U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 02:59 AM

274 posts, read 181,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The problem is rural America doesn’t understand itself and will NEVER listen to anyone outside their bubble. It doesn’t matter how “understanding” you are, how well you listen, what language you use…if you are viewed as an outsider, your views are automatically discounted.
(from the article)

IMO this author is a jackass....sounds like he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

Says he grew up in rural america. Trashes the land and its people yet puts on a flannel shirt and a cowboy hat for his by-line photo. Jerk.

Furthermore, I'm getting PUKING SICK of the term "flyover country" to describe where I live.

I believe the bold text applies to many liberals just as well.

Last edited by misterjimmy; 11-24-2016 at 03:26 AM.. Reason: Forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 03:07 AM

1,652 posts, read 829,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjimmy View Post
(from the article)

IMO this author is a jackass....sounds like he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

Says he grew up in rural america. Trashes the land and its people yet puts on a flannel shirt and a cowboy hat for his by-line photo. Jerk.

Furthermore, I'm getting PUKING SICK of the term "flyover country" to describe where I live.
The "f word". Both city and the county have their cultures. One is not better or worse than the other, just different. I perfer the county and small towns because that's where I feel most comfortable. The people are friendly and crime is something you don't have to worry about much.

Old 11-24-2016, 05:22 PM

13,126 posts, read 13,168,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
apples to oranges

Which fundamentalist Christian groups advocate killing non-believers ?
All of them. It's in the book.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:10 PM

11 posts, read 8,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Speaking of generalizations, not all rural Americans are involved in agriculture. Another big overgeneralization is that "rural people are farmers."
That is true. I grew up in a rural area, on land that was once part of a farm. My father grew up on a farm but was not a farmer during my lifetime. Also, it was quite common for people to have full-time non-farm jobs and farm a bit on the side. This was especially true for raising cattle or chickens. Really, where I grew up functioned a bit like the "suburbs" of a very small city. The county's population was around 40,000.

People in the area ranged from fairly uneducated to having doctoral degrees and they ranged from fundamentalist to liberal. If I had to give a generalization of the area, I'd say most people were conservative but not fundamentalist.

Old 11-25-2016, 07:58 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 15,253,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I agree. I'm one of those rural Trump voters. I have Masters degree, a couple thousand books in my personal home library, and have had a very successful career. The urban elite that are trying to define Trump voters haven't a clue because they've never actually gone to rural America and talked with anyone.
The writer did not say everyone fits that mold. As a Liberal myself I understand there are many well educated white rural folks doing very well financially but you are outnumbered by the folks he pointed out in his piece.
Hell, there are plenty of East Coast educated Liberals that are complete a holes and are even billionaires but because they are great con men they got themselves elected POTUS. Manly because they got the vote of the rural fundamentalists.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:15 PM

1,774 posts, read 941,364 times
The article doesn't appear to have anyone's name signed to it as the author. "Forsetti's Justice"? Who/what is that? "Shane Trotter"? That appears to be someone who has a portfolio on Shutterstock. If whoever wrote this won't sign it why should anyone take it as anything but a hit piece on rural Americans?

I would bet the farm (a rural expression) this was written by a disappointed Hillary voter who is p*****d that she lost and blames Trump's win on the "white, rural, fundamentalist racists" he thinks are to be demonized for voting for Trump.

FWIW Alternet is a far left site.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:18 PM

17,351 posts, read 14,453,165 times
Yet another person who can only think of racism, bigotry, etc as the reason their candidate lost. For some reason, many people who prescribe to the liberal/progressive ideology (whatever it is, as there is no one definition) are under the belief that their ideas/candidates are so great, that the only possible reason to disagree with them is because of racism, sexism, etc.

This guy is so far off the mark, and he knows it. He basically took the description of a closed group of people he knew/grew up around, and since it fits his narrative, he decided to use every stereotype available.

Like any other group, there is no one description of "rural America", except is is made up of people who live in rural areas.

I would love to rip the article apart piece by piece, but it is not even worth my time.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:10 PM

37,223 posts, read 43,439,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
I agree, I am sorry. I hope I didn't insinuate that. I just was stating that, that particular part of the article annoyed me very much and did not mean to generalize anyone. I apologize.
Not necessarily you. It's something I've noticed overall over the years. Especially to people who have no real experience with rural anything, "rural" automatically = "farmer." Comparatively few people actively farm in the last couple of generations, and farming is now highly corporate.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:14 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 15,253,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yet another person who can only think of racism, bigotry, etc as the reason their candidate lost. For some reason, many people who prescribe to the liberal/progressive ideology (whatever it is, as there is no one definition) are under the belief that their ideas/candidates are so great, that the only possible reason to disagree with them is because of racism, sexism, etc.

This guy is so far off the mark, and he knows it. He basically took the description of a closed group of people he knew/grew up around, and since it fits his narrative, he decided to use every stereotype available.

Like any other group, there is no one description of "rural America", except is is made up of people who live in rural areas.

I would love to rip the article apart piece by piece, but it is not even worth my time.
If your candidate had won by a substantial number I might agree with you but he only won because the less educated ignorant rural voters outnumbered the educated voters. It' just math.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:37 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,706,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If your candidate had won by a substantial number I might agree with you but he only won because the less educated ignorant rural voters outnumbered the educated voters. It' just math.
The fact Hillary got more total votes and 50 cents will get you coffee at Carol's Lakeview Restaurant in Cherokee Village Arkansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or