Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 01:44 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,237,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
His God's Country is apparently Westchester Co., NY. You know...the new frontier.
LOL you mean he's moving to a bedroom community?

God resides in suburbia?

Who knew....

OP I'm sorry I dived in w my story of isolation and small town scrutiny. Clearly you are not going "country" as an Australian would understand it.

Just as well I didn't give you clues on dealing w snakes and other wildlife I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 01:47 PM

625 posts, read 623,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post

God resides in suburbia?

Who knew....

OP I'm sorry I dived in w my story of isolation and small town scrutiny. Clearly you are not going "country" as an Australian would understand it.

Just as well I didn't give you clues on dealing w snakes and other wildlife I suppose.
Well, if you've been in the city with wall to wall cement and cars suburbia would be a good start to the country. Small steps, small steps….

Old 05-08-2015, 01:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:

God resides in suburbia?

Who knew....

Or as non-urban/suburban U.S. dwellers would consider it, either.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
Well, if you've been in the city with wall to wall cement and cars suburbia would be a good start to the country. Small steps, small steps….
"Country" in that it has grass and potentially offers the abilty to spread out one's arms and not smack a half-dozen people by doing so at any given time.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:01 PM

I don't know OP, it seems to be some sort of a trap.

Imagine if theres another fuel shortage or price hike - your "cheap" living wont look so good then.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
"Country" in that it has grass and potentially offers the abilty to spread out one's arms and not smack a half-dozen people by doing so at any given time.
We have so much room in Australia that even city living is not dense.

Most folk have a big backyard for example.

High rise apartments are almost unheard of.

I didn't appreciate the green and clean until I went to Asia. Coming home was almost a culture shock, all those lawns and empty roads, and I live in one of Australia's Capital Cities. We don't even have traffic jams here.

Now THATS Gods Country.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
We have so much room in Australia that even city living is not dense.
I'm sure you're familiar with NYC, however, where the poster is from and will be commuting back and forth from. It's dense.

I live in an urban area, currently..one with loads of greenspace, yards, few lofts and highrise dwellings compared to other cities its size. It's very spread out and has huge swaths of undeveloped green land and forested area within city limits. It's not dense at all. Traffic is completely nonexistent, you can park anywhere (and that's even without widespread public transit, everyone drives). It's not crowded at all. In the U.S., mileage varies greatly, in terms of urban density.

I personally prefer a less dense city, but some urbanites loathe it, and find this city too sprawly and, in their minds, underdeveloped. Until I lived here, I didn't even know it was possible to live in the inner urban core of a city and have a single family house with a big yard. It's not only possible here, it's completely normal. Not so in other U.S. cities in which I've lived.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:21 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The OP says, "I got a bigger/nicer condo with pool and tennis)."

That's nice, but he has not found the country yet. He also needs a new girlfriend who is actually FROM the country to help him survive.
When will he use that pool and tennis? He's going to be living in his car! If there's an accident, snow, rain, a deer fart from 30 miles away, traffic will be hell. That 90 minutes isn't going to be 90 minutes in rush hour or bad weather. Sounds like a party for an insane asylum.

Quote:
His God's Country is apparently Westchester Co., NY. You know...the new frontier.
I've heard Westchester Co. called a number of things. And frontier was not one of them until today! Let me know when people start dressing like Little House on the Prairie....horse and carriage comes back into fashion outside of Central Park.....and Pa plays his fiddle!

Old 05-08-2015, 02:31 PM

30,484 posts, read 16,194,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
When will he use that pool and tennis? He's going to be living in his car! If there's an accident, snow, rain, a deer fart from 30 miles away, traffic will be hell. That 90 minutes isn't going to be 90 minutes in rush hour or bad weather. Sounds like a party for an insane asylum.

I've heard Westchester Co. called a number of things. And frontier was not one of them until today! Let me know when people start dressing like Little House on the Prairie....horse and carriage comes back into fashion outside of Central Park.....and Pa plays his fiddle!
I agree about the 3 hr drive. Yikes!

I think TR meant that tongue-in-cheek when she referred to Westchester as a frontier. And I don't know anyone who dresses like Little House on the Prairie; horse and carriages are not uncommon in areas where Amish live, and fiddles are played a lot at blue grass festivals.

Now that's God's country!

Old 05-08-2015, 02:35 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,609,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I agree about the 3 hr drive. Yikes!

I think TR meant that tongue-in-cheek when she referred to Westchester as a frontier. And I don't know anyone who dresses like Little House on the Prairie; horse and carriages are not uncommon in areas where Amish live, and fiddles are played a lot at blue grass festivals.

Now that's God's country!
Oooooh Amish in Westchester Co would be perfect! New tourism draw! Ha.

I know she was joking about Westchester Co. I was also joking. I am from NYS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living