Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 06:38 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkiss View Post
I love the roosters crowing. To me it is a peaceful sound. Barking dogs not so much including my own 6. Cows mooing also is peaceful.
You wouldn't think cows mooing was peaceful if you ever had to listen to a herd of beef cows mooing for 36 hours straight when their spring calves got weaned off and hauled away in November.

After 24 hours their throats are hoarse and the sound gets on your nerves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 08:39 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
You wouldn't think cows mooing was peaceful if you ever had to listen to a herd of beef cows mooing for 36 hours straight when their spring calves got weaned off and hauled away in November.

After 24 hours their throats are hoarse and the sound gets on your nerves.
I hope you aren't complaining about them with a mouth full of steak.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:43 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
I hear far more dog barking on my suburban street than I ever did on our 80-acre spread growing up. Fewer coyotes, though.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Roosters are much worse in Hawaii and Asia. Daily dog fight at 4am when living in thailand. 5 am roosters, 6am motorbikes, Disco only goes till 3 am, so pretty good sleeping from 3-4 am.

USA dogs are really bad, cuz owners NEVER hear their own dogs barking.

For 28 yrs, I got home from work at 2:30am. Neighbor left his seven dogs out ar 4:30am. They were still barking at 2pm when I left for work. Ironically many USA dog owners think more dogs mean 'company' for what they thought was their 'lonely' dog. No such sense with 'pack' animals. They incite each other to no good.

Me farm dogs bark at only one person.... the tax assessor! Good dog, don't let them out of the car.

Of course my farm dogs don't bark cuz they want to get in the house. They are never in the house, and have a great time outdoors exploring.

'Service dogs' have really added a lot of stress to airtravel this yr. you can get your service 'pass' online from a fake dr, so service dogs are up about 500%. Same in my rental homes. For the first time in 40 yrs, I started getting threatened with 'service animals', Every applicant in the last yr now has a 'service' dog. So I just sold 4 of my rentals. Time to find a new source of income. Mobile dog washing...

Old 11-20-2016, 10:17 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,249,721 times
I enjoy all the country sounds; they don't bother me at all. I also love the sound of trains, even at night. We lived for a few years with a train track running along my parents' property. Didn't bother me at all. Now I live in a suburban area but at night I can hear trains in the distance (can't hear them during the day with the traffic, etc). I love it!

Old 11-20-2016, 10:21 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
I grew up in a railroading community, and my first apartment, through most of my twenties, was literally in a BNSF switching yard (it was a late 1800s vintage brick structure that had served as a rail passenger boarding house). I could look out my east-facing windows and wave to the people in Amtrak's Sightseer Lounge car when the train would stop at the depot on the other side of the tracks, because they were at the level of my second floor windows and about 20 yards away from me.

I live within audible distance of the tracks, still, albeit in a different state and much larger community, and I love it. It reminds me of my hometown.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:07 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,075,840 times
The last time I was bothered by roosters, was when I lived in the middle of a small city of 50k people. Out here in the country, not so much, people are spread out so the roosters are far enough away not to be a significant noise issue.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:17 AM

19 posts, read 31,737 times
I'm having a hard time adjusting to rural / small town life but I can't say the sounds of Roosters or Cows bother me in the least. For whatever reason the Roosters I do hear seem to be later in the morning 10-11am. Now that it's winter and the windows are closed I don't hear them at all.

Tons of cows directly across the street, from where I'm typing I could almost throw a rock to them. The sounds at night they make our interesting and other then the fact I worry I could not notice a bear approaching because of the cows the sounds don't bother me. The dogs barking are usually "working" vs being annoying so their owners put them in the back in the city.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:52 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
I hope you aren't complaining about them with a mouth full of steak.
I complained about them when they were my cows.

Nothing I could do about that annual ritual.

All animals (including humans) got to be weaned from their mommy at some point.

Old 11-21-2016, 09:52 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
I live in the city now and when I put seed out for the birds and crows come I love hearing them. I chuckle and just hear them as of they are talking to each other. Like a conversation. When I move to a more rural area I will just hear the animals as if they are just talking to each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living