Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 11:48 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,892,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
(6th paragraph) you mention "Kentucky miners".

Are those miners included in Hillary's boast of .....shutting down the coal industry ?

If coal miners still support Hillary after that comment, they must love welfare over working.
First of all, we are living in a period of time when it's much less expensive to fuel electric plants with cleaner and more abundant natural gas. Would you have the government step in and demand that power plants be fueled solely by coal and nothing else?

Second of all, there is no welfare program in place in the US today like the one you must be imagining that would provide for out-of-work miners, along with anyone else out of work. A person can sign up for food stamps and usually get help with their heating bills, but in the public sphere, that's it.

Plus, there's this little thing called global warming which I already know you consider to be a hoax, so don't wear out your typing fingers in order to display your ignorance to everyone on the Internet. Miners are a hard working lot by definition. Give them a little training for honest work that they can be proud of and that doesn't help to destroy the planet, and you will be amazed at what they can do. I have not heard either Hillary or Trump come forth with any bright ideas in this regard. Typical politicians, the both of them.

This has been an election that is distasteful to just about everyone. However, starting up an open pit mine that takes off half a mountain top is not a viable solution to any of this country's problems. Why not lobby for more outfits like Toyota to relocate a plant building hybrids to somewhere like Berea, KY or Nucla, CO? Just saying.

Finally, that's the best reply you can give in response to my earlier post? Gentlemen and ladies of the jury, I rest my case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 12:33 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,525,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
First of all, we are living in a period of time when it's much less expensive to fuel electric plants with cleaner and more abundant natural gas. Would you have the government step in and demand that power plants be fueled solely by coal and nothing else?

Second of all, there is no welfare program in place in the US today like the one you must be imagining that would provide for out-of-work miners, along with anyone else out of work. A person can sign up for food stamps and usually get help with their heating bills, but in the public sphere, that's it.

Plus, there's this little thing called global warming which I already know you consider to be a hoax, so don't wear out your typing fingers in order to display your ignorance to everyone on the Internet. Miners are a hard working lot by definition. Give them a little training for honest work that they can be proud of and that doesn't help to destroy the planet, and you will be amazed at what they can do. I have not heard either Hillary or Trump come forth with any bright ideas in this regard. Typical politicians, the both of them.

This has been an election that is distasteful to just about everyone. However, starting up an open pit mine that takes off half a mountain top is not a viable solution to any of this country's problems. Why not lobby for more outfits like Toyota to relocate a plant building hybrids to somewhere like Berea, KY or Nucla, CO? Just saying.

Finally, that's the best reply you can give in response to my earlier post? Gentlemen and ladies of the jury, I rest my case.
The election is over. She lost.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:35 PM

4,315 posts, read 3,961,956 times
Quote:

(2nd paragraph) A typical liberal you must be who doesn't consider food stamps and heating assistance welfare.

When the govt pays to feed you and pays to keep your house warm, I call that welfare

.......I rest my case

Old 12-01-2016, 02:39 AM

Quote:
(2nd paragraph) A typical liberal you must be who doesn't consider food stamps and heating assistance welfare.

When the govt pays to feed you and pays to keep your house warm, I call that welfare

.......I rest my case
Oh hell, nothing is more boring than an argument over semantics, especially when it has nothing to do with the subject being discussed in the thread. Even Wikipedia gives a couple of different definitions of the term "welfare" as used in US English:

Quote:
In the United States, depending on the context, the term “welfare†can be used to refer to means-tested cash benefits, especially the Aid to Families with Dependent Children(AFDC) program and its successor, the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families Block Grant, or it can be used to refer to all means-tested programs that help individuals or families meet basic needs, including, for example, health care through Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits and food and nutrition programs (SNAP).Social Insurance programs such as Unemployment Insurance, Social Security, and Medicare are not generally considered "welfare."
As a typical speaker of American English I don't care. Let's use your definition of "welfare" just for grins. I take it that you're splitting hairs on this because you feel that being on welfare is the universal state of the typical rural American. This rural embrace of welfare has been greatly admired by urban Americans who are now all on welfare too. This vast number of Americans on welfare is what gave Trump the election.

And keep these responses of yours coming. Your use of logic and your stunning ability to form a coherent reply have been a source of entertainment for me each time I check back on this thread.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:23 AM

4,315 posts, read 3,961,956 times
Quote:
Oh hell, nothing is more boring than an argument over semantics, especially when it has nothing to do with the subject being discussed in the thread. Even Wikipedia gives a couple of different definitions of the term "welfare" as used in US English:

As a typical speaker of American English I don't care. Let's use your definition of "welfare" just for grins. I take it that you're splitting hairs on this because you feel that being on welfare is the universal state of the typical rural American. This rural embrace of welfare has been greatly admired by urban Americans who are now all on welfare too. This vast number of Americans on welfare is what gave Trump the election.

And keep these responses of yours coming. Your use of logic and your stunning ability to form a coherent reply have been a source of entertainment for me each time I check back on this thread.
Your liberal view remind me of the times Judge Judy asks the single mother who supports her and her kids and she says "I do"

Judge Judy then says..........."no you don't ! You have no job. Bert and I support you and your kids "

But, I guess when one gets hooked on welfare they fail to even realize they are on it.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:34 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,525,239 times
Quote:
Your liberal view remind me of the times Judge Judy asks the single mother who supports her and her kids and she says "I do"

Judge Judy then says..........."no you don't ! You have no job. Bert and I support you and your kids "

But, I guess when one gets hooked on welfare they fail to even realize they are on it.
They consider it to be the same as having a job.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:14 AM

Quote:

Oh well, if JUDGE Judy said it then it must be true. (See, this is what happens when you allow people who get their information from daytime TV to vote) And if you insist on applying me with some political label at least use the correct one which is "communist." I may live in rural America, but even I can see which way the wind is blowing what with our president elect getting cozy with Putin and the Russians (with the help of Wikileaks) hacking their way into the middle of an election in the United States. The rest of the world may think that we rural Americans are just ignorant hillbillies, but they couldn't be more wrong. Now that the growing season is over and we put in new supports for that old hay barn out on County Rd D, we watch Judge Judy every single day. I believe that it was she who actually determined the election. Now why don't you go out and slop the pigs or feed your hobby horses some sour mash and let the grown-ups have a discussion.

@Happy: They who, white girl?

Old 12-06-2016, 08:45 PM

447 posts, read 647,634 times
my town is very conservative and christian and mostly of one race and yes voted overwhelmingly for the new president elect. I live where I do for a reason...

Old 12-08-2016, 01:19 AM

269 posts, read 245,036 times
Yes, rural America decided this vote! I wish my vote had counted in rural Northern California, sadly my vote never counts here.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:00 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,546,933 times
Yep, much of the rural white America around here, collecting every imaginable government assistance, voted Trump partially because they automatically link republican presidency with cutting government assistance to the less deserving, than them, folks down imaginary food chain. Perceived lower ranking individuals (usually non white) alledgedly collecting assistance hundreds and thousands mile away get rural poor blood boiling. To cut assistance to the undeserving downstairs Rural America is willing to shoot itself in the head.

Last edited by RememberMee; 12-11-2016 at 10:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living