Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 07:18 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,869,394 times

Advertisements

I know that we all need to save money. But it upsets me to see people in my area driving 150-250 miles to get the huge car dealerships in central Maine, just to save $500 or $1000 dollars. Those dollars are badly needed in our area, and support local people. But that just doesn't seem to matter so some people (and I will cut people who are really struggling to save money some slack).
What burns me the most is seeing municipal/school employees doing it, when they are buying $20,000-40,000 vehicles. They literally bite the hands that feed them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 07:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,227 posts, read 80,442,347 times
It's the opposite here, the rural dealerships offer much lower prices, with much lower overhead, so people in the cities drive out there to buy. I'm in the Seattle metro area in a small city of 50k (with no car dealers) but bought the last two in a rural town of 9,400 an hour away despite several closer ones. Like the people you are objecting to, it makes sense to drive a bit to save thousands on the same car.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:24 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,485,239 times
Maybe you need a major analysis of your pricing. Rural dealerships are selling new vehicles for way under big city dealerships.

Do you purchase EVERYTHING for your family & business locally. No one in your family ever buys from Amazon?
I have heard small town business owners complain similarly, yet hire out of town contractors to build their buildings/homes, family members wear out of town purchased wardrobes, etc. If you are spending all your family/business $ in town and the fellow business owners aren't your customers, then you have something seriously wrong.

People will shop locally if they feel they are getting superior service and good value. They want to be treated like they are special, otherwise they will just shop price.

I shop at one local (45 miles away) hardware store over a closer one -- because the item might be more costly but it will be quality. & they give me lots of good advice if I need it. Plus they are happy to see me & appreciate my business. If I need a "what's it" & they are closing in five minutes they will always happily leave it at the back door for me. That is service & that gets my forever customer loyalty.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:39 PM

Interesting that your situation is the opposite, Hemlock. The bigger dealers in the more populated parts of Maine can sell more by volume, I guess. So they are generally $500 or so cheaper on a new car (sometimes more). I am not rich, but I ALWAYS buy cars locally, even if it costs a bit more.
And Historyfan, you make some valid points. But it bothers me to see rural people who seem to have NO awareness that their area's economy depends to some extent on people "shopping local", when possible. I think they believe that money just grows on trees. (And like I said, what galls me the most is people whose salaries are directly tied to town tax revenue, which is in turn dependent on a decent economy).

Old 09-07-2015, 02:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,639 posts, read 57,661,644 times
I have driven a lot farther to save a LOT less.

Break even... for most folks (not me)
250 miles = 5 gal of fuel ($15)
250 miles = 4 hrs @ minimum wage

my problem... I can't find a new car that will get 50 mpg on used cooking oil... so I guess I will keep driving my 39 yr old car.

I have flown from WA State to Nova Scotia to get a used car. (probably didn't save a dime, but these are tough to find... < 700 were imported to USA and CND)

In my free time I do finance for local small businesses.
You will not win all (or maybe ANY) new customers with a $500 delta, and a chip in the shoulder.

Municipal and educators will be LEAST likely to pay more for ANYTHING.
They have NO knowledge / understanding of 'commerce'. They are on the gravy train. They watch their direct deposits like a hawk, as they will their pension checks. They have never missed a meal to meet payroll, they have NO competition, they wouldn't know what it is like to NOT have the silver platter delivered to them (or to be customer centric). They aren't in the least concerned that YOUR taxes / revenue fund their inabilities... They will RAISE your levy or fine you if they need more income. They make the rules, so hang onto your wallet.. They will be happy to have you provide warranty and free services. You are there for THEIR benefit, correct? Your qtrly payments / assessments are just fluff? correct? Not ez to fight, or pay city hall.

My commercial tenants are 10 minutes from a Sales Tax free state. We have 9% sales tax. Who is gonna buy from local stores? (very few customers will buy, but they sure enjoy the 'convenience' of a local business if they need something urgently or on a weekend)

Old 09-07-2015, 10:15 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,485,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Interesting that your situation is the opposite, Hemlock. The bigger dealers in the more populated parts of Maine can sell more by volume, I guess. So they are generally $500 or so cheaper on a new car (sometimes more). I am not rich, but I ALWAYS buy cars locally, even if it costs a bit more.
And Historyfan, you make some valid points. But it bothers me to see rural people who seem to have NO awareness that their area's economy depends to some extent on people "shopping local", when possible. I think they believe that money just grows on trees. (And like I said, what galls me the most is people whose salaries are directly tied to town tax revenue, which is in turn dependent on a decent economy).
We bring money into our local economies.

Our ranch income is plowed back into the ranch for debt reduction, infrastructure improvements & feed, labor, property taxes, insurance etc. All materials & services are purchased locally. Regarding our vehicles-- there is a Ford & Lincoln dealership one county over 120 miles away we use for the Ford pickups & Lincoln cars. The Dodge pickups go to the dealership 250 miles away (the one 150 has inferior service). Montana is rural, so driving a few hours is common place.

Meanwhile our family income is derived from providing professional services outside our rural area to clients hundreds of miles away (travel & telecommuting). We make the bulk of purchases in communities where we make the money (in addition to the hotel, restaurants, gas stations, & office supply stores we spend for on site).

Any money spent locally (within 100 miles) is money we add to the local economy--including the ranch county property taxes which go toward running the county, local public school, & local fire department.

As noted, public school teachers & employees are the LAST people who will feel obligated to spend locally for anything.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:08 PM

historyfan, that's interesting. In my area, we have several large dealerships within an easy half hour drive. But many people insist on driving two or three hours away. I always hope that their cars break down a lot and they have to pay through the nose to get them serviced locally (from the dealers they chose to bypass).

Old 09-07-2015, 08:20 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,898,413 times
Quote:
historyfan, that's interesting. In my area, we have several large dealerships within an easy half hour drive. But many people insist on driving two or three hours away. I always hope that their cars break down a lot and they have to pay through the nose to get them serviced locally (from the dealers they chose to bypass).
I don't suppose anyone at your dealership has taken the time to quietly (or not) find out what your entire dealership's reputation is?

I learned years ago NOT to do any sort of business with the dealership whose Service Department isn't worth a pinch of salt beyond oil changes and lies to sell parts the car owner doesn't need.

There is no way this side of Hades and back I would buy a new or used car from a dealership where I couldn't trust the Service Dept.

Old 09-08-2015, 03:05 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,985,725 times
Quote:
I know that we all need to save money. But it upsets me to see people in my area driving 150-250 miles to get the huge car dealerships in central Maine, just to save $500 or $1000 dollars. Those dollars are badly needed in our area, and support local people.
Maybe you are rich enough that you don't need to save a $1000, but I would gladly drive 150-250 miles to save $1000. Hell, I drive that far just to shop at Target. So $20 of gas to save $1000 would be a bargain.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:41 AM

I'm not rich at all.
If everyone did what you do in your area, it would soon be an economic basket case. Unless you live in a rich area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living