Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 11:44 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,477,508 times

Advertisements

Certain people in small towns & rural areas can not grasp fact that someone legitimately makes plenty of money working rather they assert that "he is a drug dealer". That is a refrain I've heard over and over when I know darn well the guy has a high paying long hours out of town job.

Even if you say not true "he's a x for y company" they still persist he couldn't make that much money. It seems to give them an excuse for their own lackluster economic performance.

It frosts me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 09:35 PM

258 posts, read 288,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpme View Post
LOL! Just change the names and that is the story I'm living. Yes, half the town is delighted to see me and says life is boring when I'm not around, it is the simpler half of town that dreams up the crazy rumors.

"A mysterious, darkly beautiful woman named Cassandra Nightingale moves into an old, abandoned house which is reputed to be haunted by its original owner, "The Grey Lady". The small community is divided in their opinion of her: Some want her to stay (especially widowed police chief Jake Russell and his two children), while others want her to leave."
Kind of sounds like my situation as well...

Old 11-08-2015, 04:39 PM

3,634 posts, read 3,754,463 times
Meh...

I've lived 60 miles from town, in towns of 250, and (unfortunately) in cities of a few million. People gossip.

The worst I ever dealt with was a woman (proudly diagnosed with "histrionic personality disorder") who wanted to be sure you DID know about any gossip that involved her. Oi! It took a bit to convince her that I wasn't interested. Then I had to remind her once in a while.

Did have a woman accuse me of not taking good care of a foster son. She, unfortunately, met him on Halloween when he was supposed to be a "scary scarecrow" but by the time he got to her house, he just looked neglected in crummy clothes. lol She gave him sweats, a jacket, new hat and mittens. All things she had picked up for great-grandchildren. He thought trick or treating in small town America was awesome. I only had to deal with some curious questions and looks for a couple weeks.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:44 PM

All of these sound good... do any of you have any stories where someone ends up committing suicide or is falsely accused of say, rape or child molestation?

Old 11-15-2015, 10:02 PM

32,783 posts, read 36,033,769 times
Fortunately, no.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:06 PM

32,783 posts, read 36,033,769 times
My brother is a world class gossip. He had something to say about nearly everybody. I refuse to listen to it anymore.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:34 AM

206 posts, read 237,006 times
Using mental care in small community is big mistake...Gave some of the local kids a really hard time when some of the adults approach green kid with 'stigma' about mental care or whatever went wrong (due to some kind of abuser locally).

Mental care is never used as way to rattle a trouble maker anyway, just screw up victims more & use the care in town and will cause more verbal abuse for the poor kid.

Don't even fill RX in small town sometimes if you don't want everyone checking it out.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS101 View Post
Using mental care in small community is big mistake...Gave some of the local kids a really hard time when some of the adults approach green kid with 'stigma' about mental care or whatever went wrong (due to some kind of abuser locally).

Mental care is never used as way to rattle a trouble maker anyway, just screw up victims more & use the care in town and will cause more verbal abuse for the poor kid.

Don't even fill RX in small town sometimes if you don't want everyone checking it out.
I understand some of what you said... but what were you specifically referring to?

Old 11-27-2015, 01:30 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,919,263 times
/\ Yeah I was wondering too?

Well the latest rumor about me is that I'm a lesbian, not that I've done anything to qualify, I've just rebuffed all the guys hitting on me, so by default I must be.......... The reality is they all have drinking problems, and I'm no longer impressed by pick-up lines like "you want to _uck?"

Old 11-28-2015, 08:23 PM

862 posts, read 1,188,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2000 View Post
All of these sound good... do any of you have any stories where someone ends up committing suicide or is falsely accused of say, rape or child molestation?

Being falsely accused of child molestation unfortunately in my hometown back in the 70s anyway it really didn't take very much. Two guys moving into a house together in the neighborhood and then somebody starts of rumor that the two guys are not only gay but they are also into little boys. Back in those days my uncle was on our local police force and I can remember him telling us the calls they would get like "..Two middle aged men are living next door to me and I have an 11 year old son...arrest them !!". Like that is enough to arrest them. Kinda like say a young single woman in her 20s would rent an apartment for herself in the neighborhood and whenever one's husband is late from coming from work the wives would assume right off the bat that the woman is having an affair with their husbands...arrest her !!! Yes my uncle would receive calls about this sort of thing too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living