Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 01:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLY224 View Post
I am looking for a home in pa...1 FAMILY ,3 BR 2 BATH,........2 hrs or less from nyc,,,,,,URBAN AREA....private community,,,,good price,,WANT A NICE QUIET TOWN................,low taxes...can u help me.what town?
A nice quiet town is the furthest thing from being an URBAN AREA. Suggest looking at amaller towns near colleges & universities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 03:37 PM

526 posts, read 1,002,714 times
Eugene,OR - No Trustafarians there. Those hippies are the real deal.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:48 PM

5 posts, read 7,245 times
Default College towns

When we lived in Carbondale Ill the guy who pumped our gas had a masters in history. The chief bartender at the local biker bar worked with development disadvantaged children during the day. 2 of my favorite folk musicians moved to Fayetteville Arkansas for the reasons you stated. Fresno California has that vibe. The Susquehanna area of northern Pennsylvania is cool, cold in winter though. Austin Texas kind of sucks with hellish traffic jams and many posers from the local computer industry. I will not tell you my favorite, yeah I live there but why mess it up.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:50 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Forest City PA. Homes are very inexpensive. There is a cafe that is open for lunch run by a very hippieish woman (very nice I might add) that is decorated very 60s ish and serves home made soup, and has many vegetarian offerings.

Also an interesting used book store and a nascent art and music scene.Very un-gentrified.
I don't think anyone would care if you lived in a "rusted mobile home" or an old Victorian with peeling paint and a saggy porch.

Not all hippies though. Also hunter and woodsman types. Pretty much live and let live.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:51 PM

73 posts, read 246,672 times
Bisbee, absolutely. It is a VERY accepting and friendly town, unless you are "normal". Normal is just too weird. It has a large gay/lesbian population. Big art community and great antique malls. Housing prices went up when I think it was Money magazine extolled it's virtues. But with the economy now, I don't know but it should be a whole lot more realistic by. I haven't been there in 3 years, but lived there from 02 to 06. Bureaucratic interference is generally not a problem. I know of a prominent business owner there that went for several years before "they" finally realized he didn't have a business license. No fine, just come in and get one. If you live in old town, you can walk everywhere. That's good if you drink, cuz' the bars all pour strong. With the altitude, it'll kick your derriere. The other side of town is Warren, more residential with cute little homes. Couple good websites that'll tell all.
Someone mentioned Desert Hot Springs, CA. It's near Palm Springs. No, it is not at all what the OP asked for. It has a bad reputation. Really windy. Really hot in the summer, as in 118 hot. It has gang problems, also druggies of the meth variety. No funky downtown. If you live in DHS, you don't admit to it. I have a business in Palm Springs area, so I'm familiar. That said, if you ever drive through, go to Gypsyland in DHS. Google it. It is a mid century thrift shopping experience! The only redeeming thing to DHS.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:49 PM

708 posts, read 1,295,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
I'm looking for very small, very inexpensive rural towns that are throwbacks to the 1960's values.

Liberal, or libertarian, but not trust fund "fashion" liberals like Marin County, and with plenty of artists, writers, craftspeople, home schoolers...

The kind of places where you could wear a tie dye T-shirt or go topless, friends would feel free to drop by anytime unannounced for a bite to eat, live in a hand built home or a rusting out trailer and still be valued as a part of the community if you are a nice person.

it has to have survivable weather too.
Have you tried the twilight zone?

Old 07-23-2011, 06:01 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
New Paltz, Saugerties and Trumansburg in NY State.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:19 AM

223 posts, read 334,275 times
I apologize if this town has been mentioned before, but I don't have time to go through this many pages (maybe later) - Madrid, NM.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:29 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
The OP started this thread 3 years ago & is no longer a member, so... this is just for "us" : )

I vote for Eugene, OR or Arcata, CA.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:03 AM

114 posts, read 268,172 times
Check out the deep vertical valleys of Western Oregon, if you can take the rain and the isolation. Lots of tiny communities of hippies and artists living in rusty trailers and owner built homes, often on shared land way out in the woods. Drive to Eugene for "culture" cuz that's where the real hippies are, the old ones pushing 70, and their kids and grand kids and tribes and circles. Go to Saturday Market, go to the Oregon country Fair, go to Yachats out on the coast. Maryjane is cheap and good, everyone plays guitars and djembes, vegan options abound and bicyclists get ran over often because there are so many of them. The rednecks are tired of fighting with us, so they fix our cars and we trade them "vegetables: The scene is not tense unless you're talking methheads and all they want to do is steal stuff. Another benefit to community land, someone is always home and all hippies have dogs, all rednecks have guns, and some of us have both. The meth problem is bad in some places, but not like in the farm belt. Stay away from those people and keep your stuff secure. They die easily and often, just wait them out. Sad bastards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living