Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:40 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,134 times

Advertisements

If you really want to talk tractors, this is the place to go. TractorByNet.com | John Deere, Kubota, New Holland, and more!

They have really helped me out over the years. Lots of tractor discussions there.

About eight years ago I bought a Yanmar YM2000B. The dealer was close to me, and had all kinds of information, most of it wrong. He was about 10 years off the date of when it was made.

I found out from tractorbynet that it was built in 1979 and is 24 engine HP. 21HP at the pto. I built a set of forks for the front loader. I use it every day to haul logs out of the woods. I have an outdoor stove that I burn year round.

Horsepower is not the problem with compact tractors. Lack of traction is my major drawback. I have my tires loaded with windshield washer fluid, and I carry a 300 lb tail weight. I get by, but have dropped my load on occasion to push myself out with the front loader. When this one finally dies, I will replace it with 4 wheel drive. My tractor would also be worthless to me without a front loader. That is another must have. I'm ready for the 30-40 Hp range. Everything else is optional.

My neighbor has a Ford New Holland, and my brother has a Long made in Europe. I have used both and would be happy with either. They were both brand new, so that is always better than working with old junk. I don't think brand really matters as long as you stay away from the Chinese built tractors. I have never heard anything good about them. (Yanmar builds John Deere. All American brand compacts are built in Japan.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 04:22 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
We were just at the JD tractor dealer and he told us the Kubota was a great tractor!

Old 04-07-2008, 04:25 AM

Anybody know anything about Bobcat tractors?

Old 04-08-2008, 12:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Anybody know anything about Bobcat tractors?
as in "skidsteers" ? (There are a few "skidsteer" forums, or lawnsite.com . heavy equip)

/ toolcat? (ATV / gator type vehicle)

Old 04-08-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
as in "skidsteers" ? (There are a few "skidsteer" forums, or lawnsite.com . heavy equip)

/ toolcat? (ATV / gator type vehicle)
No tractors....

Bobcat Compact Tractors - Bobcat Company

Old 04-08-2008, 06:24 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
I have an old International Super C, 1954 model, bought it for about $1500, have bought a pretty large collection of implements, when available the IH-specific "quick hitch" stuff. 7' sicle bar mower is probably my favorite tool. This is a pre-OSHA implement and will eat your lunch for you if you are not careful with it.

Use a blade to move a little dirt and snow when we have it.

I have not had any regrets. The fact that it's gasoline rather than Diesel means I don't have to keep Diesel fuel on hand, so won't have any mis-fueling episodes. My impression is that the gas motor is less stressed. 123 c.i. and 22 horsepower, that's pretty low stress.

An antique, smaller "real" tractor is both useful and fun, somewhat collectable, if you take good care if it you'll always be able to sell it for a small profit or at worst recover most of your investment IMHO.

At the same time, not for the absent-minded or accident prone!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:59 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
I have no experience with them, but they look like nice tractors.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:26 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
General statement - The most expensive tool you can own is the one slightly too small for the job. I suggest that if you need a tractor - get a real tractor not a "rural homeowners special". Buy used and learn to fix it yourself as part of a rural self-sufficiency kit. Replace the filters and fluids in the engine and, if very old, hoses and oil in hydraulic systems, fuel and brake lines. Avoid new and complex systems that require special dealer tools to diagnose and repair.

Local trade schools and extension service classes are a good place to learn "wrenching, welding and general repair” if you didn't grow up with this stuff. Be very careful around any machinery because it can snag a jacket and pull you into the moving parts.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER WEAR A TIE OR A SCARF!!

Old 04-10-2008, 12:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
thanks, news to me, my Bobcat dealer sells Kyoti (which is what I would buy, if I couldn't afford a Kubota)

My experience with Bobcat (now Ingersoll-Rand) is not great, as parts are often proprietary and EXPENSIVE. Even my Bobcat brand stump grinder attachment has slightly different teeth ($8) than Vermeer ($3). They also 'under-engineer' drive train components, leading to very expensive repairs. I am looking at $6,000 in repairs on my Compact Track Loader when I get to ~ 1200 hrs. Just for drive motors, idlers and tracks (all of which have been redesigned and are not longer available as replacement parts) The competition can get twice the life on their running gear. The Mini-Ex are the same way, Deere is preferred or Takeguchi, Yanmar or Kobelco. CAT is not too popular due to the cost of parts and 'attitude' of some dealers. (they make compact tractors too... actually the OFFER compact tractors made by someone else but "Branded" CAT.

The Tractorbynet.com site does have lots of good info and the posters are often quite well versed or at least experienced in using the equip to make a living. (thus it needs to run...)

Old 01-10-2009, 04:26 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I got a Massey Ferguson 2410, 3 cylinder Diesel 22Hp with front loader and backhoe. 4WD is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living