Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 07:09 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,607,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Shouts View Post
I think people from a small town can definitely understand where you're coming from. You get tired of everyone knowing your business, telling you their business, or seeing that person you don't wanna see.

I lived in a small town an hour's drive from Oklahoma City. I like sushi. After buying some sushi in OKC, I went back to town and decided to eat it there. I was sitting downtown eating it on a chair, watching the traffic go by. But some locals walked up to me, asked me what I was eating, and when I said sushi, they crinkled their nose, stuck out their tongue, and said how they thought it was disgusting. I didn't do anything to encourage them to stick around and they left quick.

But their behavior was really off-putting. I just want to enjoy the sun and eat and you wanna walk up and ask me what I'm eating? First off, it's annoying to have people come up to you and ask you what your eating, even friends and family. Secondly, why do you need to know what I'm eating? Third, it is very rude to express disgust at the food someone is eating, especially when you stick out your tongue. That right there totally ruined my peaceful eating experience. I never bothered to eat or drink in public again for the remaining few months I lived there.

If that wasn't bad enough, it became local gossip and even people who never saw me eating thought it was fun to call me "Sushi Guy", as if they thought I'd find it a term of endearment.

Small town nosiness can be extremely off-putting. Especially when you're doing something harmless and you know they're gossiping up a storm about it.
Wow, people there must really have lacked entertainment to do all of that over someone eating sushi!
I wonder if this was recently or years ago before sushi got to be relatively "mainstream" in smaller communities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 07:11 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Wow, people there must really have lacked entertainment to do all of that over someone eating sushi!
I wonder if this was recently or years ago before sushi got to be relatively "mainstream" in smaller communities?
Is sushi available in your town?

Not in mine.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:02 AM

104 posts, read 93,129 times
This happened around 5 years ago.

As Submariner pointed out, sushi is not available in many small communities. And even if it is available, that doesn't mean it's widely accepted.

In any case, it wasn't just the sushi. It was the nosiness. This was just one of many off-putting incidents that soured me on the town. Another incident: I drink a lot of foreign wine. When I was down with my liquor, I'd put it in a recycling bin, and with other neighbors, I'd have to put the bin by the side of the road for the recycle guy to pick up. We all put our stuff in a row to make it easy for him. One time, I had drank Czech wine, and I put it in the bin in a way I'm 100% positive no one could see unless they rummaged through the bin. A week or two later, a neighbor asked me some wine suggestions for an intimate reunion with friends. I gave him some. Then he thanked me, telling me since I drank a large variety of wine, even Czech wine, he knew I'd be a good source. My eyes popped open and my jaw dropped to the ground at his back as he walked away. How could he know I drank Czech wine? I only drank it that one time and, like I said, it had been hidden beneath a whole bunch of rummage.

That type of nosiness is utterly disgusting. I don't like my privacy invaded like that. These people felt like peeping toms. My last few months there I felt insecure around those folks, as if they were peering into my window when I couldn't see them. I have many other nosy incidents. So I understand exactly what the OP means by wanting to be anonymous. Where I am now, I nobody is interested in what I eat, what I drink, or what I like/dislike unless I tell them. I am anonymous unless I choose otherwise. I like it.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:20 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
AFAIK, there is nowhere to get sushi (even grocery store sushi) anywhere in the vicinity of my parents' community, which is just under 10k.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:52 AM

In our nearest big city there is an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet, that recently setup a sushi bar in the back. I have looked it over a couple times. None of the things are labeled. I have never seen anyone selecting items from that bar. If I were to go down that line, picking up one of each item, I would not have any clue of what I was doing.

I do not mean to be so anti-sushi. I did 20 years in the US Navy, though I have never been to the Orient. My exposure to it has been very limited.

Let me tell you a story. A couple years ago, my in-laws flew us to Waikiki for Christmas and New Years. They insisted on only using metro-busses or walking everywhere, so we did a lot of walking and sight-seeing during that trip. My in-laws live in DC where they are exposed to a wide variety of ethnic foods. While we were in Waikiki, they found a Vietnamese restaurant and raved about how wonderful Pho soup is. One evening we went to have Pho soup. They ordered for us all, my soup was $15. It was a fairly spicy broth. I think I could match it at home with chicken broth and tabasco poured through a strainer. They all raved about how wonderful the meals were. When we walked out of there, I felt like I was starving. I had drank a bowl of flavored water that cost me $15. I excused myself from the group the next burger joint we walked by, and I had a burger and fries. I seriously needed to get some solid food in me. I was shocked at how much you can spend for a bowl of broth. At this point, if I ever visit a city again, I would be hesitant to order Pho soup again.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:21 AM

104 posts, read 93,129 times
Submariner, you totally got ripped off on the pho soup.

First off, Hawaii is expensive. Secondly, the quality of many things you get on the mainland is much lower. I've been to Hawaii briefly myself and those are things me and other mainland people recognize: Hawaii is more expensive with lower quality.

Pho soup is supposed to look like this in this Google image link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=pho+...w=1280&bih=629

If you just had broth, you got ripped off major. Pho soup features noodles, meat, and veggies. The one I go to sells pho soup in a big bowl. When I say big bowl, I mean big. Not some small bowl. The pho at the Vietnamese restaurant I eat sells pho in a bowl big enough to fit two grapefruit into without having to squeeze them together. And it's only $8. I order out so I can eat half one day and save the other half for later. I am always full after eating just one half.

It's a shame but not surprising to see you got ripped off in Hawaii. It's just sad it had to sour you on good food. Maybe next time you visit your in-laws in DC, try some pho at the local Vietnamese joints in their city. You'll probably end up loving it as much as they do.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Shouts View Post
Submariner, you totally got ripped off on the pho soup.

First off, Hawaii is expensive. Secondly, the quality of many things you get on the mainland is much lower. I've been to Hawaii briefly myself and those are things me and other mainland people recognize: Hawaii is more expensive with lower quality.

Pho soup is supposed to look like this in this Google image link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=pho+...w=1280&bih=629
Those soups look much better.

It was served in a large bowl, but there were no noodles, meat, or veggies in it.

Quote:
... It's a shame but not surprising to see you got ripped off in Hawaii. It's just sad it had to sour you on good food. Maybe next time you visit your in-laws in DC, try some pho at the local Vietnamese joints in their city. You'll probably end up loving it as much as they do.
We will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living