U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 07:19 PM

471 posts, read 491,366 times

Advertisements

I moved to a rural area about 6 months ago and I have noticed some behaviors I find surprising.

75% of the houses have everything in front of the house instead of the back. Picnic tables, decks, trampolines, above ground pools, etc. Don't you want that in back for more privacy and less clutter?

A lot of rural people litter without a thought. There is not much traffic on our country roads, but I see litter all the time. I see drivers throwing things out their car windows frequently. I walk my dogs along the road and have almost been hit by a big gulp cup. I rarely saw that in the suburbs. What gives?

My husband built our house mostly by himself. Several locals approached him for work, and he did hire some local people to help him frame & put on siding. Now those same people who gladly took his money act like they don't know him.

Should I be surprised by this, or is it par for the course in the rural U.S.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 08:35 PM

5,576 posts, read 5,996,339 times
This is not everywhere. But sure is a lot in some states. You don't mention your state.
I have driven from Arizona into Utah. Like night and day. Utah folks mostly keep neat yards/home.
I have driven from New Hampshire into Quebec Province. Like night and day. Quebec being quite neatly kept.

Generalizations are not quite adequate. But I have seen differences.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:36 PM

8,565 posts, read 5,348,151 times
This is more a matter of socioeconomic class, than a rural/suburban/urban divide. Rural areas with more affluent (or at least middle-class) denizens will not have such attributes. Areas bereft of good jobs, where farms are failing and factories have closed, where drug-addiction is rampant, and where the more enterprising locals have left,... will be mired in such attributes.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:25 PM

5,326 posts, read 5,211,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
This is more a matter of socioeconomic class, than a rural/suburban/urban divide. Rural areas with more affluent (or at least middle-class) denizens will not have such attributes. Areas bereft of good jobs, where farms are failing and factories have closed, where drug-addiction is rampant, and where the more enterprising locals have left,... will be mired in such attributes.
Nah, I live in a poor rural area, people are way down on the food chain, most are peculiar and reclusive but they dont litter, period. Most are obsessive about lawn mowing unlike me, it is neat and poor. Trash/litter pick up doesnt exist yet the roads are clean and garbage free. OP has not been to much of suburbia to make the claims she makes, or she didnt leave her house much. Without continuous litter/garbage pick up suburbia will be buried in garbage warp speed. Some suburban areas (NY, NJ pop to my mind) are covered with litter anyway despite obsene property prices over there. Yet most of upstate NY "villages" visibly behind in economic race are litter free, one could see just blight, and general delapidation, rarely weeds, mowing is an obsession transending class. Poverty alone doesnt cause anyone to litter. It takes "alienation", drug, crime, bitterness etc. induced, then littering is just another way to say "fu all". If people are unhappy to be where they are, they'll express that feeling in the socially/legally unacceptable ways. I guess I live among content poor people (well relatively poor, genuinely poor folks can survive only in the towns/cities.)

Last edited by RememberMee; 06-13-2016 at 11:37 PM..

Old 06-13-2016, 11:38 PM

2,896 posts, read 2,897,062 times
Well the best place to keep stuff is in the front yard. A lot of people with acreage just consider the whole thing a yard, with no front or back distinction. You're not going to park your new willys jeep you're restoring way out on the back 40, it would be too far away from the outdoor pool and fridge.

I can't speak for the excessive litter in rural areas as people seem to be nasty trash producing littering creatures all over the globe.

I've never had a problem with people acting like they don't know me. Even people I meet for the first time usually say that they've seen me around.

I do feel like it takes a bit of time to be "accepted" into the community. A lot of people expect newcomers to move away fairly quickly so don't emotionally invest. Putting yourself out there really helps.

As anywhere in the U.S. there are less than deseriable rural areas to really nice ones with everything in between. Good luck.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:16 AM

10,234 posts, read 14,173,065 times
Lots of true opinions on here. But one thing I want to add, is that a benefit of rural living is that people have FREEDOM with their properties. One who has lived in a town or city has had to abide by city restrictions, if not HOA's, and urban bureaucracy, so seeing people get lax with their property would naturally look odd. While "trash" is not pretty to look at, I don't see why they should have to park or place anything in a certain side of the property. They don't care if you see their tractor or boat. I'm not seeing the problem with this one bit.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:42 AM

15,586 posts, read 7,661,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
Several locals approached him for work, and he did hire some local people to help him frame & put on siding. Now those same people who gladly took his money act like they don't know him.
That doesn't surprise me at all. I even ended up boycotting a local store for that very reason.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:32 AM

2,817 posts, read 1,804,568 times
It's not the suburbs where people are taking notes on whose house is acceptable--that's why a lot of people like rural living.

On our road, we and our neighbors have a gorgeous view out to the back and not as good a view out the front, so most folks have even their septic and propane tanks in the front or towards the front of their side yards. We like to have an uncluttered view out the back, and who cares if someone drives by and doesn't like how the front of our house looks?

Old 06-14-2016, 09:20 AM

6,787 posts, read 5,408,193 times
Some people move out to the country so they can do whatever they want. This includes living like piggies. Lol

Old 06-14-2016, 09:54 AM

9,793 posts, read 17,544,302 times
This all reminds me of a neighbor I used to have--he would drink at least one diet pepsi every day. Then when he came home, he would clean his car out--onto the driveway! Over several months he had quite a collection of flattened plastic bottles and then one day they were gone. I really hope he took them to the recycler but I wondered why he was willing to live with his driveway looking like that.

I do appreciate the fact that people aren't so hung up about what their neighbors are doing in the country though--in many city and suburban neighborhoods you can't even have a clothesline and that is ridiculous in a world where we need to conserve resources and clothes drying outside is such a pleasant housekeeping task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living