U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 04:56 PM

14,825 posts, read 46,192,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Wells and Septic are a local thing. And it can be highly local. We have septic and a 4 home community well. All been here for 35 years with no problems other than replacing the well pump every 10. Our well is reasonable deep...400 feet and we pump from around 250. Bill is less than $50 a month for electric per house and we end up putting up a couple of grand when the pump fails. Other places in town have water close to the surface but have much more trouble with flow rates. And other places wells have dried up and a hookup to the local water was required as new wells cannot be drilled. Our septic is about 35 year and gets pumped abount every 8 years.

Wells here are by the foot and reasonably expensive as it is mostly drilled through rock. The health district has an elaborate planning system. Basically a pain as the newer specs are incompatible with the old so any change requires replacement of the entire system at a cost that can run $30,000..
You don't say where you are, but guessing from the prices, and the oppressive regulations, I would guess Cali.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 08:15 PM

24,839 posts, read 33,090,791 times
Quote:
Wells and Septic are a local thing. And it can be highly local. We have septic and a 4 home community well. All been here for 35 years with no problems other than replacing the well pump every 10. Our well is reasonable deep...400 feet and we pump from around 250. Bill is less than $50 a month for electric per house and we end up putting up a couple of grand when the pump fails. Other places in town have water close to the surface but have much more trouble with flow rates. And other places wells have dried up and a hookup to the local water was required as new wells cannot be drilled. Our septic is about 35 year and gets pumped abount every 8 years.

Wells here are by the foot and reasonably expensive as it is mostly drilled through rock. The health district has an elaborate planning system. Basically a pain as the newer specs are incompatible with the old so any change requires replacement of the entire system at a cost that can run $30,000..
What is changing is the old style jet pumps...........the HD wants submersible.

The reason is once a jet system is in...........there is really no way to chlorinate the well.

With a submersible pump it is easy.

I drill both rock and screened wells.......they range for $4300 to $7500 for a complete system.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:34 PM

14,361 posts, read 5,588,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
What is changing is the old style jet pumps...........the HD wants submersible.

The reason is once a jet system is in...........there is really no way to chlorinate the well.

With a submersible pump it is easy.

I drill both rock and screened wells.......they range for $4300 to $7500 for a complete system.
Sweetheart around here any well under $10,000 is considered a gift. And if you want to get up the hill and get a good view of the strip it may well triple that. We pay something like 10 grand to pull and change our pump. Some years ago I went at it with our well guy. Made him replace only the motor and not the pump. Worked fine but would not properly pressurize the system. So we then replaced the pump. Still would not pressurize the system. Finally added a surface booster pump and got it all to work. Asked the pump guy/driller to cover the unnecessary replacement and pull. Got told to go to hell. Did not chase it for reasons that are not appropriate here. But we came out of it OK.

On the deep wells however the water is wonderful. Hard as a rock but been down there for 10,000 yeqrs.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Sweetheart around here any well under $10,000 is considered a gift. And if you want to get up the hill and get a good view of the strip it may well triple that. We pay something like 10 grand to pull and change our pump. Some years ago I went at it with our well guy. Made him replace only the motor and not the pump. Worked fine but would not properly pressurize the system. So we then replaced the pump. Still would not pressurize the system. Finally added a surface booster pump and got it all to work. Asked the pump guy/driller to cover the unnecessary replacement and pull. Got told to go to hell. Did not chase it for reasons that are not appropriate here. But we came out of it OK.

On the deep wells however the water is wonderful. Hard as a rock but been down there for 10,000 yeqrs.
How deep is your well and what size casing??

Old 06-28-2016, 07:18 PM

14,361 posts, read 5,588,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
How deep is your well and what size casing??
Well is 400 feet. We originally pumped from 280 9r 290 but the water level has risen and we now pump from 250. Looks to be 6 or 7 inch casing. Originally used a 7.5 hp pump. Now a 5 hp.

I believe I have a copy of the original well drillers report. I will see if I can find it.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Well is 400 feet. We originally pumped from 280 9r 290 but the water level has risen and we now pump from 250. Looks to be 6 or 7 inch casing. Originally used a 7.5 hp pump. Now a 5 hp.

I believe I have a copy of the original well drillers report. I will see if I can find it.
Thanks.......I would love to see it.

I drill 5" PVC water wells.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:33 PM

5,571 posts, read 6,139,100 times
Once you abandon your private well and join a water district, you are at their mercy. There is no way going back. You can't tell town hall you don't need or want their services any longer. It happened to us. One of my neighbors insisted to keep his private well, but he still pays the town, same as if he used their water.
Now, the town board are raising the cost of water year after year.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:09 AM

10,051 posts, read 20,599,151 times
I've lead homes with both well/septic systems and municipal water/sewage, usually with trash collection as part of the deal. Either way is fine.

You tend to have more budget busters with a well and septic, because things tend to break and need maintenance. When the power goes out, you're out of luck because your pump won't run. If it gets really cold you have to protect the pump and pipes from freezing.

With municipal systems, your costs are consistent and predictable. If you want to irrigate a big garden, your bill might suddenly skyrocket as there is often a base rate, then a higher rate for excessive usage.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I've lead homes with both well/septic systems and municipal water/sewage, usually with trash collection as part of the deal. Either way is fine.

You tend to have more budget busters with a well and septic, because things tend to break and need maintenance. When the power goes out, you're out of luck because your pump won't run. If it gets really cold you have to protect the pump and pipes from freezing.

With municipal systems, your costs are consistent and predictable. If you want to irrigate a big garden, your bill might suddenly skyrocket as there is often a base rate, then a higher rate for excessive usage.
Most pumps now days are down in the well........they will never freeze..........and are generator compatible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living