U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:05 PM

11,091 posts, read 13,407,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Is there no way to retrofit an older tractor with ROPS?

Glad to see someone report on the Massey Ferguson -

I bought the smallest JD snowblower and traded it in for a similar Honda which I liked much better. I wish Honda made a small tractor. JD may be as good as its rep, but I had a regional rep in my Guard unit that was fast tracking in the company and he was a total snake. I know its not reasonable but that makes me not want to support his paycheck.
ANYTHING can be made,but a "platform" tractor is much easier to do this on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 01:40 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,374,657 times
We had to decide between a tractor or skid steer, and for our purposes, I am so glad we chose the skid steer. We got a Bobcat S185, and it has been great. We have some land that is a little too steep for a tractor, and the size of the Bobcat is perfect for maneuvering around the trees, etc. We are not using it for farming though, mainly road maintenance and clearing. You would be amazed at the other things it has came in handy for!

Old 03-19-2013, 12:08 PM

9,936 posts, read 15,344,182 times
There are no utility tractors under 50 HP made in the USA. I went with a Kubota 3000DT and I love it. It is all gears, no hydrostatic drive. Hydrostatic is great and convenient if you don't load the tractor down with tasks such as plowing furrows, bush hogging or snow blowing. It is VERY expensive to repair hydrostatic drives.

Here's another hint: Get a back hoe with a PTO driven pump so that oil is not shared with your tractor system.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:29 PM

31,298 posts, read 50,601,455 times
Front-mounter PTO snow-blowers are great!

I use mine a lot.

The backhoe is also great

Old 03-23-2013, 01:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,805 posts, read 41,468,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I would only wish that I could have found a track-crawler that had pontoons, with a loader and backhoe, to fit within my budget.

But I couldn't so this is it.
like this?
http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CE0BBF7551C1D0
(all prices below are USED... well used...)
Really depends on work / terrain. I have 15% grade over about 1/2 the farm, and 20 - 40% on the rest. Crawler is a must, tho I use my tractors (~$10k ) quite a bit (dangerously).

I do LOVE my Case Crawler Loader w/ 4:1. ($7,000) Also couldn't find a Hoe for it at the time, but I do use the 'Scarifier' (5 tooth Ripper) LOTS, the 4:1 bucket can pull the stubbornest fence post with ease, and can also grab and move an 80' tall tree trunk lying in my path. (which I would have a hard time even tugging around with my tractors)

Also have a 12,000# Track hoe ($10k) and 11,000# rubber tracked Skidsteer w/ 9 attachments. ($30k) The stump grinder attachment ($8k) is the moneymaker. I can do about 100 stumps / day 20" Dia and below in rough / steep terrain.

Truth is, my least expensive toy (Crawler Loader) is by far the best for my needs, and is REALLY cheap to fuel, but CERTAINLY not cheap to operate ($part / hr). I have used it for MANY yrs. I rigged up the 'ultimate' weedwacker by mounting a Brush-hog to the Loader. I can clear ~ 1 acre / hr of brambles and small trees, even if STEEP. The 4:1 is REALLY nice for landscape grading and leveling. You can open the bucket a tad, and use it for 'Metered' grading (like an Earth Scraper). I also have a jib pole so I can set trusses on Barns!

For tractors... as always... there is NO SUBSTITUTE for weight. Low power is preferable to light weight. LOW gears are necessary too.

All my stuff is light enough for me to load up and tug around on my 3 axle trailer (22,000 GVWR). I am building a flatbed truck w/ hoist (22' flatbed 3 axle) so I can get into TIGHT places in Mtns. It is done except the detachable set of ramps and a 40k winch. I was REALLY quite cheap (<$3000) and is an ex trash compactor truck so LOTS of spare hydraulics. (I would love to make a 'tub grinder' for chipping brush).
http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...-lf-way-up.jpg

Old 03-23-2013, 02:21 PM

273 posts, read 260,180 times
What I would recommend is drive around or talk to your friends and see what brands everyone uses because then you can get the same brand and trust me when you have a problem and you eventually will someone somewhere will have had that problem before and can walk you through fixing it. Or if not that they can give you the number to the guy who can fix it even if it's not the dealer. In my area it's a 19 year old kid who repairs most of the small tractors around here. He's a go cart racer and learned this just growing up on a farm and having to learn to work on these things.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:36 AM

357 posts, read 894,830 times
i owned JD 3038E for about 6 months now.it is 37.1 hp. my initial plan was to use it to thinning forest land. the dealer remind it is not for that kind of use, i went a head and bough it anyway. i have seen my neighbor use his 25 hp tractor to pull out 30 feet tall tree, i though 37 hp should be able to do it also. this is my first tractor, i learn that it is not the tractor, the person that operate is the key. i am enjoy using to grade gravel drive way, move the down trees and create pathway in the wood land.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:52 AM

797 posts, read 1,152,331 times
Hard to compare horsepower with older farm tractors vs newer tractors.

Older farm tractors were designed for pulling and thus an older 30 HP farm tractor would easily out pull the newer 40+ HP tractors of today.

( the John Deere B and Farmall H would be examples of older tractors I mentioned )

Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 PM

624 posts, read 1,045,552 times
Not really a small tractor, I purchased a Kubota BX2360 mainly for mowing, and while its been excellent for that (7 acres), I wish now I had gotten a compact model instead of the sub compact, better ground clearance, Kubota 2920 model would be the model I had in mind.

Only drawback to that, is it would be harder getting in some places mowing with the larger tractor.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:28 PM

26,859 posts, read 53,699,711 times
Just put 300 hours on my little Kubota BX... still find I use it the most.

Also have a Deere 110 TLB that has a powerful hoe...

After 17 years I sold my CAT D3 dozer... found I was only using it about 6 hours annually... I already miss it because nothing like a few hours on a Dozer to rejuvenate the soul!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living