Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 04:58 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Sounds nice but i always lock my doors it's not hard to do.
In a crime area you have to lock your doors. Whereas we have not locked our doors in 12 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 06:39 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
There's very little crime around here. We're like a little upper middle class haven in the middle of nowhere in Brookings, SD. Aurora and Volga are nice too.. well landscaped, clean, low crime, well maintained homes, mobile home parks generally hidden away where you don't see them. Two big employers, 3M and Bel Brands, have solid pay that actually let people live a solid middle class lifestyle and employ relatively large numbers of people, and there's a big labor shortage here also and a number of other manufacturing places, though I don't know what they all pay at this point.

Most of that has to do with the high number of Caucasians. Say what you want, but the more diversity you have, generally the more crime there is. It's just the truth. Not because of their skin color, but rather because of their cultural values and their upbringing...

I have no fear of being robbed in Aurora. None at all. 25% of the people in this town work at my plant. The winters are long, but other then that I love it.. I love the open space, how I can ride my bike and not run across much traffic, how I'm out on a gravel road during my jog after a couple of minutes and can jog for miles while maybe encountering a car or two.. the more packed together people are, the more irritated I get. lol

I love the no street lights idea. Out here on acreages they require a light in the yards, well my mother's burnt out for some years, and without that light, boy was it nice to stare at the stars at night on a night with a new moon... pitch black. There's no street lights outside my particular house because they are pretty spread apart in my small town. I like it that way. Street lights.. waste of energy, destroy the nice ambiance of a small town at night... I'd do without em or at least at the density many towns use them at. I've done my share of nighttime jogs in the country with only the moon for light. Very peaceful.

Last edited by sholomar; 06-17-2017 at 06:49 AM..

Old 06-17-2017, 09:10 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,696,237 times
It is much easier to notice unfamiliar faces and vehicles in a rural area than in a more populous one.

We will have a steel farm/cattle gate, barbed wire fencing (common in the area), and some hidden game cameras. That plus normal precautions of locking all doors when we are not there, or at night, should be sufficient. And a few MD lights at the buildings that will be manually switched off most of the time.

I bet every household has guns, and ours is no exception. We had them while living in an uberliberal town, LOL, imagine the horrors if people had known.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:06 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,934,737 times
There's some crime in the small town nearest to me - mostly domestic violence type stuff, a few break-ins - often carried out by family members or friends with a grudge, but nothing at all like the big city I escaped from. I live on a dirt road out in farm country and my nearest neighbors are maybe a half mile away. I have a big "farm gate" that I make sure to close at night and very bright lights at the front and side of the house that I keep turned off at night - even when I hear something out of the normal, I just step outside with my hound (who also sleeps in my bedroom) and let him go and then I just stand in the dark and listen. I know my property very well and could probably walk around here blindfolded if I wanted to. Any intruder is going to trip over any number of obstacles in the dark plus deal with my big dog. In addition, I have a 6'5 roommate who is ex-military and an excellent shot, plus he has a big dog of his own. I do lock my doors at night since I live a bit closer to a major road than I would like. Never had a problem so far and I've lived here for quite a while now.

The only incident that I've ever had was in broad daylight when I noticed a Native American staggering around in the fields across the road from me. I grabbed my cell phone and my hound (unleashed), went out and called over to ask the guy what he was doing. He replied that he was looking for his car keys. I asked him where his car was and he said, "Shiprock" - which is a town on the Navajo Rez about 20 miles from me. Needless, to say he had had a few drinks. I told him I'd be glad to call the County Sheriff to come help him look, but he declined my offer and said that he'd just go to his cousin's place instead. I watched him stagger out of sight down the road and never saw him again.

I exercise proper caution, but I'm not especially afraid of any crime out here. Sure, it could happen, but the odds as against say a neighborhood in Denver? Fairly small, I'd say.

Old 06-18-2017, 03:39 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In a crime area you have to lock your doors. Whereas we have not locked our doors in 12 years.
You have to lock your doors everywhere. I lived in one of the richest areas in Bucks County PA for a short time about a year and a half. I took a couple day vacation and returned home late forgetting to lock my car doors and the next morning i noticed someone broke into my car. My center console was open and glove box was open with everything scattered all over my seat. They stole some cash and a my tire pressure gauge lol

My point is there is no such thing as a "crime area" it happens everywhere. Locking a door takes a second i'm not lazy like that. In my case of not locking my car door was pure accidental it was late and i was exhausted from driving and forgot.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
You have to lock your doors everywhere.
Locking doors around here is extremely rare.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:15 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Locking doors around here is extremely rare.
Really how do you personally know most people where you live dont lock their doors?

Old 07-23-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Really how do you personally know most people where you live dont lock their doors?
It is okay to get to know your neighbors, talk to them.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:57 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
Quote:
I doubt anyone locks their doors where I live in rural MT. Guns & dogs are prevalent on a ranch though.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:58 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,940 times
Quote:
You have to lock your doors everywhere. I lived in one of the richest areas in Bucks County PA for a short time about a year and a half. I took a couple day vacation and returned home late forgetting to lock my car doors and the next morning i noticed someone broke into my car. My center console was open and glove box was open with everything scattered all over my seat. They stole some cash and a my tire pressure gauge lol

My point is there is no such thing as a "crime area" it happens everywhere. Locking a door takes a second i'm not lazy like that. In my case of not locking my car door was pure accidental it was late and i was exhausted from driving and forgot.
....."locking a door takes a second "....

Three of my cousin's neighbors locked their door.
My cousin did not.

The three neighbors lived that night.
My cousin and her teen daughter and teen son were killed by intruders that night.

When captured, they said they were needing gas money and the first three doors they tried were locked.

Small, peacefull central MN town.

The 2 thugs were from Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living