Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 01:19 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,188,203 times

Advertisements

I travel a lot in my job around 3-4 states..
while in one break room having lunch, a lady brought up the election I didn't say much (keep my views to myself usually) then one young man around 21 spoke up and said " I'm more democrat than republican,,,,but they make me feel when I wake up in the morning,,,i have to apologize for who I am...a young white guy

"i didn't do anything to any minorities" but am made to feel responsible because of white privilege and white guilt.... ive had enough of this pc crap"

I said who is or can speak up on your behalf??? a white guy cant because of the 98% liberal media will turn you into a "racist" within 2 minutes ...

and he said,,,right there is why I'm not voting democrat this year....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 01:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,523,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
A HUGE number of charitable/nonprofit organizations that exist to benefit the needy are run by socially conservative-leaning organizations.
That doesn't make my assertion any less accurate.

Quote:
Yet, social pro-choice liberals refuse to acknowledge this when they utter their liberal mantra........" pro life people don't care once the baby is born "
Many pro-life people don't. They argue vociferously that women should always give birth to children, and then argue just as vociferously against programs in place to financially support those same women and children. The people who do this aren't usually the people who work for social service organizations and pro-family charities, though. There are pro-life people who are very active in caring for the children born into negative situations, and pro-life people who absolutely don't see that as a priority or moral imperative at all, although they for whatever reason did see it as a moral imperative to try to ensure that abortion access is as limited as possible. You can say, "No, nobody thinks that," but it's pretty dishonest.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:34 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,479,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Yup, every other single wide had a Trump banner in front. If only they interviewed those folks, I bet they would generate plenty of brain pearls for a comedy and a horror movie. I've talked to.some, it was surreal, perrenial ignorance wrapped into gullible retardation and sprinkled with bigotry and masochism, plenty to be proud of.
This blatantly stereotypical assumption is wrong. On our 3 week camping trip we met and spoke with a hunter/surveyor, retired Hanford scientists, farmers, ranchers (successful large scale), retirees who were hunting/fishing/camping. Most were well-spoken and most were upset at the political correctness doctrine that calls them racist for not wanting refugees dumped in their communities and for illegal aliens intruding into the construction jobs. These were good honest hard-working people. Do not paint such a broad brush.

Old 11-27-2016, 06:36 PM

483 posts, read 417,787 times
Was back at my in laws for Thanksgiving.

The older Amish guy (late 40 early 50?) with his brother who put up the my in laws barn in 2 days told my mother in law that their dad has a total of 65 grandkids.

Many of them voting age, who voted for Trump.

And yes, think there is an actual interview of Amish who voted for Trump somewhere.

@ why PA is red.

P.S. Amish will not bear arms against others.. but the men are avid hunters.

Last edited by Romaneats; 11-27-2016 at 06:44 PM..

Old 11-28-2016, 06:03 AM

338 posts, read 616,571 times
The Amish, which usually don't vote, registered in Huge numbers this election. They carried the state of Penna for Trump and were also a major factor in Indiana as well.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:12 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,885,917 times
Living in PA I can tell you that even the counties surrounding Pittsburgh went for Trump (at 58% or more) and they are historically Democrat with few Amish. I knew Hillary was going to have a problem when there were huge turnouts for Trump in the old mill towns of Beaver County.

The way my Democrat friends and acquaintances are behaving after the election, I will never vote Democrat again.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:17 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,929,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
Do you agree? Disagree....thoughts?
Yeah, the 19.3 percent of Americans living in rural areas all went to the polls and every last one voted for Trump. Meanwhile, the 80.7 percent of Americans living in urban areas stayed home, although 3 did venture out to put in a write-in vote for Bernie. I live in a place so rural and isolated, you can barely find it on the map. Needless to say my county went for Buffoon Boy, except me who also wrote in Bernie's name. Take that Denver! Bet you're sorry now Boulder! Burn in hell Colorado Springs! Yet strangely enough, despite the vote from rural Colorado, the rest of the state is now a nice shade of blue. Must of been voter fraud.

I guess the fact that nationwide, Hillary won the popular vote is just more election tampering. Seems like everything is all smoke and mirrors these days. I would imagine that OP feels the election was won by people with a rural outlooks even if they live in the big city, not merely won by demographic means. As I recall, my ancestors in the South tried that one in the War Between the States with very discouraging results.

I have almost always lived in rural mountain areas, starting out in Eastern Kentucky where I was born, now living in the mountains of far SW Colorado. Not sure what you mean by being proud of living in a rural area. In Colorado at least, no one has built a wall around the state and people come and go as they please. I don't feel the need to be praised or proud that I live at the ends of the earth. It suits me here, so I stay on.

The more I consider your comments about being proud to be from rural America the more upset and insulted - yes insulted - I feel. I still have family back near the Cumberland Gap, and I was raised in a very wonderful church called the First Christian Church of the Disciples of Christ. Bet you have one of their churches out your way since geographically we come from the same hardscrabble region. My Maw-Maw used to sing hymns as she did her housework and my Daddy made sure I was sitting in the pew next to him almost every Sunday. I was taught to be courteous and to care about my neighbors by time I was 6 years old. My Dad was career military, yet never once did I ever hear him utter a cuss word. My Maw-Maw's worst epithet was "Law, child. What am I going to do with you?" I realize times have changed, but certain things are still unacceptable - especially "back home." A man with a disability would never be mocked as Trump did. That man was doing his best -trying to work and stay off the disability roles. You don't make fun of someone just because they're different and it makes you feel superior for a second or two. Anyone that arrogant and mean would not be welcomed at my country family's table.

My Daddy taught me that women were to be respected and that any man who was bigger than a woman and use his superior strength to hit her or worse was no man and to let him know if ever I wasn't treated right so he could go straight over and whoop the daylights out of the offender. I can't even imagine my Maw-maw's response to Trump's crude descriptions of his actions toward women. And Trump knew he was being taped, so I don't buy his "locker room talk" excuse. Ever listen to Hank Williams? No? "We say grace and we say ma'am and if you're ain't into that, we don't give a damn?" (Country Folks Can Survive). I'm with Hank. The president of the United States does get caught being recorded while saying such nasty things about ANYONE, woman included. My rural family would never ever tolerate such vile words.

The tax cuts Trump promises billionaires would be met with a knowing roll of the eyes and his promises to cut taxes on those with lower incomes would be treated with outright skepticism. Kentucky farmers and miners have been treated to just a few too many empty promises. We're not stupid, thank you very much.

Plus, Trump is an outright liar many times over. Example: He wouldn't reveal his tax returns like every candidate has done for at least the last 50 years. Finally, we are told Trump never revealed the state of his taxes because he used loop holes not to pay any. Where I come from that's called tax evasion. Trump calls it being clever and looks to be praised for not performing his civic duty. Example: He can't stand the idea that he won only because of the Electoral College and demands recounts in every state that didn't come running when he commanded it to heel. He did this to Colorado and we're all pretty unhappy about Trump's accusation of voter fraud here. The majority of Colorado's voters loathe you, Mr. Trump. Get over it. Etc., etc., etc.

So to sum it up, OP considers a Christian upbringing as a hindrance to be over-come so that the "cool kids" have no qualms about voting for his candidate. With it Americans who have shed a tiresome set of morals should now rejoice that they can be as cruel as they wish to the disabled; enjoy sex with whoever they please whether the object of their desire wants anything to do with them or not; re-write the Constitution to emphasize that the official religion of the US is Evangelical Fundamentalism - unbelievers need not apply; people who have brown skin will never be real citizens even if born here; and that torture techniques which have been the subject of every humanitarian treaty including the Geneva Convention can now be ignored by the US. Sociopaths, please line up at your local recruiting office tomorrow by 8 am sharp.

The above may be OP's rural values but they bear no relationship to the values I and my rural family hold dear. In fact, OP owes an apology to every last one of us, but somehow I ain't holding my breath.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:40 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,866,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Yeah, the 19.3 percent of Americans living in rural areas all went to the polls and every last one voted for Trump. Meanwhile, the 80.7 percent of Americans living in urban areas stayed home, although 3 did venture out to put in a write-in vote for Bernie. I live in a place so rural and isolated, you can barely find it on the map. Needless to say my county went for Buffoon Boy, except me who also wrote in Bernie's name. Take that Denver! Bet you're sorry now Boulder! Burn in hell Colorado Springs! Yet strangely enough, despite the vote from rural Colorado, the rest of the state is now a nice shade of blue. Must of been voter fraud.

I guess the fact that nationwide, Hillary won the popular vote is just more election tampering. Seems like everything is all smoke and mirrors these days. I would imagine that OP feels the election was won by people with a rural outlooks even if they live in the big city, not merely won by demographic means. As I recall, my ancestors in the South tried that one in the War Between the States with very discouraging results.

I have almost always lived in rural mountain areas, starting out in Eastern Kentucky where I was born, now living in the mountains of far SW Colorado. Not sure what you mean by being proud of living in a rural area. In Colorado at least, no one has built a wall around the state and people come and go as they please. I don't feel the need to be praised or proud that I live at the ends of the earth. It suits me here, so I stay on.

The more I consider your comments about being proud to be from rural America the more upset and insulted - yes insulted - I feel. I still have family back near the Cumberland Gap, and I was raised in a very wonderful church called the First Christian Church of the Disciples of Christ. Bet you have one of their churches out your way since geographically we come from the same hardscrabble region. My Maw-Maw used to sing hymns as she did her housework and my Daddy made sure I was sitting in the pew next to him almost every Sunday. I was taught to be courteous and to care about my neighbors by time I was 6 years old. My Dad was career military, yet never once did I ever hear him utter a cuss word. My Maw-Maw's worst epithet was "Law, child. What am I going to do with you?" I realize times have changed, but certain things are still unacceptable - especially "back home." A man with a disability would never be mocked as Trump did. That man was doing his best -trying to work and stay off the disability roles. You don't make fun of someone just because they're different and it makes you feel superior for a second or two. Anyone that arrogant and mean would not be welcomed at my country family's table.

My Daddy taught me that women were to be respected and that any man who was bigger than a woman and use his superior strength to hit her or worse was no man and to let him know if ever I wasn't treated right so he could go straight over and whoop the daylights out of the offender. I can't even imagine my Maw-maw's response to Trump's crude descriptions of his actions toward women. And Trump knew he was being taped, so I don't buy his "locker room talk" excuse. Ever listen to Hank Williams? No? "We say grace and we say ma'am and if you're ain't into that, we don't give a damn?" (Country Folks Can Survive). I'm with Hank. The president of the United States does get caught being recorded while saying such nasty things about ANYONE, woman included. My rural family would never ever tolerate such vile words.

The tax cuts Trump promises billionaires would be met with a knowing roll of the eyes and his promises to cut taxes on those with lower incomes would be treated with outright skepticism. Kentucky farmers and miners have been treated to just a few too many empty promises. We're not stupid, thank you very much.

Plus, Trump is an outright liar many times over. Example: He wouldn't reveal his tax returns like every candidate has done for at least the last 50 years. Finally, we are told Trump never revealed the state of his taxes because he used loop holes not to pay any. Where I come from that's called tax evasion. Trump calls it being clever and looks to be praised for not performing his civic duty. Example: He can't stand the idea that he won only because of the Electoral College and demands recounts in every state that didn't come running when he commanded it to heel. He did this to Colorado and we're all pretty unhappy about Trump's accusation of voter fraud here. The majority of Colorado's voters loathe you, Mr. Trump. Get over it. Etc., etc., etc.

So to sum it up, OP considers a Christian upbringing as a hindrance to be over-come so that the "cool kids" have no qualms about voting for his candidate. With it Americans who have shed a tiresome set of morals should now rejoice that they can be as cruel as they wish to the disabled; enjoy sex with whoever they please whether the object of their desire wants anything to do with them or not; re-write the Constitution to emphasize that the official religion of the US is Evangelical Fundamentalism - unbelievers need not apply; people who have brown skin will never be real citizens even if born here; and that torture techniques which have been the subject of every humanitarian treaty including the Geneva Convention can now be ignored by the US. Sociopaths, please line up at your local recruiting office tomorrow by 8 am sharp.

The above may be OP's rural values but they bear no relationship to the values I and my rural family hold dear. In fact, OP owes an apology to every last one of us, but somehow I ain't holding my breath.
Thankyou for this timely and thoughtful response.
Your family sounds like my best friends family- farming folk of NE Arkansas for many many generations, just lovely, solid people.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:07 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,929,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I travel a lot in my job around 3-4 states..
while in one break room having lunch, a lady brought up the election I didn't say much (keep my views to myself usually) then one young man around 21 spoke up and said " I'm more democrat than republican,,,,but they make me feel when I wake up in the morning,,,i have to apologize for who I am...a young white guy

"i didn't do anything to any minorities" but am made to feel responsible because of white privilege and white guilt.... ive had enough of this pc crap"

I said who is or can speak up on your behalf??? a white guy cant because of the 98% liberal media will turn you into a "racist" within 2 minutes ...

and he said,,,right there is why I'm not voting democrat this year....
This.

I'm completely fed up with the way people blame others for their problems while admonishing those less well off than they are to "Pull themselves up by their bootstraps." The young man you quoted sounds just like one of the malcontents who live around here. I blank them out. But you with your theoretically greater experience of life fall right along into his shallow complaints as if you were a drowning man in dire need of rescue that only a callow boy could provide. That way you can both go under, complaining of how unfair life is with your final breath. Do get back to us and let us know how well that works out for you.

Cultivate an attitude of despair and tell yourself that one person (you) can't change anything and in fact, white males in general live horrible lives always under the lash of PC and minorities who get all the goodies that should have been handed to you, but weren't. This is just horse feathers. The reason it feels that there is less to go around is because there IS less to go around. Just one example: Once upon a time it was free for an instate resident to attend his state university. Then for various reasons - generally having to do with greed and politics - states stopped supporting their institutions of higher learning. Instead, they began to charge more and more tuition money to their students. The reason a young person must mortgage his future for the sake of his education is not because all minority members get to have a free ride - far from it. It's more about the misappropriation of state funds by professional politicians looking to feather their own nests. This country has finally given up on a real democracy and instead has become an oligarchy with its citizens pretending that the Emperor still has some clothes. It also helps to set people against one another, so that they won't be able to see what's really going on. Stuff like the obscene and ever increasing divide between the billionaire class and the rest of us. The billionaires' bank accounts grow, everyone else's decreases and Congress and the rest of our so-called government work to ensure that the their patrons like the Walton Family and the Koch bothers remain happy.

Well, if that's where you want your country to go, then go there with it. Personally, I have better things to do. One person can make a difference. I know because I have and more than once. You think you have it bad? That's pretty damn funny to this disabled woman living on a tiny social security check. But unlike you, I refuse to be made useless. I will not give in to despair. I'm a fighter and an activist and I've gotten to live one hell of a life as a result. You sound like some tired old man ready for the glue factory. I'm 65 and I'm training to walk 400 miles across the state of Colorado to help bring attention to the awful health care we get in rural Colorado. Your constant whining is simply uncalled for, you poor white male, you. Do something with your life before it's too late.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:19 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,990,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post

(6th paragraph) you mention "Kentucky miners".

Are those miners included in Hillary's boast of .....shutting down the coal industry ?

If coal miners still support Hillary after that comment, they must love welfare over working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living