Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 04:02 PM

18,715 posts, read 33,372,489 times

Advertisements

Nothing affordable about Santa Cruz, which might well have the most perfect scenery and weather in the country.
There's no shortage of small liberal artsy towns. There are few, if any, that aren't priced sky-high for housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 04:27 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,366 times
The best hippy town isn't in America but is just over the border.

Nelson, BC, and unlike US hippy towns still pretty cheap from what I understand.

Which brings up a question. Isn't an expensive, yuppy hippy town kind of an oxy-moron?

Old 04-21-2008, 05:26 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,631 times
Berkeley, CA.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:33 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,659,312 times
Has anyone mentioned Makanda, Ill. in Carbondale?

Old 04-28-2008, 12:50 PM

11 posts, read 49,170 times
Have you looked into Nederland, CO! Great little town complete with some pretty interesting hippie types. Love the town, love the people!

Old 05-13-2008, 02:26 PM

57 posts, read 304,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
We're getting close...but I haven't found my laid back hippie town yet. It's got to be cheap, really cheap, with moderate weather and truly cool people.
Try 'Takilma, Oregon' near Cave Junction, Oregon. It is about as cheap as you will find. It's close enough to Ashland, Oregon which is very super Hippie. Except Ashland is beyond expensive, but still very Hippie. There's also Cottage Grove, Oregon. And, Humboldt, California. Arcata, California.
You could really truely find out where to live by getting together with the, 'Rainbow People Tribe'. Their National Annual Gathering is in Wyoming this year. You find the link to them by Googling -->> Redwood Rainbows.
The Redwood Rainbows are located in the Redwoods of Humboldt County.
These people are the true Hippies of today. They are Nomadic Hippies.
I see them all the time. There are also, Intentional Communities, egalitarian communities, eco-communities and on and on. You can Google -->> Intentional Communities and there is an endless list to choose from. That's really super cheap living. You work and share for everything for the most part. Very Earthy lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I lived for many years in Lexington, VA, and there are lots of comfortable old hippies living in the hills out there in Rockbridge County. And it's spectacularly beautiful. A pleasant mix of rich and poor, educated and not so, redneck and upperclass twit, everyone settled in quiet and happy for the most part.

One odd thing about living there was that if people felt they knew you, and your door was unlocked, they would walk right into your house and stand in the foyer and call to you. All variety of folks. It was right unsettling.
I'm sorry, this was sooooooooo funny it absolutely made my day!

Last edited by Beretta; 05-13-2008 at 06:44 PM..

Old 05-25-2008, 08:47 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,081,976 times
I agree about Nederland, Colorado.

The place you should check out would have to be... Manitou Springs, Colorado!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is just West of Colorado Springs!!

Perfect!

Old 05-26-2008, 02:39 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
these 2 towns are expensive but hippie style towns--
Taos,New Mexico
Santa Fe,New Mexico

Old 05-26-2008, 05:45 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
I would go with Bisbee; Az. Housing has gone up but it is nowhere 'Jerome' class.

Remember too that Cochise County, Az (Bisbee is the county seat) has quite a few out of the way enclaves like Pearce/Sunsites, etc.

And; the above county has arguably the best weather here in Arizona-----and, it rains more than Tucson let alone Phoenix.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:00 PM

1,177 posts, read 459,100 times
Portland, Oregon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living