Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2017, 12:57 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,602,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
No, I don't like them. They get in my garden, and upset my cats!
And I recently had to slam on my brakes for one of them standing in the middle of a rural highway. It finally got scared and cleared the road. I don't care much for them in or out of town. Several years ago, one of them jumped through the window of one of the bedrooms of my house. I went to open the door to see what the hell the loud commotion was and in my shock at the sight, I barely got the door shut back in time as it came running toward me. I decided to loudly yell, curse, roar and scream at the deer from behind the closed door, and it worked to make it get away and jump back out the window. Here's a picture I snapped of a couple of them wondering in my town:

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 06-05-2017 at 01:09 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 05:49 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,052,350 times
I really don't like them coming close to my house because of some idiot neighbor I have who might decide and shoot one and miss and it go cruising through someones house injuring the people inside . But I don't like the fact that if you touch them and get them close to you . You run the risk of them losing their fear of people and that would mean their demise .

Old 06-05-2017, 05:59 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,928,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I really don't like them coming close to my house because of some idiot neighbor I have who might decide and shoot one and miss and it go cruising through someones house injuring the people inside . But I don't like the fact that if you touch them and get them close to you . You run the risk of them losing their fear of people and that would mean their demise .
True, that is a concern in the back of my mind though I don't think it would be a neighbor as much as some "visitor" to the region.

It is one reason why I don't clear out my cactus patches and don't take actions against my fire ant mounds; utilize my natural protections against the unwelcomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
And I recently had to slam on my brakes for one of them standing in the middle of a rural highway. It finally got scared and cleared the road......
Road speeds on the main road at 45 on the improved, 40 on the narrow. Off the main road, it is unmarked but I seldom push it above 30 mph and at night, I drop 5-10 off how fast I am going until I get to improved.

Be it deer, dogs, cats, raccoons, buzzards, owls, road runners, or the unknown with glowing eyes, just being wary when driving the country road seems to be the wise thing to do.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:19 AM

15,213 posts, read 10,277,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I don't mind them in my woods, but not in my garden. Unfortunately we're inside the "city limits" even though we're very rural so no one can hunt them. They're really overpopulated for the carrying capacity of the land and come winter time they are eating everything in sight to survive. The state needs to open up deer season and bag limits for a few years to get things back in line. And allow a long bow season inside city limits.

Unfortunately this happens when predators like wolves, panthers and the such are removed or killed.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:07 AM

3,696 posts, read 2,888,194 times
The area I live in is absolutely full of deer. I have lived in many different places but this particular area has to be the one which has the highest deer populations that I have seen to date.

I see them in the village by the creek and crossing the road all of the time and have seen them in the yard multiple times. When I work 2nd shift, it's one heck of an interesting commute home since I work 40 miles away and the only way home is via country highways. The speed limit is 55 but you're crazy if you go over 50...

Old 06-05-2017, 01:30 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,474,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The Coyotes and bears are a bigger concern
Yeah, I was gonna say... deer are only a problem for the pretty people from the cities! If you keep livestock, as we do, bears, coyotes, bobcats, foxes, and other carnivores can be a real problem.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:29 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,814,792 times
why would you live in a rural area if you didn't want to have wildlife around you? I live in a suburban area of Los Angeles but we have deer, bears, coyote, bobcats, mountain lions, rattle snakes among other animals and I'm always surprised when people where I live complain about the nuisance of animals.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:42 PM

11,754 posts, read 14,632,711 times
Sure. We have a group of about half a dozen that come through our woods and the whole neighborhood. We have seen a small buck once or twice, but that's unusual. We particularly enjoy watching the doe who had a broken leg about five years ago and somehow survived that winter (which we didn't expect) and all the years since then.

We've had bears in the neighborhood and I'd really like to see one, but so far no luck.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:02 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,378,583 times
hmmmm, supper

Old 06-05-2017, 04:46 PM

857 posts, read 956,813 times
I found 3 piles of poop; but 2 & 3 maybe same type... Can anyone ID the animal?

Do you like deer coming close to your house?-poop-1.jpg

Do you like deer coming close to your house?-poop-2.jpg

Do you like deer coming close to your house?-poop-3.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living