Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 08:06 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times

Advertisements

Not much of a note writer here. Can;t recall when I last wrote a note except a grocery list and that is usually in the car just before I go in the store because I forgot the list the wife left on the refrigerator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 08:44 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Nice thread. I live in rural area and have built a life of connectedness. Not on line, but face to face. I'd go crazy with a life of isolation and solitude. But that's just me. How do you guys do it?

Old 06-24-2017, 09:14 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
I enclosed a part of the back porch to serve as an office-- only 8 by 12 with a sliding glass door on one end looking out on the desert. It is my writing space and I write on my computer. I live in the high desert with one adjacent neighbor and lots of wildlife-- some rabbits and quail come up to the door and peer in. The area is very quiet, too quiet sometimes so I have a CD player in my office for mostly classical music. My cat sleeps on my desk while I'm writing which takes up space.

Before I had my office I used a desk in a spare bedroom. When I had house guests I had to relocate all of my stuff --- a pain.

Old 06-24-2017, 11:14 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Nice thread. I live in rural area and have built a life of connectedness. Not on line, but face to face. I'd go crazy with a life of isolation and solitude. But that's just me. How do you guys do it?
Well, maybe we don't quite do it but have it "contained".

Such as, for one thing, realizing that everyone around you is important. Not just your friends but everyone, from the mail man to the cashier to the waiter, every one. I won't use the automatic cashiers in a Wally World or HEB because I prefer a person.

Next, back in my foot race days, I would be part of the after race celebration as much as I could, staying as long as I could. I often didn't know anyone there but I was part of it.

Now, I have activities that get me out there that also contribute to my contemplating type nature, such as dancing, shows, and plays.

Finally, there are the friends that perhaps we don't see but a few times a year but we are connected with each other's life on line so when we do meet up, well, it's like the Sheraton commercial of "We Belong".

Old 06-25-2017, 03:12 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,078,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
As both my wife and hyself suffer from PTSD we find the isolation to be very beneficial and an escape from the hustle and bustle of city life which we can not handle.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:26 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,028,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Or perhaps the question should be about maintaining one's sanity.

Do you, those who have lived out in the country for a while, use a room that expands on the solitude or one that has the links, such as the computer and the Net, to the rest of the world?

I don't think it is a case of country living shock, where six months after arrival one is wondering "My God, what have I done?", but rather, just more of being an outsider from being a life time grave yard shift worker.

So for those who have lived out here for a while, what room of the house do you pick to reflect in?
Have you ever been to Ernest Hemingway's house in Key West? His writing room was a loft in back.

I am not a writer or big reader but he was an interesting guy and wrote some great books and was in awe to be in the room he wrote them. All his cats and the ocean, I learned a lot on that tour.

I like working with my hands so a writing room could be similar to a shop or art space, anywhere a person needs to be to sink themselves into what drives them. An office is not for me, I tried that. I need outdoors and near an ocean. The smell and sound of the ocean on a rough day, I am not a beach person, only when it is empty with rolling dunes of grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living