U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:12 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,605,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
I love the history of the Civil War and all the sites. Went on a kick a while back and read many books on the subject. It is amazing how such a great country as ours can be involved in so much bloodshed and still retain our democracy in the end and live in peace.
Do I understand that your photos are Civil War era buildings? If so that is amazing and what a piece of history preserved!
Yes they are, and there are a lot more. I didn't post the old slave quarter buildings as I thought it would be insensitive even though they existed then... and still do now...as artifacts of history.

There are four Civil War re-enactment sites within 20 miles of me that put on a show every year, with participants from the North as well as the South. Bentonville Civil War Re-enactment - a photoset on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/artsiannie/sets/72157603643184561/ - broken link)

Contrary to what some think the great majority of Southerners are not still "fighting" the Civil War. Some confuse that with pride in our states.

Last edited by RuralCoastalGuy; 02-17-2008 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: added in a website
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 01:56 PM

7,624 posts, read 15,808,679 times
I live in Klamath County, Oregon - our address is technically Chiloquin (population 716), but I live closer to Fort Klamath (unicorporated city). We're about 25 miles south of the south entrance to Crater Lake National Park, at about 4,500'. Our acreage is on a south/southwest gentle slope and we look across the north end of Agency Lake (Upper Klamath Lake, part of the huge Klamath National Wildlife Refuge) to the Cascades Mountains - the most beautiful sunsets imaginable.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:12 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,823,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
I guess we have not defined what a small city is so I'll add mine. There is a population under 10,000. We sit between the ocean and a bay. Oh yes I am in North Bend, Oregon. We've got lots of trees and parks. WalMart is not here but in the adjoining city.
We get a lot of tourists during summer and fall. Many people know some of the people in town but not all. Most of us are transplants from another location. Once they cut down on the logging years ago people who worked in that moved out. Many retired people have moved in.
This is a Marine type of climate. We get quite a bit of rain but no extreme weather. There's many places in town with a water view.
You can see more about it here City of North Bend, Oregon
I love North Bend, my grandparents used to live next door in Coos Bay. Wonderful area!

Old 02-17-2008, 03:18 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,823,478 times
I live in Susanville, CA. Population just over 11,000. We are pretty rural, 80-100 miles from anything else. We are located at the base of the Cascades and overlook the Honeylake Valley, which is the high desert. So we have a cold winter with snow and hot dry summers. What I really love is any direction you drive, there are tons of outdoor recreation opportunities. We spend many summer days at the lake, which is never crowded from the campgrounds during the week. The schools are great with parent participation. We have some great community events. Its a great little city in the middle of nowhere!

Old 02-17-2008, 04:21 PM

Cool Keep em coming folks

Yes, if your town has that small feeling then 10,00o is not a big population..Sure nice to see that posters are contributing from all over America

Old 02-18-2008, 09:39 AM

7,566 posts, read 16,620,084 times
Thanks! Im from Ireland and people always talked about how can I move from the Green of Ireland to the brown of New Mexico. Right about then we got way above avg rainfall that year too then I got hired as Tourism Director. The slogn is also meant to represent the better way of life we have in small towns vs the hustle and bustle of big citires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBatz View Post
"Where The Grass Is Always Greener...neat slogan...Thanks for sharing this with us.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Thanks! Im from Ireland and people always talked about how can I move from the Green of Ireland to the brown of New Mexico. Right about then we got way above avg rainfall that year too then I got hired as Tourism Director. The slogn is also meant to represent the better way of life we have in small towns vs the hustle and bustle of big citires.
Thanks for that explanation...now do you have a real Irish pub there yet

Old 02-18-2008, 04:06 PM

4,610 posts, read 10,297,120 times
I live in a small town on a lake... Granbury, Texas. granburytx.com

Old 02-18-2008, 06:35 PM

380 posts, read 1,072,516 times
Roma, Granbury TX is my parents' dream town. They just moved to Arlington from TN, but are renting there and hope that where my Dad finds a job, he will be close enough that they can buy a home in Granbury and commute to the Ft. Worth area. I haven't seen the town yet, only pics, but it looks charming.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:15 AM

495 posts, read 2,107,701 times
I live in rural, north central Florida. It is a lot different from the tourist areas along the coast

I couldnt live in big city Florida:

Working on the burn pile as seen from my front steps:

Winter pasture with Orange Lake in the background

Country road:

Granddaddy live oak in the village of McIntosh:

Wildflowers on the edge of a "prarie" in November:

Lochloosa Eagle:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living