Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When You Hit It...
Your Highbeams/Brights were On 17 19.32%
Your Headlights were on 44 50.00%
It was Daylight 24 27.27%
It was Dark and Your headlights were OFF 3 3.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 08:02 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,284,741 times

Advertisements

Up here in Alaska you have to dodge giant moose not deer.... People hit them all the time. This video does not appear to be filmed in Alaska but is a moose collision none the less. This driver was lucky, they are often fatal.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qQjnbR_2Xf8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 08:19 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,282,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I bagged a ten point buck on I-86 just outside the Jamestown city limit with my year old Hyundai Elantra about a week before the opening of rifle deer season. He jumped out of the center median, hit the driver's side quarter panel, bounced off the hood, took off the driver's side mirror, and landed dead in the median. If I had been going faster or slower, he might have very well landed in my windshield!
When I was growing up my family vacationed at Chautauqua Lake. My father used to take us kids out at dusk to spot deer. More like spot deer HERDS. There were plenty to see between Jamestown and Mayville, NY.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,346 posts, read 80,658,912 times
Last time I drove through the Methow Valley, WA I was surprised that we didn't hit one, it was almost like a video game driving and having them run across in front of the car every 100 feet or so.

http://www.huntwashingtonstate.com/H...ill%20sign.JPG

Old 02-13-2015, 09:10 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,639,286 times
Just once, in west Texas, at night. Did not even see it happen; the deer must have been on the side of the road and I "bumped" it back into the woods. No damage to car but lots of hair...I've always hoped the poor animal was okay.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:51 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,797,253 times
Twice the same year. Once in June, again in August. On the same road about a half mile apart. Both times around dusk. First one ran into the left front wheel, the other came over or around a six foot stockade fence on the right and tried to go over my Cherokee. Never saw that one. It broke off the sideview mirror, kicked out the rear passenger window and kinked the roofline behind the back door. Total about $7,000 damage. First one went to the big salt lick in the sky the second jumped up and ran off.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:58 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,506,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Do any of you have those little deer whistles you can mount in your grill to scare them off? I've wondered if those work.
How do I find these deer whistles & what do they look like? I need them, have had too many close calls! Thanks if you can answer!

Old 02-14-2015, 06:46 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,395,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
How do I find these deer whistles & what do they look like? I need them, have had too many close calls! Thanks if you can answer!
They're available at most car parts stores and some department stores.

If they have a couple different models, I've found it's best to get the better set. Not sure if they've changed lately but the cheaper ones had an audible whistle which can be maddening when you have to hear it all the time. The better ones get into higher frequencies (like a dog whistle) where animals can hear it but you don't.

When you install, make sure it's in an area where the rear of the whistle isn't obstructed. Air needs to pass through them to work. (In the grill area is a common place. They're not really visible, protected from being ripped off from car washes and stuff but air can still pass).

Most look like this. As pictured, the right side is what faces forward.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:01 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,204,676 times
Default Why don't those dumb deer learn?

The reason why a deer collides with a motor vehicle is that their instinct is to out run/leap you by passing in front of your car/truck.

Best thing you can do, if you have time, is to brake, stay on the road and square up your vehicle so the impact won't knock you into immovable objects like trees.

Inaudible bumper whistles don't work.

I read that some highway departments have tried to put reflective mirrors angled into the woods to shine your headlights into the deer's eyes to get it to "freeze in the headlights." Since I am sure deer are looking down the road right into your head lights, shouldn't work.

Hitting a deer is about the same as hitting a bag of wet cement. I have hit deer twice. The total cost to fix the damages were about $8,000.00.

I saw a Dodge Ram truck in for repair with no windshield and its roof peeled back from a deer collision.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:08 AM

1,491 posts, read 2,230,239 times
Three ran across the road in broad daylight, I hit the last one badly and had to go home, get my dad's rifle and shoot it. Called the boys at the filling station down the road and told them to come get it, and they did and , I presume, put it to good use.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:10 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,922,854 times
Living in a semi rural area with lots of trees and farm land, I have had more than a dozen 'near-hit' car incidents with deer. The only deer encounter of the direct contact kind we experienced was with our little plane while landing at our home-based airport. People always asked us whether it was a flying reindeer when learning about the incident ;-)

It happened during daytime (at around 4:30pm) in May. We had both the landing and taxi lights on. Even though we reduced power during landing, the engine/propeller noise was definitely much louder than a deer whistle! Knowing that there could be deer in the vicinity of an airport, we always scan the runway and airport ground before take offs and landings but there was a deep ravine with tall grass/weeds near one end of the runway.

On that particular fateful day (for the deer!), we had just returned from practicing short field landing at a nearby airport with very short runway. My husband demonstrated his newly sharpened skill by landing just past the number. Acting as the co-pilot, I scanned the landing path and spotted the deer slowly walking up the ravine slope toward our path. Husband heard my warning but he was already on the ground and there wasn't enough time or room to do a go around. It wasn't safe to swerve or stomp on the brake either so he just kept the plane rolling. I thought we lucked out in seeing the last deer got to the other side of the runway but for whatever reason, the scared creature decided to back track and ran right into the plane. The damage was minimal with just a dent in the side corner of the firewall and a bent muffler. It was a lot worse for the poor deer! When I got out of the plane to inspect the damage, I was ill to see blood/ stomach content splattered everywhere and the deer entrails dangling on the sidewall! There were only a few hair and a tiny drop of blood on the propeller but this evidence of a contact required an engine tear down for inspection. Luckily that we had the plane fully insured ant the insurance picked up the >$30K repair tab! It could have been much worse if we had taken some evasive maneuver which could have caused the plane to flip. We walked away unscathed and it was the most important thing. It's interesting that I got a compliment from the pilot who landed after us. He told me that he could not believe how calm my voice was when I announced on the CTAF that we just hit a deer and its carcass was still on the runway. He told us that the deer was thrown to the edge of the runway and there was no obstruction debris on his landing path.

Last edited by BellaDL; 02-14-2015 at 09:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living