Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 10:40 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Did you look at the video???
I see cucumbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 10:42 AM

950 posts, read 923,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Nope........they are called pickles.......they are small.

The smaller the better.

Cucumbers are large.

You do need a trip to the country.

They pick the pickles........then they sort them...........the finger size pickles go in vats.

Then the stay there..........the smell is bad.

I remember one spring when the vat was emptied they found a dead migrant.

They are all cucumbers until they are processed into pickles

Even the big cucumbers that are processed into round slices can be found on the pickle shelf at supermarkets.

stick to well drilling .......

Old 04-04-2015, 10:54 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,932,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Give American small business owners the choice between joining Mexico and making 300% profits for 10 years or remaining part of the US but paying $15 an hour for labor, and I am not sure the US will stay on the maps for long. They are very patriotic, as long as it doesn't hurt business. That is why we can't seem to stop the problem with illegal immigrants.

You are entirely correct. What gets me is that employers can get by with paying only $10.00/hr in this depressed rural segment of Colorado. That STILL isn't low enough for them, since they can pay illegals even less. We need to go directly to the root of the problem which includes but is not limited to the CEO's and management of Big Ag, the managers of most resort areas who keep their grounds prettied up with cheap labor, etc., etc. Anyone who is discovered hiring illegals should have to pay a huge fine - none of this $5 bucks and a wink-wink from the system. Those who are repeat offenders for illegal hiring practices should be sent off to jail for a very long time.

If the source of jobs for illegal’s dried up, there would be no more of this walking across the desert for days - and often dying of thirst - to reach the US and none of this being conned by Coyotes and left in the middle of nowhere, etc. With no jobs as a draw, many illegals would stay home. They might even form movements calling for the end of the repressive dictatorships that keep the people living under their fist spending their lives in poverty. An impossible fantasy? I think not. Just as we North Americans stood up to the British Crown and demanded our freedom, so did the people of Latin America (except for Brasil) stand up against their mighty Spanish overlords and gain freedom from their colonial masters way back in the 1820's.

It's so easy to blame the people who come here driven by hunger and desperate for work that simply is not available in their home countries. I can't blame anyone who only wants to work in order to support themselves and their families. This flow of illegal’s across our borders is a symptom, not the problem. Congress needs to get off its collective a**, and come up with an immigration policy that actually works - like severe sanctions imposed on those who hire illegal’s.

I like the Hispanic people. They are willing to be friendly if you start out by being friendly to them; they work hard; they play all sorts of great music that brighten up our airwaves, and their food is wonderful! Sadly, the US cannot take in every refugee in the world, including our neighbors to the south. There must be immigration laws, and they must be enforced. But as usual, it is the people on the lowest rung of the ladder who must endure that punishment, while the fat cats at the top who are responsible for this situation are never held accountable for their self-serving actions.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:57 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
They are all cucumbers until they are processed into pickles

Even the big cucumbers that are processed into round slices can be found on the pickle shelf at supermarkets.

stick to well drilling .......
There are many vegetables that can be pickled...beets, onions,peppers, okra.....

At best it can be said that some varieties of cucumbers are better for pickling....but they are still....shockingly...still cucumbers. Lol!

No back to the topic...of sorts. During WWII many workers from Mexico came up to our area to harvest as manpower was in short supply during the war. Many stayed and their families are now 3rd and the start of the 4th generation American. For the op to say that Americans are only white or black only shows his personal bias and limited experience.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:01 AM

950 posts, read 923,773 times
cucumbers vs pickles

cement vs concrete

Old 04-04-2015, 11:09 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I see cucumbers.
Yet the title is pickles.

That is what farmers call them.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:13 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
cucumbers vs pickles

cement vs concrete
That is about it.

I grew up where millions of acres of pickles where grown......picked by hand no less.

The large cucumbers where thrown out..........they where to big.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv-h4q3HXkw

Old 04-04-2015, 12:59 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,055,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Maine
There are migrant workers in Maine;especially for harvesting broccoli.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:05 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,191,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
I live in California..sometimes I like to drive out into the country on an off day. I love being in nature and part of me has always wanted to be in the agricultural world. It would be something that I would like to do to be a farm worker for a summer or a season. However here in CA when I drive past the farms all I see is people from Mexico, in the towns surroundings the farms it's basically not the USA because everything is in Spanish. Like I said I would love to do some farmwork and gain some experience. My great grandparents worked in an orange packing house and as fruit pickers on a grove in what's now Irvine in the OC after they lost their business during the depression. Eventually they bought a plot in the San Gabriel Valley in LA county and after my grandpa (maternal) was born they sold it for what was a lot of money to a builder who developed it into a neighborhood which is now part of the city of Pasadena, there is even a street named after them (Langford Alley) since it was the Langford Farm.

I would like to try it, farming is part of my heritage. However I have no interest in being the only non Mexican, and being the only one of my coworkers that speaks English and is legal to work. I'm not interested in WWOOFING, I would like to get paid for my work. Something like fruit picking or even harvesting cash crops like tobacco or something in North Carolina.

Anywhere in America where farm workers are still white or black Americans?
Vermont

Old 04-04-2015, 01:57 PM

590 posts, read 714,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
There is nothing prejudice about wanting to work with people who can speak your own language and are not illegal, sheesh. Who cares what race anyone is. Do we have to bring "race" into everything nowadays?

No s***! It always never ceases to amaze me when someone brings up the race card based on something they interpreted to be racist. Has to make you wonder who the real racist is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living