U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 04:26 AM

947 posts, read 3,275,596 times

Advertisements

I've lived in towns of 1550 people all the way up to 26,000 people and in the end, I've always preferred the smaller, somewhat rural towns.

Why? The cost of living is usually considerablly lower, with the quality of life being signifigantly more.

It's usually quieter, safer with less crime and the land around me usually has character compared to big towns.

Plus, the magic number for me seems to be towns with anywhere between 2500 and 7000 people in it. Why? I get all the necessities such as cable tv, highspeed internet, and phone service along with a decent grocery store and a "general" store (clothes, medicinal goods, etc) without a big town hassle.

I don't need the fastest high speed internet or the most cable channels... but as long as I've got some decent, I'm satisfied.

Give me a decent job, with decent cable tv/internet/phons ervice, a laundromat, grocery store, a store to by basic needs (clothes, medicine,etc) and a good apartment.. and I'm a happy camper.

Plus, everyone is so much more friendly, helpful and caring.

That's why I love small towns. I hope to return to one in the Northern Plains or Midwest again soon for work!

Plus, as a radio broadcaster.. I prefer the smaller towns, because your listeners actually KNOW your name. .and know you as a PERSON not some big radio dj. They think of you as their next door neighrboor and don't hesitate to stop you in the grocery store and tell you whats on their mind.

(I'm a 24 year old single guy with a 6 year old beagle who works in the field of radio broadcasting.. so take that into account when reading what I've got to say)
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 05:39 AM

18,434 posts, read 29,910,266 times
I like it because it just feels good. I live in a town that is a small portion of a bigger town, almost like a burough.

There is one blinking light, a bank, and a small drs office. A service station with no gas... Just go in, take a seat, you know them and they know you.

The mother cooks food and you can eat it. Comfort food, just get a bowl, get some food, and take a seat... gotta buy the drink though..

About 15 minutes either way to the bigger part of town, or the next town over, where you go grocery shopping, etc.

Has nothing to do with economy for me, I just like it. You can walk down the street and stop to say hello, the neighbors are friendly, and when you lay in bed, you can hear the rain dropping, or hitting your window.

I could say more, but my coffee awaits, and it is tasting good...

Old 02-18-2008, 06:37 AM

3,040 posts, read 10,535,340 times
I like living in my small town because most of the neighbors watch out for each other. It's a great place to be when disaster strikes because the community pulls together to help people out. I also like going to the grocery store, hardware store, bank, Post Office, video store, gun shop, school, or church, and knowing nearly everyone there. I like the fact that we are a close knit community that is friendly and safe, with beliefs and values that make me proud to be part of that community.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:05 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,996,828 times
I like the rural life because I'm into horses and all the farm stuff.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:20 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,589,005 times
I live in a township, not even a town, and it is very rural...horses, cows, chickens, pigs, goats and turkeys....and all are tended in such a way that there is hardly ever a smell.
We have open skies, see the Carolina Blue skies every day and breathe in fresh air.
Although we are not farmers we live amongst them and can tell you that they are the salt of the earth.
Everyone knows everyone here and should strangers mill around they cannot do it without everyone watching them...crime is virtually non existent here. Friday nights are alive with the local High School's sports events.
Life here is peaceful and the way God must have wanted it to be...but we aren't more than 20 minutes away from the hustle and bustle of a small city.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:50 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,847,114 times
Less stress. Cities have too many sensory inputs, and I would feel exhausted just walking the six blocks to work. Then, too, I'd have a harder time crossing streets in a big city.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:02 AM

1,408 posts, read 7,450,122 times
I prefer living in a smaller town. It's peaceful, less crime, more open space, more land with your home (neighbors are not on top of you) and exactly what TKramer said. My peaceful little town of 10,000 borders a larger city that has all the amenities I need (grocery stores, shopping, movies, mall, restaurants) I go to the larger city for these things and then head home to peace and quiet without all those lights from shops and stores glaring at me as I drive down my country streets. It's the best of both worlds.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:21 AM

18,540 posts, read 55,453,855 times
"(I'm a 24 year old single guy with a 6 year old beagle who works in the field of radio broadcasting.. so take that into account when reading what I've got to say)"

Just curious, how does the 6 year old beagle influence what you have to say???

"Ralph, I think you ought to talk more about dog biscuits and possums."

Or did you really mean to say the beagle works in the field of radio broadcasting? Talented pooch.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:01 PM

241 posts, read 1,212,409 times
I don't live in a small town, but in the countryside near one. I prefer rural living after a series of "bad neighbor" experiences when I lived in cities and suburbs. From my home, I can't throw a rock far enough to hit either of my next-door neighbors. Privacy and peace and quiet. That's what I have now (well, as much as you can have with a family that includes three kids and two large dogs).

Old 02-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Status: "My AR self identifies as a musket" (set 6 days ago)

3,619 posts, read 4,573,177 times
my home... in my town ... is my refuge.

Here's my short list...

I believe everyone should have at least one broken down ole car.
(wifey disagrees)

I believe green is good, and it's my favorite color. I do not like the color of concrete.
(wife agrees)

I believe kids need a place to get dirty. (I called my boy's the "mud brothers")

I believe when the kid's get married and come back with grand kids... they'll need a place to "get away".

I like the smell of praire muffins aka meadow dressing instead car fumes(wifey disagrees)

I like a good pig roast

I like barn parties

I like not worrying about where to park

I like peeing outside

I like a good ole happy yard dog

I like tuff ole barn cats

I like dirt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living