Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 08:34 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
People with talent/skills/potential leave small towns to go to the big cities asap because that's where the jobs and opportunities are. In the near future(if it isn't right now) the vast majority of small towns in America will only be for the elderly and the no hopers.
ROFLMAO.

Talk about a myopic view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 09:29 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raing View Post

I haven't set foot back in LaGrange for longer than two days since I moved away in 2008. I've never looked back and never had a desire to move back to that kind of place. I haven't had contact with the people that I knew for 15+ years since then either, with the exception of my childhood best friend. If he's happy, more power to him, but I always wanted something better for myself than living on a part time minimum wage job supporting a wife and kid, trying to figure out whether to pay the power bill or the rent on the double wide trailer.
Congratulations for getting out of that kind of craziness. I live in Macon and if it weren't for my husband's family being here, I would be gone!

Old 04-09-2015, 10:01 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
30,000 people is a "small town"? I live in a town of 800 and that's too many.
You beat me to it.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:24 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
I have seen these mentality in rural areas. I call it the "backwoods" mentality. Red-neck hick, , narrow-minded, racist, bigoted, arch-conservative mentality. These people grow up poor and feel so should everyone else. These people talk about "the good lord" yet hate blacks, Hispanics, other immigrants, gays, atheists, or anybody even the slightest bit different from them yet while claiming to be "Christian." Those that vote, vote strictly based on gun rights. You can find them spending their sunday afternoons watching NASCAR while smoking cigarettes and drinking beer. They sport jean jackets and/or stone-washed jeans while listening to country music or listening to 80's hair bands on cassette tape. Hopefully I'm painting a good picture for all of you.
Imagine the uproar if someone made a generalization that sweeping about inner city blacks/Hispanics/gays/ or any other preferred political class.

It's OK though. The urban elitists write-off rural whites at their own peril. Some of the most clever, business savvy people I have met have lived in rural areas. They just tend not to flaunt it like the City people.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:22 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
30,000 people is a "small town"? I live in a town of 800 and that's too many.
You're what's called "anti-social."

Old 04-09-2015, 11:40 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
People with talent/skills/potential leave small towns to go to the big cities asap because that's where the jobs and opportunities are.
Yes, and when we retire, we are so sick and tired of the urban landscape -- the noise, crowds, pollution, crime, traffic -- that we move right back to the small towns and countryside!

Old 04-09-2015, 11:44 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Imagine the uproar if someone made a generalization that sweeping about inner city blacks/Hispanics/gays/ or any other preferred political class.

It's OK though. The urban elitists write-off rural whites at their own peril. Some of the most clever, business savvy people I have met have lived in rural areas. They just tend not to flaunt it like the City people.
I never said I was an urban elitist, I'm calling it like I see it. Sure there's wealthy people in rural areas, but there's far more of the stereotype I described.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:57 AM

98 posts, read 88,437 times
I have read your post. It doesn't matter what you do...you will always be different. God has blessed you.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:59 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Yes, and when we retire, we are so sick and tired of the urban landscape -- the noise, crowds, pollution, crime, traffic -- that we move right back to the small towns and countryside!
You also move right back into diapers!

Old 04-09-2015, 01:05 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
This is a copy of a thread from over a year ago....

The issues of growing up in a small town and wanting to leave..
I knew I had read this before!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living