Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:36 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Where do you want to draw the line on what to kill?

To make the moles leave, you can kill their food source (e.g. grubs) on your property.
Suggestion for killing grubs? Does it involve toxic spraying? We had Japanese Beetle larvae all over our former property which I sprayed for. Got rid of them, but product I used made me sick & was later removed from sales...carcinogen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 04:25 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Maybe you could relocate the grubs.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:28 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
It'd too large an area sonic devices. Guess we will try castor oil. I found a lot more posts in the Garden forum, had no idea they are such a problem. If anyone else has a (nonsarcastic) idea, please post.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Maybe you could relocate the grubs.
Actually, their major diet consists of earthworms. Those you don't want to kill, since they are beneficial. Much better to kill the moles.

Old 02-25-2015, 07:41 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
Will this stuff make the dogs sick?

BTW, my big dog could care less about the moles.

The small dog is obsessed with them...digs down after them, tries all day when she's outside to get at them...digs the holes even deeper, but the only result is a very dirty dog, and more holes.
Your small dog sounds like a terrier mix. Terriers were original bred to hunt rodents of various types, often going after them in their burrows, which is why most terriers are small, feisty, and frequently exhibit amazing fearlessness. They also dig alot.

The digging is why cats are better for mole hunting. They will locate a frequently used tunnel and wait with infinite patience for the mole to use that entrance.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:44 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
grubs like to eat grass roots, get rid of your grass

Old 02-26-2015, 05:01 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,834,581 times
We have them too. We are trying to clear a 3 acre area around the house so we can reasonably mow the area. The castor granules worked fairly well. The area around the house where we concentrated it has not gotten a mole return however if you are doing more than a small to medium yard, it gets prohibitively expensive.

We have cats that roam the property but as far as we know, they aren't hunting the moles. Our smaller dog tries to dig after them but is ineffective. Too slow.

We finally had to consider the traps. The ones with the spikes set above ground did nothing in our heavy soil but the ones shaped like scissors do the trick. We have too much rural area around us to completely get rid of them but slowly we are spreading castor, trapping and we have far fewer than we did.

We note that ground that is relatively sterile (your neighbor's golf course) due to heavy fertilizing and pesticides have few to no moles. We are not going to be doing that so we will always have a few moles.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:01 PM

743 posts, read 832,411 times
A .22 rifle and tannerite should do the trick. Spend the weekend drinking beer with a comfy chair on the lawn.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:31 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
...BTW, my big dog could care less about the moles.

The small dog is obsessed with them...digs down after them, tries all day when she's outside to get at them...digs the holes even deeper, but the only result is a very dirty dog, and more holes.
The answer is c-a-t.

We had moles around our new home when we moved when I was a kid. Moles all over. As soon as we got a cat, the moles became #1 on his to-do list and they were gone in months.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:00 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I have a new suggestion. Go out and buy a trap. It worked for me. It's still in the box, unopened. As recently as the day before I bought it there was activity all over my front and side lawn, but since I brought it home there has been absolutely no sign of the moles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living