U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 04:09 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,714,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
same here...and we mind or own business....you will have "strangers" hold the door for you as you walk in a store or restaurant and men will jump to help a lady if shes carrying too much to her car/or holding a baby ..

we leave our houses and cars unlocked in the driveway without fear of being stolen,,
I haven't locked my front door for 25 yrs...
we leave our cars running to keep the car warm in the wintertime when we go in a store
without fear ...someone is going to steal it

we will stop and assist a car that's broken down and help the driver ...without fear... from the driver

we aren't overly religious at all...again we mind our own business
(2nd paragraph )

Not a good idea to leave your house unlocked at night.
A relative never locked her house in the small rural town an d one night two thugs from a big city tried to rob some houses. The first 3 houses were locked..........hers was not.

Result was a viscous murder of her and her teen daughter and teen son.

They passed on the first three houses when they tried the doors and they were locked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 05:21 PM

3,460 posts, read 1,936,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
[url=http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/rural-america-understanding-isnt-problem]An Insider's View: The Dark Rigidity of Fundamentalist Rural America | Alternet[/url]

I've never lived in rural areas so I have no idea if his depiction is correct.

comments?
So, may I assume you live in an urban area? Have you talked with people of all walks of life? Have you heard or met any bigots in your city? How about religious zealots? How about people who thrive on Limbaugh, Hannity, and FOX? Intellectuals vs. dropouts doing grunt work? You see, you're likely to find people everywhere are pretty similar. Of course a small town out in farm country is going to feel a lot different than a big city, different needs, different relationships, different resources.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:42 PM

2,240 posts, read 2,178,879 times
Never saw on TV: "At 6:00, street riots in buttf West Virginia tonight".

Old 11-27-2016, 08:25 AM

2,952 posts, read 1,756,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
I lived in a rural area for twenty years. While I agree that rural and/or poor whites are often the targets of extreme bigotry, I regretfully have to say that I find much of this article to be spot-on.
He even mentions repeatedly deep red americaa, which I'm guessing the midwest. Not rural areas like in the blue states.

Having spent a good portion of my life in these states, although in the big cities. Some of the past forward thinking states that are red now used to be very blue. Glad I moved. Look at who they vote in as congressmen and senators. That will tell you about the state as a whole. One state voted in a farmer who talked about her pig crap on her hands while running. Oh yeah she's a real winner.

In the 80's, there uses to be a joke about turning your clock back 10 years when entering this state. Now I think 70 years might be more appropo.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:35 AM

5,670 posts, read 3,923,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Funny, "rednecks", "crackers", "hillbillies", " white trash" etc., meaning white men of lesser income regardless of their residence and education (neither education nor urban residence mean much without cash as far as labels and stereotypes go) are the last social group one can demean, insult, make fun of, feel superiror to, etc. without a bit of outcry, condemnation, or even a frown. Every social group insults them with impunity, even the lowest destitute ghetto types may crack a "redneck" joke not speaking of feeling superior to that particular group of the whites. Suprisingly, this particular kind of bigotry doesnt offend coastal "elites" in the least. Everybody has to feel superior to something. In the case of the USA, "rednecks" and "white trash", not minorities or gosh forbid blacks, are that special group everybody else uses as a punching bag and a reference point for one's self worth.
We are having revenge parties . The elites just don't know what to do since The Donald took over.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:53 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,714,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
He even mentions repeatedly deep red americaa, which I'm guessing the midwest. Not rural areas like in the blue states.

Having spent a good portion of my life in these states, although in the big cities. Some of the past forward thinking states that are red now used to be very blue. Glad I moved. Look at who they vote in as congressmen and senators. That will tell you about the state as a whole. One state voted in a farmer who talked about her pig crap on her hands while running. Oh yeah she's a real winner.

In the 80's, there uses to be a joke about turning your clock back 10 years when entering this state. Now I think 70 years might be more appropo.
Hillary, also, made condescending remarks about Trump supporters when she was confident she would win.

Trump will be sworn in as president president and Hillary will not.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:19 PM
46H

1,084 posts, read 663,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
We are having revenge parties . The elites just don't know what to do since The Donald took over.
The elites know exactly what to do, they head to Trump's front door for a job.

Betsy DeVos - nominee - Educ Secretary, family net worth - $5.1 billion
Todd Ricketts - nominee - Depty Commerce Sec, co owner of the Chi Cubs, family net worth - $1 billion
Ben Carson - nominee - HUD - net worth - $10 million
Steve Bannon - advisor - Harvard, Goldman Sachs, net worth $10 million

Other potential nominees -
Harold Hamm - net worth $15.3 billion
Wilbur Ross - Yale, Harvard - net worth $2.9 billion
Mitt Romney - Harvard, net worth $250 million
Rudy Guliani - net worth $45 million
Steve Mnuchin - Yale, Goldman Sachs, net worth $45 million
Jeff Sessions - worked as a US Attorney, Attorney General (Ala) and US Senator for most of his career and somehow has a net worth $7.5 million

No elites on that list.......
The more things change the more they stay the same.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:45 PM

5,670 posts, read 3,923,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
The elites know exactly what to do, they head to Trump's front door for a job.

Betsy DeVos - nominee - Educ Secretary, family net worth - $5.1 billion
Todd Ricketts - nominee - Depty Commerce Sec, co owner of the Chi Cubs, family net worth - $1 billion
Ben Carson - nominee - HUD - net worth - $10 million
Steve Bannon - advisor - Harvard, Goldman Sachs, net worth $10 million

Other potential nominees -
Harold Hamm - net worth $15.3 billion
Wilbur Ross - Yale, Harvard - net worth $2.9 billion
Mitt Romney - Harvard, net worth $250 million
Rudy Guliani - net worth $45 million
Steve Mnuchin - Yale, Goldman Sachs, net worth $45 million
Jeff Sessions - worked as a US Attorney, Attorney General (Ala) and US Senator for most of his career and somehow has a net worth $7.5 million

No elites on that list.......
The more things change the more they stay the same.
So elite = wealth, I get it.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:35 PM

13,155 posts, read 13,198,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Not in any "book" I read !
That's not uncommon. Fundamentalists claim to worship the Bible, but never read it.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:55 PM

13,155 posts, read 13,198,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Congratulations, your team won. That and $50 will get you a $50 reduction in your food stamps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or