U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 01:10 PM

9,434 posts, read 6,020,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
The land is fairly flat and not bumpy and pretty much cleared. We won't have a pristine lawn, basically whatever grows.

We get plenty of snow - somewhere around 150" a year. Driveway is not too long, about 125 ft.

Not sure if a loader would plow very well? Something like this? 2013 Kubota BX1870 Tractors | Heartland Kubota, LLC SHERIDAN, WY
Even with a small tractor with a 4' mower - I'd use a brush hog for something more like a pasture than a lawn - you can do 1.5 acres in 90 minutes or less.

You can clear snow with the loader, but a straight blade on the back works much better and only costs $350 CountyLine® Grader Blade, 6 ft. W - Tractor Supply Co.. I've used both the loader and blade on my 21 hp B7510 Kubota to clear almost 1/4 mile of gravel driveway, the blade is better - a blower would be best but we don't get anywhere near enough snow to justify it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 12:09 PM

23,741 posts, read 30,507,223 times
I see a lot of people buying tractors that are way too small. I suspect they are shopping by price and the little toys that aren't big enough to do any work are relatively cheap.

A real tractor that will do real work is an expensive item, even when bought used. But the toy tractor is just a waste of money because it can't get the work done.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:34 AM

5,439 posts, read 15,015,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Even with a small tractor with a 4' mower - I'd use a brush hog for something more like a pasture than a lawn - you can do 1.5 acres in 90 minutes or less.

You can clear snow with the loader, but a straight blade on the back works much better and only costs $350 CountyLine® Grader Blade, 6 ft. W - Tractor Supply Co.. I've used both the loader and blade on my 21 hp B7510 Kubota to clear almost 1/4 mile of gravel driveway, the blade is better - a blower would be best but we don't get anywhere near enough snow to justify it.
thanks. I guess it would be somewhere in between lawn and pasture. Maybe lawn that we don't cut that short or very often, I'm not quite sure yet. It's nothing we water or treat or anything for sure.

These plows look a little puny. I wonder if I'd be better off with a small truck with a plow and a cheaper lawn tractor for cutting. Of the 2 tasks I'd say snowplowing is the more important, time consuming and challenging.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:48 AM

31,294 posts, read 50,590,528 times
Quote:
thanks. I guess it would be somewhere in between lawn and pasture. Maybe lawn that we don't cut that short or very often, I'm not quite sure yet. It's nothing we water or treat or anything for sure.

These plows look a little puny. I wonder if I'd be better off with a small truck with a plow and a cheaper lawn tractor for cutting. Of the 2 tasks I'd say snowplowing is the more important, time consuming and challenging.
In my region, any land that is ignored will have tree saplings coming up.

Even to keep a jeep trail 'open' means that every 2 or 3 years you need to run a bush-hog through it. It may look like mowing, but honestly it is to knock down the tree saplings.

I do not have a bush-hog. My tractor is too small to run one. However I do have a disc-harrow, by disc-harrowing my trails, with a simply drag behind that. I do not need to bush-hog.

I would suspect that your 1.5 acre meadow, after being ignored for a couple years will likely have 200 small tree saplings in it.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:32 PM

981 posts, read 1,147,343 times
Hire it out. In my area for $65/ hour I can hire a local semi-retired farmer to mow my 10 acre pasture, move my manure pile, spread gravel, spray, etc. I hire out maybe 20-25 hours a year....well worth it, I don't need to do upkeep and maintenance on the tractor, or the labor. WAY cheaper.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:10 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,569,513 times
I can't help myself, in answer to the OP's question, buying too many...........

Old 04-15-2015, 02:11 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,569,513 times
Sorry, carry on now

Old 04-22-2015, 11:57 AM

28,842 posts, read 18,423,666 times
Quote:
The land is fairly flat and not bumpy and pretty much cleared. We won't have a pristine lawn, basically whatever grows.

We get plenty of snow - somewhere around 150" a year. Driveway is not too long, about 125 ft.

Not sure if a loader would plow very well? Something like this? 2013 Kubota BX1870 Tractors | Heartland Kubota, LLC SHERIDAN, WY
I think that would be a good fit for what you're describing. A Kub BX is a lot more tractor (even at only 18hp) than many "lawn mowers" that claim 20+HP but are so lightly built that you can pick them up with one hand. And too big a tractor can be as awkward as too small. I have ~1/2 mile of driveway and my Kub L3240 handles it and many other tasks. But it (with a flail mower) is too big and clumsy to mow with, especially around the house and many trees-just added a "garden tractor" to the stable. With only 125 ft of driveway and modest acreage, that BX should be nice.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:15 PM

950 posts, read 737,245 times
Sometimes smaller is better

We have a creek thru my small lot..........most of the lots are small,,,,,,,,,and a guy was working clearing the brush on the other side of the creek where my property meets the neighbors

The guy had a new small Kubota ( front wheel assist ) tractor with a small loader with a small bucket.

He said everyone laughed when he bought such a small tractor but he is so busy he turns jobs down.
He can get in smaller lots and places where the guys laughing could not.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:30 PM

26,841 posts, read 53,682,243 times
10 years now and the BX is a real trouper... still gets into places where my bigger backhoe never could.

Also picked up a Kubota L3800 that is working out well.

Having owned Kubota, Deere, CAT... I can say they are all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living