Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 03:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times

Advertisements

About 15 years ago my in-laws moved from San Francisco to a tiny (pop 350) town in northern NH. The took over my wife's family farm. within a year they were completely integrated into that town. BIL is in the volunteer fire department and SIL involved with town administration (yes, even towns with less then 500 people need administrating).

They are very friendly people and are an important part of the local society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 05:59 PM

27,337 posts, read 27,390,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
This is something that has been largely ignored by most of the people who have moved to Lebanon Ohio in the last 15-20 years. I don't see you having a problem, your past experience in Maine will come in handy here depending on what side of the Volvo line you were on (Washington County represent here)

I could come up with a long list of annoying things transplants do, complaining about what the town doesn't have, destroying scenic spots to make way for their homesites, driving like idiots, littering, not supporting the town by doing all your shopping out of town, I see it every day.

For the record I am returning to Eastport Maine when I retire.

Agree, all the way. Im not living here the rest of my life either.
Im a firm believer in supporting the ma and pa businesses, those multi billion dollar businesses already have enough. I like this thread....but wont get started on my thoughts, for the most part, everyone else already pretty much summed it up. My town had round 3000 people. I'll take that any day!

Old 03-30-2016, 11:06 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpuff View Post
I just moved to a small town of around 1300 people. there isn't even a traffic light in town. I don't really miss the entertainment outlets of the city. there's plenty to do out here to keep entertained...yesterday we explored a pond up a forest service road, just a few miles down from our place. today I went for a long walk in the woods and picked cottonwood buds to make into a salve. tomorrow if the weather isn't wet, i'll work on building a raised bed and some yard work, or maybe go down to the river and read a book. we do have internet and tv as well.

its true what they say, to watch who you talk **** about in a small town. I've found that everyone knows everyone else or is related in some way....and everyone has dirt on someone else. it's a no-no to talk **** about anyone, but I have noticed that all the locals talk **** about others in town behind their backs lol ....go figure
Small towns I know have empty streets, no public gathering places, no public gatherings, everybody is limited to his own (sometimes one man) circle, people have no idea who lives next door after 10 years living there, what gossips, how, it is freaking human desert.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:27 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
No problem. We will either buy an existing home or. if we build one, it will be about a 1700-1800 sq. ft. single story (and we are big fans of traditional New England-style architecture).
Perfect. That will work. If someone really wants a McMansion in North Carolina, complete with fake rock accents and all the granite they can stand, they need to buy into one of the many sprouting "planned" communities surrounding Charlotte and Raleigh with silly bogus names like "The Pines at Rippling Woods", or "The Victorians at Mountain Crest", you know what I mean. Suburban Disney-like utopia. Complete with all the yuppie amenities and trendy chain stores and restaurants within a mile of "home".

It you come to our area and purchase acreage that used to be farmland and near a small town rich with small town values and heritage, and you really want the simple and rural life, at least have a little taste in the home you custom build to go with it.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:49 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Our town has a gunsmith shop, a bunch of local men meet for coffee twice a week. That is our primary social circle here.

I built a large 'barndominium' style house, I do not think anyone is insulted by it. You can not see it from the road anyway.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:18 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,993,683 times
Some young people say the thing they hate about the new town they moved to is......." I don't want my life to be the talk of the town"

My response always is............you have 2 choices

#1........ move
#2........don't lead a lifestyle worthy of being the talk of the town.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:46 AM

60 posts, read 62,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Some young people say the thing they hate about the new town they moved to is......." I don't want my life to be the talk of the town"

My response always is............you have 2 choices

#1........ move
#2........don't lead a lifestyle worthy of being the talk of the town.
Me and my Wife (who are heavily tattooed) and my 5 yr old son moved to a tiny town in Montana of 109 people, we bought a 300 acre Ranch/farm and it didn't bother me in the slightest if people "talked about me"

I don't know if they did or not, but i could of cared less. I volunteered at the fire dept, met my neighbors (most are to old for me to really hang out with but i try here and there)

I have zero problems with anyone, i think its all how you treat people.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:06 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,993,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobinvans View Post
Me and my Wife (who are heavily tattooed) and my 5 yr old son moved to a tiny town in Montana of 109 people, we bought a 300 acre Ranch/farm and it didn't bother me in the slightest if people "talked about me"

I don't know if they did or not, but i could of cared less. I volunteered at the fire dept, met my neighbors (most are to old for me to really hang out with but i try here and there)

I have zero problems with anyone, i think its all how you treat people.

Depends on circumstances.

The young female ( mid 20's ) who made that complaint was living with a guy who just left his wife and 4 little kids for her.

Not smart for the 2 to get an apartment in the same small town ( 800 pop ) where his wife and in laws live.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:16 AM

51 posts, read 40,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
My husband and I plan on retiring from the Denver metro area to a small town (about 5,000 population) in New England. We are almost lifelong suburbanites of major cities (we did spend three years living in a rural part of Maine five miles from the nearest small town about ten years ago), and we don't want to do anything that will offend or "put off" our new neighbors.

The only thing I have read over and over again -- and which we completely agree with! -- is to not arrive and then seek to change anything about how things are done. (In other words, that if we are not willing to take the town and its people for how it/they are, that we shouldn't move there to begin with.)

Any other advice?

P.S. We would also appreciate any tips on the best way to "scope out" a neighborhood and community without "trodding on any toes".
Don't talk about money. People in small towns are often more grounded. Learn who to trust, and offer to help out anytime you can. Smaller town people are known for leaning on each other much more than most. IF you see someone fixing their car and you understand they are pretty good at it, tell them you have tools he can borrow if he needs to. Try to save them money.

Attend any local church in your town (google cult, and the religion first. if it comes up at all as being a cult, don't attend)

Never talk about looks/money

Bring your new neighbors some baked goods when you move in

Don't drive a fancy car. Make sure it is cheaper than the other peoples cars

Don't move into a fancier house

Don't talk about what isn't offered at the grocery stores, it's a small town. They may not have stuffing at the deli

Don't talk about getting your hair done

MOST IMPORTANTLY, DON'T BURN. DON'T CUT DOWN THE TREES
ACCEPT HOW GOD MADE THE LANDSCAPE
DON'T BURN THE NATURAL ENVIORNMENT THEN BRING IN GREENERY NOT NATURAL TO THAT AREA.
TAKE NATURE LIKE PINE NEEDLES AND DUMP THEM OFF SOMEWHERE ELSE, DON'T BURN WHAT GOD PROVIDED YOU
Don't landscape, plant flowers, etc...it's nature. Let it be. It's beautiful
Don't use poisons to control weeds. Pull them up instead

Share any springs you find yet keep it a secret also. People don't want every tom, dick and harry getting water from the spring for fear it may run out

Keep your dog on a leash until you get to know the other dogs. Let those established townsfolk let their dogs run loose while yours is controlled. At least for a while

if there is a "tab" at the local store, don't start one. Even if they insist. Pay for your items for at least a year or two like a normal customer until they get to know you well enough to know you will pay your monthly bill. Try to pay with cash anytime you can. Credit cards cost money. use cash as much as possible if you hire locals for work being done

If someone tells you they are gonna kick your ass, don't call the cops automatically. Some folks are mentally ill and it is tolerated more in smaller towns. Ask around about that person. Someone may be overseeing that person and need to know what occured

Don't believe so and so is dangerous. Lots of lies are told in small towns. They may have a criminal background but that doesn;t mean they are dangerous to you.

try to hire the locals for any work needed. Be patient, it may take longer than normal. They are more relaxed in small towns. There may be many jack of all trades. If you are picky, then hire an outsider if you need the work done just right (depending upon what you need completed)

Be non-judgemental

Last edited by Wes Schultz; 06-25-2017 at 11:46 AM..

Old 06-25-2017, 11:22 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
Personally, I would be spending all of my free time either on the Internet or playing AR games (e.g. Pokemon Go.) Thanks to the Internet (and Amazon Prime) and being connected to the rest of the world 24/7, living in small town is far more bearable now than 20 years ago. I would still attend a social event or two every now and then and if the locals are friendly and receptive to making new friends, I'd get more involved locally but it wouldn't be the end of the world if they're not accepting of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living