U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 06:55 PM

133 posts, read 133,494 times

Advertisements

I'm sure people relocate to different parts of the U.S. in rural or small towns all the time. I was just wondering if anyone have thought about or currently live in a town where there aren't anyone else of their race around? If so, any advice to others of how to blend in and relate to others so you don't feel weird. I think by nature we all look for others to relate to but not all the time can we find that, so what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 09:26 PM

5,667 posts, read 3,284,365 times
I wouldn't have moved to that town to begin with.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I wouldn't have moved to that town to begin with.
So, if your race was established in the county at 5% of 24,000 but not in the city- would this bother you?

Old 09-22-2015, 08:14 AM

1,344 posts, read 2,575,195 times
The small town I live in is about 99% white.

The minorities that have moved to the area have been accepted without issue (AFAIK). They've done so by becoming involved in the community and showing that they're no different than anyone else. The kids are involved in school activities. The parents work hard, come to the high school sporting events and support the home team, have taken volunteering positions (coaches, leaders in clubs like Boy Scouts...).

Regardless of race, if you come in with an attitude or want to change the community to have it fit YOUR needs (city slickers are notorious for that), you may be shunned.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:17 PM

204 posts, read 273,820 times
Good question, i had always thought about this. Not that i will be moving to a very small town with less diversity, but always had this question in back of my mind.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,858 posts, read 56,242,556 times
When we moved in, our small town was close to 100% white. Over the last 20 years that has changed significantly, now down to 75% white. The difference is a shift to 19% Asian, while the other minorities have remained at 1-3%. It's also grown to almost 50,000 but is still considered a small town, with no significant business, just two strip malls.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:47 PM

195 posts, read 203,978 times
Many teachers who move to the Alaskan bush find themselves in this situation. In many villages, the teachers are the only non-natives. It's sort of hit or miss on how things go up there because the cultural respect and village politics play a big part in how the teachers are received. Many people, including myself, have had positive experiences with it though. My current location is about 99% white, however it is such a tiny community that no good would come from being discriminatory. Everyone tries to be friendly and kind to one another because it is how we survive in such an isolated place.

Not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for, OP. Hope it helps a bit though!

Old 09-24-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
The small town I live in is about 99% white.

The minorities that have moved to the area have been accepted without issue (AFAIK). They've done so by becoming involved in the community and showing that they're no different than anyone else. The kids are involved in school activities. The parents work hard, come to the high school sporting events and support the home team, have taken volunteering positions (coaches, leaders in clubs like Boy Scouts...).

Regardless of race, if you come in with an attitude or want to change the community to have it fit YOUR needs (city slickers are notorious for that), you may be shunned.
Thanks for your advice here. I asked the question because I currently am trying to decide on buying rural land in a small town. I currently live in Houston, TX. I am not the city type and find it to be to congested to me. It's the common battle between needing Medical near by but not the crime and noise. I live in a neighborhood that has so many nationalities in it that no one can relate. It's not that they don't want to either. But, more because of the different languages spoken. Such as Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese, African dialect, Indonesian, Hispanic, Russian and of course Americans on one street. I can't find a neighbor that speaks English nor understands what the other is saying. It's stressing everyone out. I mean how can I learn all of their languages at once to communicate basics. My children don't play outside because no one understands the other. So, how could I get involved in this kind of community. The few households that do speak English are 2% and 98% other languages. I am African American and it's hard to find a place to relocate to that is low in crime and a great place to live. I thought of Michigan U. P. but there aren't many African American's in the towns that I have found land. So, I'm not sure how or what to do here.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:18 AM

195 posts, read 203,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfur View Post
I thought of Michigan U. P. but there aren't many African American's in the towns that I have found land. So, I'm not sure how or what to do here.
I'd suggest looking at places in/around Marquette. The university (NMU) keeps the town slightly more diversified. It might not be quite as small as you are looking for, but the isolation makes it more "small-town" than many other, smaller towns near urban centers. Plus, it's an absolutely beautiful area with a lot to offer!

Old 09-25-2015, 07:13 AM

1,344 posts, read 2,575,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalfur View Post
I am African American and it's hard to find a place to relocate to that is low in crime and a great place to live. I thought of Michigan U. P. but there aren't many African American's in the towns that I have found land. So, I'm not sure how or what to do here.
There's several areas with African American rural areas near a city with good health care.

Some that come to mind are areas around:
Atlanta GA
Birmingham AL
Charlotte NC

You mentioned rural area and small town. There are several rural areas that are economically depressed. Not sure what you do for a living but it may be hard to find a decent job in a rural area. Living in a rural area or small town wouldn't be bad so long as you're in an area where you can get to a decent job in an urban or suburban environment. There's several cities (like the ones I've listed above) where you have the needs offered from the city (e.g. Healthcare) but traveling about 30 minutes can get you into a relatively rural area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or