too far. There are no similar oases of green vegetation uphill. The adjacent property is also unirrigated pasture and the nearest house is at least 1/2 mile away, so I don't think I'm getting runoff from someone's septic tank (yuck). My own house and septic are downhill several hundred feet.

I've attached some photos; also cross posting to the House Forum.
Attached Thumbnails
mystery water boxes in the pasture-mystery-boxes-001.jpg   mystery water boxes in the pasture-mystery-boxes-002.jpg   mystery water boxes in the pasture-mystery-boxes-004.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 11:50 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Is there a surface water supply of some sort uphill from them? Or a windmill, or the remains of one? They look like junction boxes for some kind of gravity-flow irrigation system. Not sure why there would be two, unless it's to divert the water in more directions.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:12 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Since the pipes are all open within the boxes, I would expect them to be the end of the line for a surface water drainage system. There may be an uphill drain tile or field that feeds into this to allow the water to drain during periods of rain to prevent mudslides or other erosion. If deep enough in the ground they could be filling up with ground water from the house
1/2 mile away of they are watering the yard, and are at a higher elevation. There could even be an underground spring at that location, and this is the collection point for the water to run off to another location so it doesn't puddle up.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:19 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,672,801 times
Ding! Ding! Ding! Duster & hemlock, I think you are on it. The boxes are very close to the present irrigation line, which is pump-driven. I asked my irrigation guy about gravity-flow when I moved here and he said the drop in elevation between the canal and the property wouldn't give me enough pressure, but I'm betting that back in the day there was a wind-powered or gravity system. Wikipedia says that PVC started being used for piping in the late 1920s, so they could be 80 years old. The boxes are right at the surface, so I don't think it's a spring or seep or ground water, especially given that water collects in them despite the current drought.

The only thing I still can't figure out is why two boxes. Another poster suggested it was to remove sediment, and from the placement of the pipes it's obvious that's what they're doing (I fished out a bunch of muck from the bottom when I discovered them), though settling it out twice seems like overkill. The outflow pipes go in the same directions (north and east) in both boxes.

I love a good mystery and figuring this out is great fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living