Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 08:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times

Advertisements

I'm not out in the country but enjoy doing things myself, and loud toys. Besides a battery charger I have 2 compressors, a gas generator, rototiller, chipper-shredded, riding mower, even a welder. While they are new enough to not have issues, we have a spare vehicle, one for my wife, a Challenger for me, plus my 4x4 pickup for hauling and the infrequent snow. You can never have too many tools, though I don't use the drill press or table saw much, they are nice to have when the circular saw, reciprocating, sabre saw miter saw or router doesn't do the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 11:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
The primary tool for investigating electrical systems, auto and domestic, is a volt/amp meter. These are available at any car part/tool store of Lowe's/Home Despot. They, used as directed in a copy of a home/garage electric system book will be a great help.

With the key OFF to test for a damaged battery you set the meter to DC volts and connect the red wire to the red terminal on the battery and the black wire to the black (ground) terminal. The voltage should read between 12.0 and 12.2 volts. If it is any less by 2 volt increments a cell of the battery is not functioning and the battery need replacement. If it does read 12 volts have someone try to start the truck while you are measuring battery voltage. if the reading drops to 10 volts or lower the battery is dead. If, by some miracle the thing starts, the battery voltage should rise to the 14.7 volts required to charge the battery. If the voltage does not something is wrong with the charging system and may be a simple as a loose belt or as complicated as a broken alternator.

My basic, and after fifty years I have far more then basic, tool collection includes:
I recommend you start with a basic took kit and add as needed:

Face Shield
Mechanics gloves
Kneeling pads
Piece of floor cushion for kneeling on
Voltmeter
Clip lights
Floor jack big enough to lift the heaviest thing that might need lifting
Support stands big enough to hold that up safely
Wheel chocks
Tire wrench for the smaller tires. Let the guys with the equipment handle the 100 lb. plus truck tires. An electric hammer type impact wrench and sockets is expensive but very useful for wheel nuts.
Air compressor to keep all these tires pressurized.
Limited set of wrenches sufficient to turn the smaller nuts and bolts on the stuff you have. Probably both metric and English series as well as some the newer special fasteners.
Good set of screwdrivers, pliers, soft face and ball peen hammers.

And Most important:

INSTRUCTION BOOKS AND MANUALS FOR EVERYTHING AND A NOTE BOOK TO TRACK EVERYTHING YOU DO TO ANYTHING.

I know this us a lot but many of these tools are available in the aforementioned stores or at Pawn Shops. Avoid the cheap junk at the impulse buy counters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living