U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 02:38 PM

1,697 posts, read 5,976,784 times

Advertisements

bringing cash, culture -- and controversy.

Interesting article in today's Wall State Journal:

The word "gentrification" conjures up images of once-poor urban neighborhoods invaded by cappuccino bars and million-dollar condos. Now, broad swaths of rural America -- from New England to the Rocky Mountain West -- are being gussied up, too.

Affluent retirees and other high-income types have descended on these remote areas, creating new demand for amenities like interior-design stores, spas and organic markets. For many communities, it's the biggest change since the interstate highway system came barreling through in the 1960s and 1970s.

The New American Gentry - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 03:07 PM

5,057 posts, read 8,039,775 times
But their not bringing industry and good paying jobs. I've often said that the only people who can afford to continue to live in my small, sweet, Carolina town, (where all the industry and plants have closed) is the retired, the wealthy, and those on welfare. The rest of us have to go out and earn a paycheck each month.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:36 PM

17,098 posts, read 22,629,505 times
Old news in Vermont. They move in and make it impossible for everyone else to live here. They buy up proeprty at insane prices and drive up the taxes, blight our landscape with ugly yellow posted signs, mcmansions with 5 acre lawns on our hills...then start demanding everyone stop shooting, hunting, fix up their houses if not to their standards, and on and on...

Old 12-29-2010, 06:13 PM

6,023 posts, read 12,083,585 times
Default Lost Hope.

It is happening in the western part of our state too, (Montana). Although the east side towns still seem to be shrinking.
No working class folks are able to buy any decent property here anymore. Outside money is shredding all the younger local folk's future dreams into pieces of lost hope.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:15 PM

37,158 posts, read 43,132,019 times
It happened even in my childhood, but nobody ever stayed long. The ability to have a pen of horses that never got ridden didn't outweigh the distance from Starbucks and Crate & Barrel, or the putting up with unplowed roads and lack of garbage pickup.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:16 PM

10,238 posts, read 18,996,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
But their not bringing industry and good paying jobs. I've often said that the only people who can afford to continue to live in my small, sweet, Carolina town, (where all the industry and plants have closed) is the retired, the wealthy, and those on welfare.

You mean the industries that used to be in Michigan and moved to Carolina for cheap labor and have now moved to China for even cheaper labor? Those ones?

Old 12-30-2010, 03:41 AM

14,478 posts, read 14,372,123 times
This gentrification of the countyside has been happening in the UK for decades.

Another issue is that some, and in a few places many, of the houses are second homes.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:44 AM

686 posts, read 972,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You mean the industries that used to be in Michigan and moved to Carolina for cheap labor and have now moved to China for even cheaper labor? Those ones?
LOL. That is funny.

I love small towns. It's sad when they lose their character.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:18 PM

44 posts, read 96,136 times
Poor fokls have the same rights as rich ones,the rich just have a hundred times more .

Old 04-25-2011, 06:11 AM

10,693 posts, read 9,238,450 times
It's getting bad down here on the coast in South Carolina. All the good agricultural land is either being developed into "planned" developments or into these multi-million dollar estates. Our small fishing villages are now surburbia and the place for transplants to come down here and live the "southern" life. Not even remotely the same as it used to be. I miss that small town life - back to the country for me...well while it's still country I guess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living