U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 01:08 PM

12,627 posts, read 18,377,388 times

Advertisements

Crop Dusting how high in the air should the fertilizer/pesticides go on a windy day. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Crop Dusting Question with pictures-vm4a2987.jpg   Crop Dusting Question with pictures-vm4a2977.jpg   Crop Dusting Question with pictures-vm4a3006.jpg   Crop Dusting Question with pictures-vm4a2997.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 01:43 PM

15,273 posts, read 12,995,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Crop Dusting how high in the air should the fertilizer/pesticides go on a windy day. Thanks.
bloody awful I thought this was banned.. if not it should be..

Old 05-05-2015, 03:10 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,502,638 times
I live in NC. I see them every year about this time. I saw one last week. Flies about 6ft. or so over the crops and then just about straight up, just missing the trees and power lines.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:37 AM

6,134 posts, read 7,082,756 times
That's fun flying. We used to go to this really long runway and see how low we could fly (couple feet) without touching to practice "ground effect" (Wheels down obviously).

Those pics look like fun, until you miss seeing those power wires...

I don't think I'd do it on a windy day regardless of the poison. Crashing sucks.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,518 posts, read 41,111,965 times
point is?
Spraying is pretty restrictive, and they hold applicator license, as do many of us farmers. \
Liability for resultant 'drift' damage / contamination (especially waterways) is a risk that costs us dearly in insurance premiums and license exposure. .

not too windy to be spraying; looks less than 3-5 mph (upward drift more than lateral)
Must not be a chemical with potential 'drift' damage. (adjacent farm / corrals / homes)
Farmer is paying per Gal, so not inclined to waste time / spray
Appears to be a pasture at a dairy farm
faster than a hand held pump sprayer
surprised they would use aerial in that application, Boom seems adequate

Old 05-06-2015, 03:21 AM

4,196 posts, read 3,191,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Because ground-based application works so well in rice paddies...

Old 05-06-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Because ground-based application works so well in rice paddies...
Ill be honest I dont know a lot about these things but its spraying pesticides is it not..

Old 05-06-2015, 08:38 AM

11,257 posts, read 44,343,654 times
Quote:
Ill be honest I dont know a lot about these things but its spraying pesticides is it not..
Aerial Crop dusting applicators are certified for the chemicals they use, and follow a fairly strict set of rules re the conditions under which they may spray. Too strong a wind would be one factor, and it doesn't look like there's much ... if any ... wind in this application.

They could be spraying stuff other than pesticides, such as herbicides or fertilizers. Even at that, many chemicals are pretty specific to various applications and of very short duration.

Given the potential liability for damage to property/crops/livestock/people, the aerial applicators I know are very careful to use appropriate materials as safely as possible. It can be the most cost-effective way to apply these materials.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:47 AM

11,257 posts, read 44,343,654 times
Quote:
BS.

As a farmer, I sometimes have to deal with cycles of grasshoppers. An aerial application of a fast-acting short term duration effective pesticide at nominal cost beats the heck out of losing an entire wheat or alfalfa crop. The stuff my aerial applicator uses is organic and not harmful to livestock within an hour after application, nor long lasting to affect the food value of the crop. Because the stuff is so short term lasting, it means we've got to spray several times to be effective ... where the older (now banned) chemical formulations would take care of the 'hoppers in one spray application.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
BS.

As a farmer, I sometimes have to deal with cycles of grasshoppers. An aerial application of a fast-acting short term duration effective pesticide at nominal cost beats the heck out of losing an entire wheat or alfalfa crop. The stuff my aerial applicator uses is organic and not harmful to livestock within an hour after application, nor long lasting to affect the food value of the crop. Because the stuff is so short term lasting, it means we've got to spray several times to be effective ... where the older (now banned) chemical formulations would take care of the 'hoppers in one spray application.
thanks for that explanation sunsprit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living