Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 04:59 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times

Advertisements

I looked on meetup.com and I couldn't find a single meet up in North Dakota, although I didn't look exhaustively. You just go to meetup.com and check out your county and see.

Do you have a library? Sometimes they have resources of organizations or activities.

Do you live in a neighborhood? You could have a neighborhood barbecue.

Do you have friends from work?

Good luck with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 05:29 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
The grocery store huh? Do they chat over produce?
I laughed at him too but he was a real Dapper guy from Chicago who could draw a crowd. It worked for him, not for me. I volunteered at the local animal rescue and went out and got involved, eventually when you start bumping into the same people out.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:19 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
Quote:
I'm responding to your post from today (which I somehow missed and I think you're taking a wee bit personally). I've looked for clubs with hunting and fishing but haven't found squat unfortunately. I tried one but the president was so flaky so I gave up on that. Is Sierra Club that active in this part of the country? I don't think people under 50 join things like Elks or Moose anymore. I'll look but that's been my experience anyway. I am in a photo club but it's not too active.

You are right, I am taking it personally...I have read your responses to mine & other posters offers of help, and you are a "wee bit" sarcastic.

Establishing a social life in a rural area with no family or close friends nearby is a huge challenge...most people, like my family, lived there for generations, they have their social circle & life routines well-established, they don't need you...you need them.

Lotsa luck!

Old 05-10-2017, 05:08 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
You are right, I am taking it personally...I have read your responses to mine & other posters offers of help, and you are a "wee bit" sarcastic.

Establishing a social life in a rural area with no family or close friends nearby is a huge challenge...most people, like my family, lived there for generations, they have their social circle & life routines well-established, they don't need you...you need them.

Lotsa luck!
Maybe I am a bit sarcastic but I'm also honest and some of the posts I've heard are out of touch or completely misunderstanding the point. And trust me, I don't need people like the family and friends you're describing.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
I laughed at him too but he was a real Dapper guy from Chicago who could draw a crowd. It worked for him, not for me. I volunteered at the local animal rescue and went out and got involved, eventually when you start bumping into the same people out.
Funny. I've heard the laundromat is supposed to be a place to meet people.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:12 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,328 times
Quote:
Funny. I've heard the laundromat is supposed to be a place to meet people.
Is there a laundromat in your town?

Old 05-10-2017, 09:29 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,531,780 times
Try Bingo. Has to be somewhere near by.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
Is there a laundromat in your town?
There is but people don't tend to hang around there very long.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
Try Bingo. Has to be somewhere near by.
Doesn't bingo generally cater to the 65+ crowd? I'm not against playing bingo but that seems like it could be awkward.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:57 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Quote:
Doesn't bingo generally cater to the 65+ crowd? I'm not against playing bingo but that seems like it could be awkward.
Not necessarily. The people you meet might like you ("You're not like other Millennials; you play bingo with us!") and they'll want to hook you up with their daughters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living