Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 01:21 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,227,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Why Can Many Rural People Be So Paranoid Of Crime? (Story) (lake, houses)

I can't speak for other rural people but, if I have any paranoia regarding criminal nature, it's derived from having lived in large urban areas before coming out to rural America. However, I have found little differences in people no matter where you find them. There are simply less of them in a rural setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 05:47 AM

1 posts, read 994 times
Default Rural Paranoia

Retired from city six months ago. Rural paranoia/daylight paranoia here beyond normal city-style Gift of Fear intuition caution. Went Googling for phenomenon. Psyche squad seems to think city is worse. All I can think is they've never studied my neighbors. If we could afford to move back to city, even suburbs, I'd do it in a heart beat!

Last edited by NewRuralist; 12-13-2018 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: adding sentence

Old 12-13-2018, 10:48 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,594,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I can't speak for other rural people but, if I have any paranoia regarding criminal nature, it's derived from having lived in large urban areas before coming out to rural America. However, I have found little differences in people no matter where you find them. There are simply less of them in a rural setting.
There are fewer criminals around, but when they’re bad, they’re really, really horrible. Good thing so many homeowners are prepared to use deadly force against them.

Old 12-19-2018, 03:30 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,504,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It's not that major crimes are a common problem. It's that at my place you're entirely on your own when they do happen. No neighbor in shouting distance. Hardly any cell signal at my cabin, and forget about the police coming out there in any reasonable amount of time (in winter if there's snow they'll be needing to literally drive to the end of the plowed town road, then unload a snowmobile to get the rest of the way in).
I'll second that post.

I live in a town just under 900, off a private dirt road with 8 other homes, my driveway Is 1/2 mile long, and my closest neighbor is over 1/2 mile away.

12 gauge is close by.

" In Cold Blood " could happen in anywhere USA.

Don't be a victim people, be prepared.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:55 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,677,003 times
I have lived in small town America, and in big city America. I am back in small town America in my late 80s.

Some things I have noticed over the years.

People moving from the big cities to small towns, have a hard time understanding small town America. They are used to seeing or hearing a police car every few minutes in the city, and in the country may not see one for days. This lack of seeing police seems to make them feel less safe, and afraid. In our town of 2,000 people, I may go months without seeing one on patrol, and like most long time rural dwellers realize that as they do not see a police car for days, means they are safer from other people endangering them, and there is nothing for the police to be out on patrol to look for.

In rural America most homes will have guns. But they are not in the home to protect the occupants, but there because they are hunters for deer, ducks, etc. Those people will know how to safely handle a gun, and can hit what they shoot at, so are not going to be the ones that panic shoot someone.

A true story of when I was young. I lived on a ranch 2 miles out of our small town. A man moved from the big city, to our rural area. Some co-workers were going hunting, and he got himself invited to go out with them. They separated, and went look for game. Suddenly he was shooting and shot several times. They went to see what he had shot. When they got there, he told them, he had not seen a deer, but he had several good sound shots, but apparently had not hit the deer that was making noise in the brush. The old timers realized he was just another crazy city hunter, and it could have been one or more of them he heard make some noise in the brush and took a shot at. They told him to go over to a big clump of brush, as he may have better luck there. They then all went to their cars, and left him out there 50 miles from home on a little used narrow state highway. They went to another area where it would be safe to hunt, away from this guy that shot blindly when he heard a noise. He did not get home for 2 days, and no one ever took him hunting again.

City people moving to rural areas, often have a hard time adjusting. They simply do not understand the culture in the area, and are not really wanting to fit in. They often start campaigns to bring in changes, so the rural area is like the cities they are fleeing. This makes them very much hated by the locals, that do not want the changes made in their area.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:10 AM

107 posts, read 111,622 times
As another poster said, it isn't the fear of the crime itself, moreso the fact that they are on their own if something happens. Where my parents have a farm in rural Upstate NY, at night there is only one or two county sheriff's on duty for the whole county, other police response would have to come from the State Troopers, and that's another hour wait if you're lucky. Also, the drug markets in rural areas are a moneypot for dealers. What sells for $10-$15 dollars on the streets of NYC can go for $40 or $50 dollars in rural areas of Vermont, for example, due to the scarcity of supply. I learned all this in 6+ years of working in the Department of Corrections at the prisons. This drives a lot of the city thugs into the small towns and country for the purpose of making that easy extra money. Crime is also a lot easier to hide in the country. If the nearest neighbor is a quarter mile away, they aren't going to hear or notice someone breaking into my house.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:19 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,320,459 times
In a small town or rural area, when crime happens to someone you likely know them. That makes it personal and if it can happen to someone you know the odds of it happening mean nothing as those same odds for the one who experienced it and whom you know. Its real in a small town not a city story or stats in a city where you do not know a victim.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 570 times
I have an honest theory about this, I live in a city but drive and work in rural markets. City customers are desensitized to human interaction and are much more willing to converse and discuss with you. Rural customers are very sensitive as they do not interact on a daily basis. They hear a terrible story about a robbery and 1 assume it to be truth, and 2 don’t receive positive or daily human contact to disprove the idea. Simply put, rural customers are generally mich more sensitive and require more attention than most of my clients from the city.

Old 10-09-2019, 04:44 PM

1,829 posts, read 3,161,362 times
What kind of work do you do?

Old 10-12-2019, 07:31 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,081,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannythekid722 View Post
I have an honest theory about this, I live in a city but drive and work in rural markets. City customers are desensitized to human interaction and are much more willing to converse and discuss with you. Rural customers are very sensitive as they do not interact on a daily basis. They hear a terrible story about a robbery and 1 assume it to be truth, and 2 don’t receive positive or daily human contact to disprove the idea. Simply put, rural customers are generally mich more sensitive and require more attention than most of my clients from the city.

My experience is the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living