Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 08:14 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacahootaman View Post
try Micanopy Florida.

It is just outside of Gainesville the home of the Univ of Fla and lots of old hippies and perfessor types end up moving out of Gainesville to the Micanopy area.

It is a very scenic town with giant moss covered live oaks and lots of tall palms and old houses. It does have a touristy downtown though with antique shops, etc. But you dont have to live in town but can live outside of it in the country.

There is lots of georgeous acreage south of town in North Marion County, which is very hilly by Florida standards. Land aint cheap since the housing bubble but prices are starting to fall

It is an easy commute via I 75 to Gainesville or Ocala for shopping etc.
Wacahootaman, I love Micanopy. I just took a N. Florida (the "Real Florida") trip in December, and we camped at Payne's Prairie State Park for a couple of days. We rode our bikes into Micanopy and all over the trails in the park. That area's topography is so interesting. There is this huge prairie that grew up in an enormous sinkhole. Tons of wildlife inhabit the area, including wild horses (which we did see) and Bison. There are lovely small towns near Micanopy too. I can't remember the name of the one that I was so surprised by, as it was very hilly. I need to read some Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings books ("The Yearling", "Cross Creek"), as they are set it that area, where she grew up. I don't know if there's much of a job market, unless one wants to commute to Gainesville, but that's not too far. And yes, it is a bit pricey, but not too bad compared to many other markets. Absolutely charming area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 08:31 AM

601 posts, read 1,903,881 times
Some areas around Seattle Wa.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:19 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,382,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Lots of artists in Asheville, NC -- not many hippie types when I was there last (and not long ago). Can't beat cheapjoes, though, in the mountains.
Oh they're around. Maybe not as many of the young, dreadlocked set (though they're around, too), but the older crowd numbers many a granola, hemp, montessori type.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:21 PM

18,705 posts, read 33,372,489 times
Most such places are already "discovered,"meaning they aren't affordable, and the artists and money, by necessity, come from outside. I'd put Asheville and Taos smack into that. Brattleboro is a real city (for Vermont) and offers the same liberal arty amenities of most liberal college towns, but is hardly a small town.
I don't think it's possible to get all those factors in one place, although that Oklahoma town sounded interesting (still Trustafarians, though). If you have artists, they likely aren't all local, and the costs go up with outside money/trust funds.
How about Silver City, NM?
Personally, I can't stand Taos. Wait until sundown for the nightly parade of low-riders.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:26 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
Can't disagree, in general terms, CarolinaBredChicagoan, as I have a few of those older crowd friends who live in the Asheville community. Most of the folks I know, however, are professional artists who have kept their eating habits but changed their grooming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Oh they're around. Maybe not as many of the young, dreadlocked set (though they're around, too), but the older crowd numbers many a granola, hemp, montessori type.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:33 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
Some of the members, including myself, had a huge discussion on artist towns in the General US Forum here.

Inasmuch as I lived in Taos, and was enroute to New England by car, I shared some of my experiences of towns and/or cities along the way, and other members, artists and non-artists alike, shared their views and made recommendations. In one or two cases, I sought out those recommendations.

It is absolutely true that the amenities come at a cost. And that cost generally puts those towns out of reach for some.

One of my choices was Brattleboro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Most such places are already "discovered,"meaning they aren't affordable, and the artists and money, by necessity, come from outside. I'd put Asheville and Taos smack into that. Brattleboro is a real city (for Vermont) and offers the same liberal arty amenities of most liberal college towns, but is hardly a small town.
I don't think it's possible to get all those factors in one place, although that Oklahoma town sounded interesting (still Trustafarians, though). If you have artists, they likely aren't all local, and the costs go up with outside money/trust funds.
How about Silver City, NM?
Personally, I can't stand Taos. Wait until sundown for the nightly parade of low-riders.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:56 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,017,657 times
Jerome, Arizona. Old copper mining town in the Bradshaw mountains of Yavapai County, now full of artists and old hippies. Not unusual to see a happy MJ plant thriving in a sunny window and everyone seems very easy-going. The views from Jerome are incredible looking east out over the Verde Valley and Sedona...breath-taking! Lots of very old homes that have been reburbished...lots of history. Very fun place to spend a summer day...and the best burgers on earth at the Haunted Hamburger cafe!

Old 02-18-2008, 06:39 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,915,473 times
Anna Maria Island, FL fits all of the criteria. Laid back, hippie town on the southwest gulf coast of Florida.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:16 PM

83 posts, read 279,875 times
Bisbee is pretty cool and has a good vibe. Summer days are not that hot compared to the rest of the state

Old 02-24-2008, 11:50 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
I like the Texas Hill Country. The towns are not hippie per se. I lived a pretty bohemian lifestyle for two years in Fredericksburg, Texas in the late 90s. The place has been discovered by retirees and is not really "cool" but it did work for me. I lived in Austin also in the early 90s but those days are very over, a lot of people have moved in and everything's gone way up. There is a vortex just outside of Fredericksburg which may account for the good vibe of the area.

Enchanted Rock: Ascension Portal in Texas ~ Earth-Keeper.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living