Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 07:30 PM

757 posts, read 838,116 times

Advertisements

I am about to make my monthly HOA payment and now I feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 08:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
this whole thread is precisely why I LIKE living in a covenant-restricted neighborhood. Who wants to weave down their street to avoid cars parked everywhere, and live with a car graveyard parked all over their neighbor's property? No thanks.
It's the reason I won't live anywhere that has an HOA. The city does a good job banning non-operating vehicles from being visible (must be garaged or behind a fence) but I have no problem with people parking on the street. I find weaving around them to just make driving more fun. There is plenty of room or the city would designate that as a no parking zone. Here is an example in our neighborhood.
Attached Thumbnails
Neighbors with too many cars...-parked.png  

Old 03-29-2017, 12:13 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
I'm a very much live and let live philosophy...

Just don't encroach.

No problems for those that want or need structure and an HOA might be just the ticket.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:36 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
Try living in Portland, Oregon where they like to build apartment buildings with no parking for the tenants, who then park their cars all over the formally quiet neighborhoods next to their complexes......or the people who don't want to pay parking fees at the airport, so they just park their cars in a residential neighborhood next to one of Portland's light rail stations and leave them in front of someones house for a week or two.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,707 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Try living in Portland, Oregon ... so they just park their cars in a residential neighborhood next to one of Portland's light rail stations and leave them in front of someones house for a week or two.
Portland is a great place to buy 'Impounded cars' (3 towing companies were selling 600+ cars / week)

I got most my 50 mpg fleet for $35 each.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:30 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Street parking is a crap situation all the way around. I am glad to live in the country, real country. My neighbors on each side have several cars, as we do - all are parked in our driveways and garages, I can hardly see theirs, they can hardly see mine. Unless they let one roll through my fence, I am perfectly cool with whatever they want to do.

Long ago I lived in a subdivision and put my better cars in the garage, left my old, ragged air cooled VW Baja bug out on the street. Out in front of my own house. Some old biddy decided to complain, I got a call. OK, fine, it has not moved for a week, I'll move it then. Early Sunday morning, I fired it up (header with glass pack) and made it a point to warm it up damn good, then cut a couple of "hot laps" around the neighborhood in the snow. Mostly running about 4000 RPM.

Oddly enough, I never got another call the whole time I lived there.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:18 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times
I sympathize with the OP but what is described is pretty common in tightly packed suburban settings. Luck of the draw as to who you get for neighbors. It sounds like the lots are small and the houses close to the road, precluding having ample parking in the driveways and garages. Public roads are just that, public, and so the parking situation is going to be one of the hazards of living in settings like that.

The designers of such neighborhoods tend to want to maximize the number of units and don't concern themselves with what do people do that have lots of cars. Not that rural or small town living doesn't have it's own potential neighbor issues too, but at least we do have ample room for all of our vehicles.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:42 AM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
What does this have to do with rural and small town living? It sounds like a suburban and city issue.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:22 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
What does this have to do with rural and small town living? It sounds like a suburban and city issue.
Mostly it is, but someone who lives IN the town center of even a very small town can run into these issues. ai can think of many examples.

Old 03-30-2017, 09:27 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

........"small town living "..

Happens just as much there as in a suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living