Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 08:56 PM

483 posts, read 414,521 times

Advertisements

If SHTF scenario.. I definitely will be heading back to PA (blue state turned red, fact!!! Like WI n MI) where my spouse's clan is.. they own half a mountain.

I bear witness and am an Asian for those who think this election is a racist one.

His family reunion is over 100 mbr strong..
So lots of fine example, not mere 1 or handful of folks.

Some cousins are in the military...
Voted Obama but now trump supporters.
Many cousins have huge family with lots of kids to work the farm you know...

2 of my brother in law.. used to be Obama voters..
Also voted Trump.
One even is a big fan of Africa.. married in S Africa even.

My my in laws are conservative.. that never changed.
Another Brother in law resides in NJ..
Him and all his kids are big Trump fans.

The older generation are all conservative.

Then..
There are the Amish fellows n neighbours who worked alongside our clan to build barns and add on to the houses etc.. Great hardworking people who can put up barns in a few days for a great reasonable hourly prices totally worth it...
You know you heard that in the news.
Voted Trump.

Why PA turned red!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 09:10 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,546,933 times
[quote=David A Stone;46273013]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post

apples to oranges

the decision sports team owners make does not affect my everyday life

The decisions presidents make does.
It doesnt appear presidential decisions affect rural decline much. Clinon, Bush, Obama, Trump. The writing on the wall stays the same that's untill they'll finish drilling waste water well in my area. I doubt an average Trump voter has enough of savings to bug out.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:22 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,255,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romaneats View Post
If SHTF scenario.. I definitely will be heading back to PA (blue state turned red, fact!!! Like WI n MI) where my spouse's clan is.. they own half a mountain.

I bear witness and am an Asian for those who think this election is a racist one.

His family reunion is over 100 mbr strong..
So lots of fine example, not mere 1 or handful of folks.

Some cousins are in the military...
Voted Obama but now trump supporters.
Many cousins have huge family with lots of kids to work the farm you know...

2 of my brother in law.. used to be Obama voters..
Also voted Trump.
One even is a big fan of Africa.. married in S Africa even.

My my in laws are conservative.. that never changed.
Another Brother in law resides in NJ..
Him and all his kids are big Trump fans.

The older generation are all conservative.

Then..
There are the Amish fellows n neighbours who worked alongside our clan to build barns and add on to the houses etc.. Great hardworking people who can put up barns in a few days for a great reasonable hourly prices totally worth it...
You know you heard that in the news.
Voted Trump.

Why PA turned red!!!
Most farms that are larger in size require very few people to run the operation. The only exceptions are generally the Amish or Mennonite farms and some subsistence farms that are unfortunately not large enough to achieve economies of scale unless highly specialized that sell lots of products to nearby cities that have a developed market.
I don't think politically views are the ultimate deciding factor regarding the future of many rural areas in the US. Regardless of how much many would prefer to live in a rural area or small town, they just don't offer the opportunities or upside potential compared to larger metro areas.
Pennsylvania also has far different population age structure demographics compared to most states in the US with amongst the highest median ages overall. Elderly people, in general, tend to lean more conservative with many counties in PA having a higher total percentage of the population over age 65 than under age 18. That is a trend that will accelerate over the next 10-20 years as few younger people stay/remain in the state.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:09 PM

161 posts, read 166,644 times
I'm not particularly proud about living in rural America, though so agree rural America decided this election. Rural America is the vast majority of geographical space in this country. What maters is not if you live urban or rural but where in the country you live. Someone living in rural Vermont probably has allot of cultural differences as opposed to someone living in rural Georgia. Not sure what the point of the OP is.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:31 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,003,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Sure...that shows up in the electoral college that the more rural areas' "weight" was captured even though Clinton won the popular vote.

Now lets see if a NYC born and bred millionaire really can look into the soul of someone living on a farm outside a town of 5,000! You're also not likely to benefit greatly from "infrastructure" if he even comes through on that...but sure - come back in a couple years and see what you think.
Yep. It'll be a laugh as all the Trump-suckers realize that electing a sleazebag like him - a immature sociopath and sexual predator who pays neither his taxes nor his employees - was such a "great" idea.

Laughable lunacy. Trump's entire career is built upon cheap labor, overseas manufacturing, and using the system to exploit others in various twisted legal ways. While I can understand why people would reject Hillary - I didn't like her either - turning around and voting for Trump is the height of idiocy. He's basically the same thing, only worse in every way. But he's able to use buzz-phrases, fake courage, and stir up racism, so I guess that's "good enough" for some people... Idiocracy at its finest.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:21 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,859,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
Do you agree? Disagree....thoughts?
I've lived in major cities almost my entire life. I am growing to hate them. I would much rather be in a suburb or small town. I'm glad the election went the way it did and I'm not even a Republican. I'm looking for a low cost of living (and less TAXES!) without all the government interference.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:16 PM

2,597 posts, read 1,329,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Thank the people who formed this country that we don't. Want to be dictated to by 5 states? If we went that route, those 5 states would be who the candidates cared about, anyone NOT living in the other 45 would suffer...You REALLY want it that way?
Well, if those states are where most people choose to live.....
You still have the Senate and the state governments to protect rural interests.
Right now the system is too stacked against voters in the larger states.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:57 PM

173 posts, read 180,354 times
Not just rural America. I think most people were surprised by the amount of minorities and women that voted for Trump. Dems thought they had those groups without a doubt. The combination of those groups, rural, and some increased 3rd party votes together could be how trump won. Then again, did people really think after 8 yrs of Dem it wouldn't change. Seems to always cycle- or at least in recent history.

I hope he does improve the lives of the middle class and rural America, otherwise I do not see anything good coming from him. Everyone wants to point fingers- you're a Hillary supporter or a trump supporter. Most people I know did not like or had strong reservations about both. So much media interference on both side about non-issues. Not many people willing to come to the table and talk the issues out anymore. No one is willing to compromise, everyone demands to get their way. I am worried and have my reservations.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,290,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Why you don't understand is government lies. Medicare and social security started out as not means tested yet now they are. The gov takes on step with limits but those limits disappear over time. I think some liberals worship the government that is how they help people not by volunteering their time and money preferring the gov force all to pay. See they know what is best for the use of other peoples money or so they think
A HUGE number of charitable/nonprofit organizations that exist to benefit the needy are run by socially progressive, liberal-leaning organizations.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:28 AM

4,315 posts, read 3,961,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
A HUGE number of charitable/nonprofit organizations that exist to benefit the needy are run by socially progressive, liberal-leaning organizations.
A HUGE number of charitable/nonprofit organizations that exist to benefit the needy are run by socially conservative-leaning organizations.

Yet, social pro-choice liberals refuse to acknowledge this when they utter their liberal mantra........" pro life people don't care once the baby is born "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living