Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 07:08 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My parents mostly compost and burn at their rural spread, as well as make runs to the recycling center.
Same with my parents. They always have a burn pile on their 4 acre property, a big compost heap, recycling bins, and the local transfer station is just a mile down the road. They will save up the trash, bagged and in closed metal cans until they have a pickup load, then it's about $7, with recycling free.
Probably costs them about $42/year. In my more suburban area, it's $24.51/month for curbside, plus another $9.26 if you need a yard waste container. I have a chipper/shredder so don't use that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 08:09 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Okay, let's think about this. If it can't be recycled or composted.... what is it?
Cat poop. (No, it can't be composted.)

Old 09-23-2016, 09:16 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
We take trash and recyclables to the county dump about 2-3 times a month, no charge. For yard waste, we let it compost naturally in the wooded areas around the back/side of our property.

Our neighbor burns his trash once in a while, ugh, it smells! I know some of the others on our side of the street pay for private pick up.

The rest of our neighborhood is in city limits and have trash pick up included in their city taxes. We're happy to be outside the city limits.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:47 PM

8,063 posts, read 12,774,958 times
I probably could burn my garbage here but they have a free "convenience center" (AKa dump) in town near the post office. It is easier to take the trash in and dispose of it there. If I had to pay for it I would burn. I think the reason it is free here is that when it wasn't too many people would dump it on the side of the road.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:25 PM

892 posts, read 1,499,892 times
63/quarter for the typical huge bucket on wheels. We also have the option to have a small dumpster on site, which is popular with the folks that have horse properties around here. No clue what they're dumping in there, but my buddy with a handful of horses has said that he has overflowed his dumpster occasionally. No recycling service that I'm aware of. As a single guy living alone, the twice weekly bucket pickup is far more service than I need. I often can go several weeks without filling up the can.

I do burn a lot of paper goods here, largely things with my name or personal information on them. Run them through the strip shredder first, then into the burn barrel.

I've thought about composting occasionally, but living in the low desert without any kind of garden, it just seems like unnecessary extra steps for something that's going to end up in the trash eventually anyways. If I lived in an area that wasn't bone dry, and had some wooded area on the property it would likely be a different story for me.

Old 10-21-2016, 06:00 PM

894 posts, read 586,929 times
We have lived in our town since the end of April of last year but we just moved to this house this month. In our old neighborhood, we were in what was considered the county. Therefore, there was no regular trash pickup for everyone. You either paid to have the trash removed or you had to take it to the dump. My hubby didn't think paying was necessary since we lived close to the dump anyway. So he'd just take it there. Seemed like many of the other neighbors didn't want to pay OR take their trash to the dump; so they just burned their trash.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:03 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
$42/quarter for weekly pick up of garbage and recycling. It's a pain having to wheel those huge barrels down our driveway, but still much easier than having to take it all to a dump. We have our choice of haulers, the first one we had was almost triple the cost of our current one. Some people opt for back door pickup, and are willing to pay for it.

Old 10-22-2016, 01:15 PM

854 posts, read 1,703,680 times
Ours is part of our tax bill. It comes to about $150 a year.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:09 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
My town of 1200 has recycling so I have no garbage or the bill as I don't buy boxed processed anything.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:40 AM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post

If it wasn't mandatory I could throw my little bag of trash in the under-utilized dumpster at work and take my recyclables to the recycle center on the edge of town, but of course the government can't trust me to do that.
This is what I do. Every morning I take plastic bag with refuse to either work or gym trash can. We have chicken farm, so no food wasted. We have very little recyclables as we do not drink sodas and such. We reuse gallons and half gallons for all kinds of property use and if I need to, I have sharp knife and I slice it into pieces and do as said before.
Allied Waste here is very expensive, a monopoly, and ridiculously unreliable. I had them for several years, then said to the hell with it. Do fine without service for about 8-9 years by now. I saved quite a few thousand dollars this way.
Paper, wood, etc we burn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living