U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 05:12 PM

9,215 posts, read 17,182,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't see that. The author's views on religious fundamentalists clearly seem to have been shaped by a religion that was dominant in the author's life. Not dominant in his geographical area. And I don't see this as pointing to Mormonism at all.
Maybe you don't. But I grew up with Mormons. Lots of Mormons. And lots of the Mormons I grew up with have expressed their frustrations with the church from that time until now. And in support of them I have read many books, articles, and blogs written by others who have left the church. And I'm judging my belief largely on the fact that the tone in this article is similar to both the voices of my friends who are or have been frustrated with Mormonism and the writings of the others.

And, low and behold, it turns out that the author is, in fact, ex-Mormon according to these other blogs he has authored:

Forsetti's Justice: What God Wants-The Gap and Credit for The Big...

Forsetti's Justice (scroll to the second post)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 05:14 PM

9,215 posts, read 17,182,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I need to add, I'm not saying that the author isn't from a Mormon background, or isn't from a community that Mormonism didn't dominate. But the author is talking about rural America, about rural America in places like Wisconsin or Michigan, the rural areas that swung this election in Trump's favor. He's talking about rural America in a larger context. Which is why I stated in my original post that it's clear the author came from a fundamental religious background, but that doesn't represent rural America as a whole.
I agree with this. I think we've just been on different pages of the same book.

Old 11-30-2016, 08:44 PM

18,448 posts, read 5,001,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
An Insider's View: The Dark Rigidity of Fundamentalist Rural America | Alternet

I've never lived in rural areas so I have no idea if his depiction is correct.

comments?
Let me paint a picture.

When we were 20, my wife and I decided to move from the east coast to the "country". In our case, we first ended up in rural WV, where the local populace was getting slightly mixed in with a small group of "hippies" (like us) who were looking to move "back to the land".

When we came driving down out of the mountains that separate Virginia (and civilization) from WV, the first thing we saw was a a group being baptised in the River. It was a scene right out of the movies!

I remember walking up the "hollow" and the first thing I noticed was the old men sitting outside on the porches with the TV on. Guess what was playing? Yep, Televangelists! This was 1971.

We got invited to a local church for a "sale" and a service. We are not Christian. I assume it was Pentecostal, because by the end of the service they were speaking in tongues.

OK, so there are SOME memories. Also, I remember visiting someone and needed to use the bathroom...was sent out to the outhouse. I looked down and the hole was open...a small stream ran below.

A guy we met told us they had not seen a black person since about 1950 when one came through on the train - and was accused of rape. None has been seens since.

Let me stop for a moment and say we met MANY really nice and warm people. That included some of the people who are discussed above. People trusted us - one business gave me an expensive chainsaw on credit even though I had just moved there (and was renting). That guy ended up inviting us over for a meal - heck, I lived in some places in the mid-atlantic for 25 years and was never invited to a stranger's table.

After WV we moved to TN. Much more civilized....and plenty of black people lived in the small towns and rural areas (separately, of course). Still, the local gas station made sure you could still see the "no colored" on the bathroom door (they used watered-down paint) and a plaque on a building in the local town proclaimed the Founding of the KKK.

Still, many of the locals in TN were quite smart...not educated in the Harvard Sense, but good businesspeople, mechanics and entrepreneurs. It was different than WV - not something I blame on the people in WV (although they are largely a product of isolation), but more on the economy. WV is poor while TN is quite well to do.

Anyway, that's a small window into that world.
On the other hand I have been to VERY rural areas in VT, NH and even Maine and many of them are quite civilized. This is due to many factors - many recent residents are escapees from the big cities. They are closer in distance to educational opportunities and generally progressive places.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:01 AM

269 posts, read 164,983 times
What a stupid article, I could not stand to even read half.

If you want to know why Trump won:
  • Liberals automatically calling anyone and everyone who doesn't agree with them racist, homophobic, xenophobic, misogynist, fascist, alt-rights, etc..
  • Facebook's "Occupy Democrat"
  • Men in women's bathrooms.
  • Black Lives Matter - Cop hater BS.
  • Hillary is a liar.
  • Political correctness.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:13 PM

31,908 posts, read 17,600,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyMaeB View Post
What a stupid article, I could not stand to even read half.

If you want to know why Trump won:
  • Liberals automatically calling anyone and everyone who doesn't agree with them racist, homophobic, xenophobic, misogynist, fascist, alt-rights, etc..
  • Facebook's "Occupy Democrat"
  • Men in women's bathrooms.
  • Black Lives Matter - Cop hater BS.
  • Hillary is a liar.
  • Political correctness.
The POC forum is that way >>>>>>>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or